Steam loco electrification flashes

pH

There have been several topics discussing the positioning of electrification flashes on steam locos - there's a discussion going on just now on the 'Waverley models' topic. From looking at photos, it seems that there were considerable variations, even within a single class. That has me wondering - where were these flashes applied - during works visits, or at individual engine sheds? And were there definite instructions on where they were to be applied on engines, or just general indications?

I've looked in some detail at where the flashes were applied at the front of ex-LMS and ex-LNER engines (I know, I know - I should get out more often!). On ex-LNER engines with curved drop-ends, that's where they are generally applied, facing forward, though some of these engines have them on the frames, facing to the side. Engines without dropends have them on the frames.

Ex-LMS engines, almost without exception, have them on the frames, facing sideways. However, engines from certain engine sheds - sheds belonged to a specific pre-grouping railway company - occasionally had them on footplate dropends, facing forward. (Actually, I've only seen this on engines from this group of sheds so far, but it probably did happen elsewhere.) They even managed one engine with the flash on the dropend on one side, and on the frame on the other side!

Does anyone know if there were definite rules for the application of these flashes and where (works or sheds) they were applied? (Bonus point - what is the pre-grouping railway referred to above?)

I think there was merely a general indication: they tended to appear at points were men would climb up and positioned so that they would look directly at the flashes as they ascended. There were therefore some variations from engine to engine. As Archivist to the Stanier Mogul Fund, I often use these variations to identify members of the Stanier Crabs in photos where the identity is unknown and the number indecipherable. It did require making a list of the location of each plate on each and every one of the forty engines, though.

Although they vary from engine to engine, they do seem consistent from one side of an engine to the other, which leads me to think that the fitter would be given one engine to do, while another man might do another class member.

They would have been applied at depots and of course when being out-shopped from works. Had it been works only the time between repairs per loco would have only seen about 10% of the fleet so fitted. I know Toton had a stock in my time there (diesel days) for replacement of damaged or lost items.

Cheers

Mike

If the application to coaching stock is anything to go by - they started off as a purely works modification only however (and given the number of items of rolling stock quite understandable) was eventually passed down to the depots / C&W staff on the ground to apply also. They were just not getting through them quick enough - though coaching stock did need other associated mods done at the same time - end step removal, handrail shortening etc....

Thanks for the information, guys. From the variations in position, I'd worked out that it had probably been done, in part at least, at individual sheds.

The pre-grouping railway I mentiioned was the G&SWR. I have, or have seen, pictures of two Jubilees, a Stanier 5 and a Hughes/Fowler 'Crab' from 67 district sheds with the flashes on the footplate dropends. So far, I've not seen that variation on any other ex-LMS engines.

And the loco with the flash on the dropend on one side and on the frame on the other was 44699 of Corkerhill. You can see it here:

post-1771-0-93740600-1327129375.jpg

And in these two recent Ebay auction items:

http://www.ebay.com/..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1 (Scrolll down)

http://www.ebay.com/..._fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Archived