Bachmann cl105 & Loksound

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

This is my first post on this forum. I've recently come back to the hobby and a trip back to Lincolnshire from Canada filled me with nostalgia that culminated in me buying a Bachmann 105 in blue along with the Loksound v4 decoder from Howes.

After running in, I did a test install of the decoder and found that there wasn't enough clearance to put the body back on. Has anyone else found this? If you have, did you grind down the block over the motor, or take out some of the clear plastic inside the roof? Alternatively, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance for any help.

cheers

Jason

I fitted the LokSound 3.5 into a class 108 and had to sit the speaker and decoder on the seat backs in front of the motor block. It is not ideal and eventually I will do something better, probably including grinding down the recess in the top of the block to allow the decoder to sit there properly. That, in turn, will allow for relocation of the speaker.

I had the same problem with a Class 105 and Loksound 4 decoder I bought last month. My solution is not perfect - or totally unobtrusive. In a nutshell I loosened the ballast weight/motor block in the power car. I was then able to thread the speaker wires and decoder wires in the recess under the ballast weight. I tightened up the screws for the ballast weight so it is secure. This allowed me to sit the decoder in the gangaway between the seats (having removed the backs of the inner seats either side of the gangway). The speaker then sat in the recess/compartment by the middle doors. You can see the decoder and speaker through the windows - but I feel it is not too visible. The window seat backs hide the decoder to a certain extent, and I may add passengers to the window seats to complete the job. Also I had to crank up the sound on the decoder to near max level - to get a decent sound level. I was concerned that the decoder and speaker wires (under the ballast weight) might impair the motor/drive mechanism in some way. Not the case - (I was very careful how I routed them). It still runs like a dream. Not pretty - but avoided grinding or altering the ballast weight. I also have a class 108 - where I fitted the decoder in the passenger cabin (just hangs in front of the motor block) at about roof level (is visible however) I sat the speaker at the rear of the unit - behind the motor block facing the rear gangway door. I think I extended the speaker wires to do this (Can't quite remember)

• RMweb Gold

That's great. Thanks everyone.

I think I'll take off the weight and thread through. I've got some mat black paper so I might wrap the decoder loosely in that to hide it a bit. At the moment I've got the speaker in there that came with the decoder, but I might swap it out eventually for a rectangular one. I saw a video on Youtube about this on a 108 where the feller had cut out a wider centre aisle to fit the speaker in at floor level. I hope it's ok to post the video link - it's here:

- the interesting bit is at the end.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have installed the decoder through the motor block as Gopher and SRman has done but i have put the decoder against the end of the wieght.

I had to remove the row of seats just infront of it to make room and then i rescessed a bass enhanced speaker in to the seats so that when you look through the window you can only just see it. Making sure that the speaker is in the middle of the seats and you can then put people around it to hide it further.

hope this helps, and other methods of install are avalible ;)

cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, there are times I wish I would read what was advised a little more closely. I didn't loosen the weight, I took the weight off. Unfortunately now going to have fun connecting the motor back up the the drive shaft!

A quick update, if anyone else does this, replace the weight, put the chassis on it's back, get some proper light so you can see in there, and slowly move the drive haft back inside the motor, then holding everything together, flip it over and replace the large screw in the top of the weight.

• 1 year later...

In the January issue of Hornby magazine there is a very good article by Paul Chetter on installing sound into the class 108 with minimum alteration. He used a Zimo MX648 sound decoder although it should say MX648R decoder (with the 8 pin plug, the 648 is wires only). This decoder is small enough to sit in the recess on the weight without any modification.

He has also fitted two miniature Eckig speakers which sit externally under the chassis with just a small amount removed from the moulded drive-shafts to allow room to fit the speakers and a small hole drilled for the wires, none of this is seen from normal viewing angles when painted black.

I have just received the decoder from Digitrains loaded with British DMU sounds to suit most first generation DMU's including the 108 having been recorded from a class 109 and allows for manual or semi automatic gear changes!

Not fitted the decoder yet but will let you know how I get on.

Note I have no connection with Digitrains or Hornby magazine.      

In the January issue of Hornby magazine there is a very good article by Paul Chetter on installing sound into the class 108 with minimum alteration. He used a Zimo MX648 sound decoder although it should say MX648R decoder (with the 8 pin plug, the 648 is wires only). This decoder is small enough to sit in the recess on the weight without any modification.

He has also fitted two miniature Eckig speakers which sit externally under the chassis with just a small amount removed from the moulded drive-shafts to allow room to fit the speakers and a small hole drilled for the wires, none of this is seen from normal viewing angles when painted black.

I have just received the decoder from Digitrains loaded with British DMU sounds to suit most first generation DMU's including the 108 having been recorded from a class 109 and allows for manual or semi automatic gear changes!

Not fitted the decoder yet but will let you know how I get on.

Note I have no connection with Digitrains or Hornby magazine.      

Thanks for the mention. The idea was to avoid all the problems/work mentioned above.

If you are using two 'cube' speakers, remember to wire them in series (not parallel) as the MX648 requires a minimum of 8Ohms impedance.

The gear changes on the actual 'heritage' DMUs are manual. My ZIMO project allows the operator to choose whether to allow the decoder to decide when gears should change (like most others) or to change gear manually, via F key presses. The main point, of course, is that you have two choices on one decoder. Not many offer that.

Good luck,

Paul

Does it? I've not seen the actual magazine yet.

That info is incorrect, but would be valid for all but MX648 and 646 decoders. My final draft as submitted pointed out the need for serial connection to preserve 8 ohms minimum, more or less as I wrote above.

It was just by chance I included reference to it in my earlier response.

ZIMO say the impedence should be 8 ohms other wise the sound will distort. (ie, no warning of potential damage to the decoder) In view of this, I actually tried lower impedence (2 x 8 ohms in parallel) to see if it was instantly 'fatal' or just bad practice, to test the tolerance.

I would not recommend this to anyone. However, the decoder and speakers survived the ordeal, but the sound was so bad/ clipped/cutting in and out (presumably as the amp overheated and cooled in cycle) that it was obvious that something was very wrong. 

Paul

I'm afraid it does. Thanks so much for the article, I'll be doing a class 105 later in the year, so I'll definitely try it this way.

Thanks for the confirmation. Digitrains is the only outlet for this project and they are aware of the problem. They will advise all purchasers of DMU sounds on MX648 that wiring in series is necessary for twin speaker installations.

They have already posted a correction on www.digitrains.co.uk (see scrolling news at the foot of the page). One advantage of having a single outlet, perhaps.

Glad you like the article otherwise and hope it helps when the time comes for your installation.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 2 years later...

Using ESU or Zimo on this model is no problem, doing two before xmas for customers so will fit yours in if you like Free of Charge using our Legomanbiffo Sounds on ESU decoders (Not Free) !!!!! or just a lenz non sound decoder if you like.

PM me at charlie@dckits.co.uk

Charlie

As these posts are a couple of years old I was wondering if there are now any newer  decoders that would suit the 105 DMU.I don't want to fit  sound,just convert to DCC running.

Regards 

Bill

This is the DCC sound sub forum so we will respond accordingly.

You would do better to post in DCC questions if you just want a non sound decoder

Using ESU or Zimo on this model is no problem, doing two before xmas for customers so will fit yours in if you like Free of Charge using our Legomanbiffo Sounds on ESU decoders (Not Free) !!!!! or just a lenz non sound decoder if you like.

PM me at charlie@dckits.co.uk

Charlie

Thanks for your offer,but unable to accept at the moment due to family stuff.

kind regards 

Bill

Archived