Are we likely to see more slam-door SR EMUs from Bachmann?

southernelectric

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on whether or not we will see some more slam-door EMUs from Bachmann and when?

I have recently started to acquire model trains again after a long hiatus (see here for more details: http://www.rmweb.co....after-30-years/) and have acquired a Bachmann 4-CEP and two variants of the 2-EPB.

These really are truly splendid models IMO, even though I have no layout. Well not yet anyway! These models seem to be much lauded and extremely popular so surely Bachmann will produce more models of a similar ilk?

Would love to see a 2-HAP and a 4-SUB in BR blue...

The 2HAP will be an 'easy' variation for Bachmann to produce once they have the Kernow 2H units in production, so that's one I would tip for announcement in the next couple of years or so.

A 4EPB would also be an 'easy' variation to produce once they introduce the centre coaches for the 2Hs, making them into 3H units.

Beyond that, who knows? I would very much like to see a Bulleid 4SUB which, if they plan moulds carefully, could be made into Bulleid style EPBs as well.

p.s. Yes, they are splendid models. I now have 3 x 4CEPs and 5 x 2EPBs in various liveries.

• RMweb Gold

I really hope that Bachmann do have such plans. The CEPs and EPBs are superb models and, as pointed out above, there are some obvious candidates to develop from existing and imminent products. For me the HAP, CIG, TC and 450 is higher up the list than a 4EPB, but I'll be happy just to see the range of RTR EMUs grow.

Personally I would like to see the SR/BR 62 foot underframe stock appear at some time in the near future, The catogory includes most of the 3Sub / 2Nol conversionsex-steam stock , the 1941 and 1946 4Subs,and augmentation trailers, the 1951 4EPB, 2Nop and 2Hap, the 4Lav, 2Bil, and 2Hal semi-fast units too. A powered chassis on the same lines as the Replica BR 64 foot unit would be useful for starters so we could put Kirk/Ashby 2Bil and Branchlines 2Haps on to something with a bit of 'poke'.

Whether Bachmann would consider such a venture is debatable but for SR and BR(S) electric modellers the absence of 62 foot stock is a considerable hinderance.

Anyone else agree? .

• RMweb Gold

When Bachmann produce items for another firm, as in the Hampshires for Kernow, it seems certain that Kernow, not Bachmann, will own the intellectual property to the design work that has been done. So Bachmann are not, to my mind, in a position to then use that design work in the manufacture of anything else without Kernow's express permission. Now, for all I know, that was factored into the price that Kernow agreed in the first place, so the HAP may indeed appear. It just isn't certain, that's all. The 3H may be Bachmann manufactured, but it is Kernow's product.

Put it this way: The intellectual rights remain with Bachmann but they cannot produce an identical model to the special commissions. Thus, they have now introduced the TPO vans into their OO range but cannot use identical finishes and numbers to the Modelzone specials.

Bearing in mind that there were some subtle differences between the 2H/3H DTCs and the 2HAP DTCs, plus the number ranges are quite different, they could use their own research and production facilities to produce a 2HAP if they so desire.

• RMweb Gold

There was some 'chat' about this a few months (years?) ago... I can't remember quite how it was all resolved but IIRC development costs and unit costs were a factor... I know that sound obvious but I believe certain 'rights' issues (the R+D, prototype survey etc) were exchanged* and with the lower unit cost of their final product Bachmann got the Kernow gig.

*IIRC both Dapol/Kernow and Bachmann stated that they were going to produce 'thumpers' at the same time.

That's how I remember it but it seems like such a long time ago!!!!

When Bachmann produce items for another firm, as in the Hampshires for Kernow, it seems certain that Kernow, not Bachmann, will own the intellectual property to the design work that has been done.

That depends on the contract. Manufacturers will often offer a lower price if they get to keep the IPR at the end. The N gauge Queen Mary Brake van for the NGS is a good example of how this can be done. The NGS has exclusive rights to the models for 2 years after which Bachmann can go ahead and release in the main Farish range. The caveat being that they do not duplicate any running numbers the NGS has issued.

