Small BR diesel depots

rx224

I am building a small British layout to run some BR diesels.

In a few books I have seen B&W photos of small steel diesel sheds.

Does anyone have any information on the colours that might be used for the walls, dors & windows and the roof.

Living in Australia it is sometimes difficult to obtain this info.

Thanks,

Les Fordham,

Adelaide.

South Australia.

Hi Les and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find no shortage of helpful contributors. Your question will probably get more oxygen if we move it here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/72-uk-prototype-questions/

I'm unable to do this, but I'll send up a distress flare to see if a kindly Mod will do it for us.... :)

I am building a small British layout to run some BR diesels.

In a few books I have seen B&W photos of small steel diesel sheds.

Does anyone have any information on the colours that might be used for the walls, dors & windows and the roof.

Living in Australia it is sometimes difficult to obtain this info.

Thanks,

Les Fordham,

Adelaide.

South Australia.

Having worked in a couple of small diesel depots and larger depots in the north east, the colours were fairly standard. The walls had a light stone colour up to 3ft above that the walls and roof were off white. Shed doors would be black for staff doors and the main shed doors would have a mid grey interior, the exterior varied from horizontal yellow black to yellow black chevrons.

Floors vary from red or grey for walkways to off white for pits.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Al Taylor

How small is "small"?

Small like at Frodingham, (FH), a three road dead end shed, with enough stabling for forty or so locos?

Or small like King's Lynn, (no allocation), a single road fuelling point with stabling for two class 03's and a couple of TTA fuel tanks?

How small is "small"?

Small like at Frodingham, (FH), a three road dead end shed, with enough stabling for forty or so locos?

Or small like King's Lynn, (no allocation), a single road fuelling point with stabling for two class 03's and a couple of TTA fuel tanks?

Jeff,

Small like King's Lynn sounds what I am looming for,

Thanks,

Les.

The temporary shed built at Muir of Ord after the Inveress viaduct came down is one of my favourite small depots. failing that Peterborough as already mentioned or possibly the stabling point at York Leaman Road, which was next door to the NRM so could justifiably run quite a few unusual loco's

Archived