Replica Mk1s vs Bachmann Mk1s

D400

Hi there,

Been looking at various carriages of the past few weeks and wondered if anyone has any Replica Mk1s and could enlighten me as to how they compare with Bachmann's version? A side by side photograph would be brilliant if anyone has both!

Cheers,

Bruce

Bruce. Stick with Bachmann. Different class. If you are doing rebuilds, brass sides etc etc then Replica are fine as a basic structure for detailing. There are plenty of Bachmann mk1s around at very sharp prices. Shop around and you will get some bargains. They also come apart very cleverly so repaints etc etc are easy.

Hi Bruce,

It depends which mk1s you are talking about. The Replica (long) and Bachmann (short) suburbans are of different prototypes but the overall quality is very similar although the Replica ones have much better glazing.

The Bachmann gangwayed mk1s are more modern and better detailed than the versions that Replica do, particularly in the underframe department. Having said that, the Replica versions, especially the BG, are not all that bad and can generally be picked up even cheaper. Plus most of the other Replica variants are not available from Bachmann.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback so far - mixed opinions then! I should have mentioned it is the gangwayed variant I'm interested in - and basically I wanted to know how "out of place" they would look when sitting next to a Bachmann counterpart in the same rake. The reasons for considering Replica Mk1s is twofold: to cover the types as yet not produced by Bachmann (particularly the FO & RBR) and as already pointed out they seem to be generally a bit cheaper!

Thanks for the posts so far - keep it coming - as I said at the start pictures would be a great help :-)

Cheers,

Bruce

• RMweb Premium

I run a couple of Replica BG's with an otherwise all Bachmann fleet and other than the lack of flush glazing in the former the differences between them don't readily jump out.

Ditto - I have a couple of Replica FKs and some of the former Mainline RBRs which pass muster in otherwise Bachmann Mk1 rakes.

• 5 years later...

I am interested in getting some Southern Region Mark 1 suburban coaches.  From what I can gather most (all ?) Southern Mark 1 suburbans were the long chassis type, and the only company which supply these are Replica in "self-assembly" form, is that correct ?

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I am interested in getting some Southern Region Mark 1 suburban coaches.  From what I can gather most (all ?) Southern Mark 1 suburbans were the long chassis type, and the only company which supply these are Replica in "self-assembly" form, is that correct ?

Thanks.

Yes, that is the case, at least so far as r-t-r is concerned. I think Comet may do them in kit form. 

Replica have also, in the past, offered fully-assembled ones, including 3-coach packs complete with set numbers but they seldom come onto the used market.

John  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

As far as standard Mk1 Suburbans are concerned, you're right, SR ones were all 63ft.

Periodically Replica will do a batch fully assembled, probably worth ringing them and asking if that will be any time soon, otherwise it is self-assembly, but that isn't at all difficult, I've done crimson ones successfully.

Agree, I did 2 crimson ones myself. They are not quite like CDK kit but not far from it. You will need to drill a few holes to fit parts to the under frame for example.

When the current spending spree on newly released southern items comes to end, I hope to buy more and other Replica bits to do a 4-EPB.

Archived