Personally I would like to see the SR/BR 62 foot underframe stock appear at some time in the near future, The catogory includes most of the 3Sub / 2Nol conversionsex-steam stock , the 1941 and 1946 4Subs,and augmentation trailers, the 1951 4EPB, 2Nop and 2Hap, the 4Lav, 2Bil, and 2Hal semi-fast units too. A powered chassis on the same lines as the Replica BR 64 foot unit would be useful for starters so we could put Kirk/Ashby 2Bil and Branchlines 2Haps on to something with a bit of 'poke'.

Whether Bachmann would consider such a venture is debatable but for SR and BR(S) electric modellers the absence of 62 foot stock is a considerable hinderance.

Anyone else agree? .

I totally agree LC&DR, regarding the 'missing' SR Units.

I approached the guys at Replica some time ago about the chances of a 62' powered chassis. As their future release of the BR 57' version is hopefully, under way, they did recognise that a SR medium could be under consideration.

Regards, and welcome to RMweb, Ceptic.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I guess we'll all find out what we're getting next month when Bachmann announce their new products.

I have pre-ordered a 2H Thumper unit from Kernow (the one Bachmann are making for them), they are just too cool-looking to resist.

Not an electric train, but neither is the Bachmann Class 37 (C37LG Limited Edition) or the Hornby Flying Scotsman I've recently acquired....and I've got a Hornby VSOE DCC set coming my way shortly too.

It seems like, when I get round to building my layout, I'll be having diesel days, steam days and - my original plan - SR EMU/DEMU days...or, more than likely, just mix 'em all up!

:happy_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Producing a 4BEP is an obvious easy option for Bachmann but I wonder whether they would ever consider doing a refurbished 4CEP. OK it would require a complete retool of the bodies but given the livery varations its got to be a possability.

• 3 weeks later...

So, now we know - no new slam-door EMUs coming from Bachmann this year.

Interesting. Have the sales not been enough to justify another a release or are they just cautious to avoid flooding the market? The reviews have been positive for the CEP and EPB but how about the volumes? The fact that the EPB has not been announced in N gauge leeds me to suspect that the volumes are not quite there for Bachmann to justify further units yet.

Well, even though no new EMUs were announced for 2012-13, we do know that the commissioned DEMUs are on the way this year for Kernow Models, so there are the possibilities mentioned in earlier posts that could be announced for 2013-14 production. We'll just have to wait and see.

Interesting. Have the sales not been enough to justify another a release or are they just cautious to avoid flooding the market? The reviews have been positive for the CEP and EPB but how about the volumes? The fact that the EPB has not been announced in N gauge leeds me to suspect that the volumes are not quite there for Bachmann to justify further units yet.

Shame if that's the case...I was really hoping for a 4-SUB in BR Blue. Would be freakin' awesome!

We still have the Kernow 205 Thumper to look forward to though, OK, I know it's a DEMU... :good:

Shame if that's the case...

I agree but I hasten to point out I am merely speculating. I am a GWR man at heart but I have a soft spot for SR EMUs. A few more in N gauge and I might be tempted to start a small alternative layout, particularly with the nice art deco buildings in the Farish scenecraft range.

• RMweb Gold

When Bachmann produce items for another firm, as in the Hampshires for Kernow, it seems certain that Kernow, not Bachmann, will own the intellectual property to the design work that has been done. So Bachmann are not, to my mind, in a position to then use that design work in the manufacture of anything else without Kernow's express permission. Now, for all I know, that was factored into the price that Kernow agreed in the first place, so the HAP may indeed appear. It just isn't certain, that's all. The 3H may be Bachmann manufactured, but it is Kernow's product.

According to Kernow's site, they will be making the three-car version if the two car version sells well enough. In that case, the middle car would be ideal for doubling up with pairs of motor coahes from the 2EPB to make a 4EPB. And if Bachmann aren't allowed to sell it because the middle cars are Kernow's intellectual property (I don't believe that for one minute, BTW) then maybe Kernow might like to commission them. I'd buy a few.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a TC set being sold on Ebay last week - it was converted from Lima Mk1's but the guy selling ti said it was powered. Don't quite get that.

Now that Kernow have commisioned a 73 from Dapol how about someone doing a 71 & 74.

Peter

Archived