location identification, 1960s, eastern.(now western)

Michael Delamar

Bear in mind that a vast number of photos in that flicker set are from Merseyside and around the NW, so it could be out of its normal area.

Yes, but the loco in the extreme left of the picture is ex-LNER too - unlikely for a NW locoation - and the photos preceding this in the collection are from Scarborough and Toton.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but the loco in the extreme left of the picture is ex-LNER too - unlikely for a NW locoation - and the photos preceding this in the collection are from Scarborough and Toton.

The signals are LNER/ER too (separation distance between stop and distant arm was greater than other Regions although that was mainly a Northern Area thing)

I would go for Lincoln too - assuming you mean the LNER. The line from Doncaster had quite a dogleg as it passed the loco shed towards St Marks. The loco looks pretty well in ex-works condition, which might give a clue as to the approximate date.

ex-LNER too - unlikely for a NW locoation -

LNER loco's where very popular in Liverpool up until the 1950s, based at Walton and Brunswick sheds on the Cheshire lines or from Gorton Manchester and further afield.

b1's, j39s, RODs, J11's, J10s,

also on the Wirral, on the ex GCR, C13, c14, n5's, j94s

but i dont think there was anything more glamorous than those, at least regularly.

id like to think some LNER pacifics got to Aintree on grand national days but havent found anything so far.

• RMweb Premium

Having looked at the GNR engine sheds book, there is a good chance this is Lincoln, as suggested above - with the photographer looking west from the loco shed towards the coaling tower in the distance.

I think you've got it - the position of the coaling tower fits as does the track layout. The photographer would have been standing about where the water crane is shown towards the top right of this plan (just in front of the wheel drops) with the GNR shed itself out of view to his left. The structure just showing to the right of the loco's smokebox would then be the goods shed (see this plan) with the adjacent house just visible on the photo to the left of the hut.

Not Grand National days, but Trains Illustrated reported 60039 and 60077 on Hull - Aintree freights in the spring of 1960.

thats made my day that has :)

loco's i model are based on the Aintree area or ones that visited so I can have an A3 :)

I seem to remember hearing of a Peppercorn A1 on a grand national special, or i may have just dreamt it

Just added on flckr

Western Sunset" (5 minutes ago | reply)

Hello,

This shot shows an eastbound train approaching East Holmes signalbox in Lincoln. Lincoln shed (40A) is to the left of the photographer, with its coaling tower in the distance.

Regards,

Peter

thanks for idenifying the location guys.

the shots that the person uploading them to Flickr are from his late uncle, who took many shots but i dont think all are recorded.

he has lots of Liverpool area shots of which some areas where very rarely photographed. so ive been delighted to see them.

and i know rmwebbers like a bit of a challenge identifying locations, there will hopefully be more shots to come from him.

• RMweb Premium

thats made my day that has :)

loco's i model are based on the Aintree area or ones that visited so I can have an A3 :)

It's a shame you aren't modelling the 1930s as you could have had a Kings Cross A3 on Pullmans as your Aintree special! 4475 Flying Fox appeared at least 4 times in that period according to R. E. Rose in his "The LMS & LNER in Manchester".

Simon

It's a shame you aren't modelling the 1930s as you could have had a Kings Cross A3 on Pullmans as your Aintree special! 4475 Flying Fox appeared at least 4 times in that period according to R. E. Rose in his "The LMS & LNER in Manchester".

Simon

just flicking through my newly aquired softback copy of shedside on merseyside,(which is excellent and has more pics)

says that on christmas eve 1962, A3 60045 lemberg took over a Newcastle Liverpool lime street train at Darlington after the sulzer type 4 failed, engine returned on York Parcels via Widnes on 26th December

also interesting is working to Liverpool of a k1 62028 on 17/3/65, I was happy to read that as ive always liked the k1, good excuse to have a model of one one day.

Mike

also v2's on York - Walton on the hill freights in the early 60s, before one derailed at Huddersfield and it was realised that they where prohibited from the route so it went back to B1's

60967 was on shed on 22nd october 61

january 62, 60848, 60911 and 60982 were on Walton shed.60857 was the last v2 on Walton shed 27jan 1962.

I wonder if one of these could be what my dad was getting mixed up, he says he remembers seeing flying scotsman on shed around this sort of time 62-63 when he was a small lad. his dad telling him years later that it was flying scotsman.

Archived