Hornbys 2012 blue/yellow hst.

Hi, to some this may seem like a silly question but i dont know the answer so gotta ask, the new Hornby hst in br blue/yellow scheduled for release 2nd quater is listed as been western region, is it just the tops number that identifys this or are there any other details i should be aware of as i rather fancy one but am modeling eastern region?

ISTR that the reason for the set different number series was that originally the idea was that the ECML sets were to have a higher power rating to make up for the extra intermediate coach but in practice there was no difference as this was dropped.

I don't think that there was any physical difference, the changes came later with the abolition of the guards compartments on later builds. The first GWML deliveries came without the roof deflector but these were later retro-fitted, I'm not sure if any of the ECML power cars were also new without deflectors.

ISTR that the reason for the set different number series was that originally the idea was that the ECML sets were to have a higher power rating to make up for the extra intermediate coach but in practice there was no difference as this was dropped.

I don't think that there was any physical difference, the changes came later with the abolition of the guards compartments on later builds. The first GWML deliveries came without the roof deflector but these were later retro-fitted, I'm not sure if any of the ECML power cars were also new without deflectors.

The difference between a 253 and 254 was the addition of an extra trailer, the higher power (another 250 HP) was abandoned as result of Western region experience with the Valentas.

There are some other very subtle differences, like the cant rail grills being slightly different. There are some minor electrical variations that were retro fitted on the 253s. The Eastern and Scottish power cars were also delivered with out deflectors (these are now being removed on East Coast power cars).

Regards

Al taylor

Western set were 2+7, Eastern and Scottish 2+8 with the exception of the Tees Tyne Pullman which was 2+9. 2+9 did not become the norm on the ECML until 2002 or so when extra railer became available with Virgin releasing HSTs.

Al Taylor

Archived