Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos from one of our silly moments towards the end of Sunday.

The Wrexham to Wembley ATW train passes Banbury. This configuration is pretty close to Big Jims photo of the special taken at Wembley with a loco both ends. Both these locos had a different running speed do I had to swap chassis with an EWS one to get two the same running qualities before running this train.
post-1557-0-48004700-1421688873_thumb.jpg

And now for something completely off he wall. The new Kato FEF3 pulling a rake of MK 1's. However Mikes rake has Rapido couplers so the Wrexham and Shropshire coach was used as a converter coach but looks a bit like an old Budd stainless steel coach from a distance if you squint aswell.
The slightly more serious reason for testing this loco was to make sure it ran through the fiddle yard so that it can run when Santa Barbara is inserted instead of Banbury.

post-1557-0-82772000-1421689165_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not had much time to work on the layout but after 21/22 Feb I will be working on the stock and the layout.

Some one mentioned to me last weekend that there was a space where we should have been at Erith. We were initially invited but back last Summer I had to cut back on shows due to there being fewer of us to help for various reasons including long term illness etc. I  had confirmation back from the Erith show organiser that we would do 2016 instead, so not sure what happened there - apologies if you were hoping to see us at the show.

Our next show with the layout is the Leamington and Warwick clubs show 7th and 8th March.

We have a few other shows including Trainwest this year so a few other opportunities to see the layout.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian you're not by any chance planning a 'Banbury terminus special event' are you (even if it would be out of period for the detail on the layout)?

I did mention that tongue in cheak on the landslip thread!!

I suspect that we will stick to 2011.. ish period rather than February 2015.

However, if we get a points failure at that end of the layout we now have a great excuse

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Last night I managed to do a little work on a few more of the Falcons. There are now 5 fitted with the fixed Dapol knuckle couplers, part from one end of one wagon which has a Dapol Easi Shunt copuler. There is even a blank space in a stock tray for them but just need to do the card dividers in it before Friday.

Biggleswade this Saturday will be the layouts 2nd show of the year.

We will even have Gordon D with us with some of his stock.

• Like 1

Last night I managed to do a little work on a few more of the Falcons. There are now 5 fitted with the fixed Dapol knuckle couplers, part from one end of one wagon which has a Dapol Easi Shunt copuler. There is even a blank space in a stock tray for them but just need to do the card dividers in it before Friday.

Biggleswade this Saturday will be the layouts 2nd show of the year.

We will even have Gordon D with us with some of his stock.

Just hope I can remember how to operate it after such a long time.

A refresher course may be needed.

See you Saturday.

Gordon D

• RMweb Gold

We had a very good day at Bighleswade. Had a good chat with Mudmagnet.

The layout performed well but wer I'd ha e one DT400 throttle develop a tendency to put the Digitrax system to idle at regular intervals. Turned out the cable had been pulled and eired some loose inside it. Tried fixing it but stil an intermittent fault so that's a repair job at home.

The new Falcon wagons played up as they kept uncoupling and derailing.

By mid afternoon they were working fine. I believe that the black equipment that hangs down is a little low on dome of them do we're catching the track, so these have been filed down a little.

Aldi goid to have Gordon back giving us a hand. We had a 10 car Virgin a voyager of his doing West a Coat Mainline diversions!!!

Should be the other way round at the moment!!

post-1557-0-80278200-1423940187_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

good to see Banbury and yourselves today. hope you can solve the coupling/ derailing issues

M.

Thanks

Good to see you.

Think we found the issue now but will be installing Dapol Easi Shunt couplers instead of the fixed knuckles.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Time to start working on Banbury and rolling stock again in readiness for the Leamington and Warwick show.

I recently purchased a Farish snowbird class 57.

However on fitting a decoder it wold not work but just odd things happening with the lights.

The decoder works fine in other locos.

So tonight a bit of investigation found that not only did the soldered protrusions from the coils touch the chassis block, so did the lighting wires where they also protrude under the circuit board. Some insulation tape between the circuit boards and the chassis now means the loco works but the lighting will now only work in one direction.

At least it didnt fry the decoder!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This coming weekend Banbury will be at the Leamington and Warwick show.

I spent yesterday fettling items of stock that were giving us grief last time out.

The new Dapol JNA Falcon wagons derailed a lot. The cause I thought was the couplings but it turned out to be the black (compressor?) that on some of the wagons just touches the rails. I have now filed all of these down a little so that they dont come close to the railhead. Some of the wagons also kept uncoupling. The NEM pocket on some of the wagons cause the couplings to go in at an angle. The cure was to file the spigot on the fixed knuckle couplers then fix into place at the correct level with canopy glue.The metal wheels are a little basic on these wagons but after a coat of dark earth so they dont look so bad now.

The class 57 Snowbird problems mentioned above have been resolved. Turns out that one direction of the lighting function on the decoder has been damaged by the poor Farish circuit board construction. I have swapped this decoder with the one in my blue Tornado as that doesn't have any lights. The Snowbird  now has all lights working.

The two 3D printed pocket container wagons had developed a tendancy to derail so these have now had extra weight added.

I finally got round to fitting the B & H brass horns to the 3D printed Network Rail MPV. This now just needs working lights to complete it.

The Network Rail class 150 track inspection DMU now has the radio roof pods and a second exhaust along the roof. It still requires a few more antennas on the roof.

And finally, about half of the the Farish TEA tanks wagons have now had the Dapol NEM coupler box conversions completed. Thy have the short Dapol fixed knuckle in them whihc brings them quite a bit closer to each other when coupled together. The rest of the fleet will get the same modification in the near future.

There are still a few scenic items that I wish to do one evening this week but just depends on how much time I have to work on it.

Ian

• Like 1

This coming weekend Banbury will be at the Leamington and Warwick show.

I spent yesterday fettling items of stock that were giving us grief last time out.

The new Dapol JNA Falcon wagons derailed a lot. The cause I thought was the couplings but it turned out to be the black (compressor?) that on some of the wagons just touches the rails. I have now filed all of these down a little so that they dont come close to the railhead. Some of the wagons also kept uncoupling. The NEM pocket on some of the wagons cause the couplings to go in at an angle. The cure was to file the spigot on the fixed knuckle couplers then fix into place at the correct level with canopy glue.The metal wheels are a little basic on these wagons but after a coat of dark earth so they dont look so bad now.

The class 57 Snowbird problems mentioned above have been resolved. Turns out that one direction of the lighting function on the decoder has been damaged by the poor Farish circuit board construction. I have swapped this decoder with the one in my blue Tornado as that doesn't have any lights. The Snowbird  now has all lights working.

The two 3D printed pocket container wagons had developed a tendancy to derail so these have now had extra weight added.

I finally got round to fitting the B & H brass horns to the 3D printed Network Rail MPV. This now just needs working lights to complete it.

The Network Rail class 150 track inspection DMU now has the radio roof pods and a second exhaust along the roof. It still requires a few more antennas on the roof.

And finally, about half of the the Farish TEA tanks wagons have now had the Dapol NEM coupler box conversions completed. Thy have the short Dapol fixed knuckle in them whihc brings them quite a bit closer to each other when coupled together. The rest of the fleet will get the same modification in the near future.

There are still a few scenic items that I wish to do one evening this week but just depends on how much time I have to work on it.

Ian

Looking forward to seeing the updates at the weekend.