Farish WD 2-8-0

TomE

It does look an extremely fine model and I am struggling to tell myself that I would be unlikely to find one at the end of a GWR BLT.

The only thing that jars slightly is that Farish's weathering seems a very reddish-brown colour (I noticed the same on the B1). I prefer the greyer finish on Dapol's weathered 9Fs as this looks more like soot to me.

Just another point I have noticed is that the Coal Load is removeable!

The tender interior is detailed with a very small amount of coal moulded in the bottom of the interior.

I would post a photo but currently having problems posting photo on this forum ( although not having any problems posting photos on other sites)

Guest Moria

Likewise, I would prefer to see a weathered one in the flesh first, which means a long trip... however, for my preserved line, a clean one may be preferable anyway.. I think Vulcan may make a trip to my south west preserved line :)

Regards

Graham

I will definately be purchasing one here in the coming month, My wallet is still recovering from the A3 that should arrive at my home this week.

Ill buy the weather and hit it with the ole airbrush. Personally, I think the weathering is too light to do it justice. This one I want filthy. It looks amazing. How does she run?

Running is exceptional. The mechanism is totally silent, just noise of wheels on rails.

Slow running is also superb, it will go down to a dead crawl (wheels barely turning)in total silence no perceptible "cogging". I know the Dapol models are good at ultra slow speed too but they are somewhat noisy with lots of "buzz" from the motor when doing it.

Haulage not yet tested to near the limit - a train of 15 wagons is as if nothing is behind it.

I would say it is the best running RTR mechanism of any British steam loco to date and overall it is probably the finest RTR British steam loco "period" at least for the (hopefully) short time till the Standard Five comes along.

Cheers

Roy

Well having run my WD in, I have done a bit of a haulage test.

To be honest expectations were somewhat greater than reality. It will manage a train of 30 mineral wagons and Brake comfortably on the flat including a 10.5 inch radius return. 40 was however beyond it, and some slipping started. Not wanting to knacker the traction tyres I left it at that.

So, my conclusion is that it can be comfortably out "dragged" by Farish's own tender-driven B1 and Dapol's recent models such as the A3 and A4. Haulage is not is strongest attribute.

My opinion of the model overall however hasn't changed. The way can silently and faultlessly slowly "plod" along with those 30 minerals is truly something special.

Roy

To be honest expectations were somewhat greater than reality. It will manage a train of 30 mineral wagons and Brake comfortably on the flat including a 10.5 inch radius return. 40 was however beyond it, and some slipping started. Not wanting to knacker the traction tyres I left it at that.

Interesting. I think plastic bodyshells don't help as the overall weight is lower than some of the older style models (e.,g. my 8Fs which will manage that).

I'll need to compare my whitemetal and brass kitbuilt WD which has a similar style chassis (Kato 9600) but metal bodywork.

Cheers,

Alan

Interesting. I think plastic bodyshells don't help as the overall weight is lower than some of the older style models (e.,g. my 8Fs which will manage that).

I'll need to compare my whitemetal and brass kitbuilt WD which has a similar style chassis (Kato 9600) but metal bodywork.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan

I have no way of checking easily without dismantling/scratching paint off but I though I read somewhere that at least part of the WD body was diecast metal?

Cheers

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Well, I wasn't going to buy a WD. Although the ex Longmoor 2-10-0 WD ran on the Mid Hants for sometime, as far as I can see the 2-8-0 version has never been 'over the alps'. This means the new Farish model didn't meet the requirement of having run on MHR metals in order to enter the N gauge Ropley loco roster.

However......

I've always liked the WD. They have such a distinct appearance to them, different from any other engine of that era, and so will power evaporated and a late crest version arrived this morning. My excuse is that whilst 90733 has not yet ventured South, it can't be too long before it does.....!

First impressions are of another superb model from Farish. The detail is at or above the level we expect from Farish these days, as is the finish. Packaging has seen another change, but one for the better I think. The engine is held in place in a similar method to Farish's wagons/coaches, but with a clear plastic sleave protecting the sides and then the usual hard plastic case.

One of the biggest reasons for buying the WD was curiosity. This is the first Farish model with their new coreless motor, driving the loco rather than the tender. I've never really been the biggest fan of the tender drive, that mechanism being rather hit and miss when it comes to performance. I had high hopes for this new loco drive and I have to say I'm not dissapointed. Performance out of the box was excellent and has improved further with a couple of hours running. It's now crawling around my loop of uni-track smoother and quieter than any N gauge loco I've seen from any manufacturer. As others have mentioned the mechanism is virtually silent.

For me this represents a huge leap forward for N gauge steam. You can have highly detailed plastic but if it judders and stumbles along it rather defeats the point. The performance of the WD is nothing short of exceptional and bodes well for the 5MT which I see is now on the due in 60 days list. But for now I believe the WD can rightly be called the best N gauge RTR steam loco currently available!

Edited to add some video of the WD slow running right out of the box:

[media=']

[/media]

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

That's correct Alan, all on DC at the moment. Will get a chip in it sometime in the next couple of weeks and repeat the slow running test.

Tom.

Running and traction much as the OO model then. Any scope for removing whatever cast ballast is provided inside and substituting lead? I was able to double the weight of the WD in OO, and traction increased in direct proportion. Matters even more in N where space for 50+ wagons is that much easier.

I would doubt there is much if any scope to modify it in that way, the coreless motor is encased within the two halves of the split chassis.

Regards

Roy

I want one so bad. I have to wait just a month or two more though. Th A4 and A3s really burned a hole in my wallet, as did the modelbahhn Express Blue Mallard.

I picked up an old BRM from winter 2007 when the Farish Jube was still in development. We have come a long way in 6 years. Prices have too sadly. A Hornby super-detailed A4 was only 69 GBP back then.

does any body know where the real 90201 ran ? Ian

Shed allocations should give a clue..

86E Severn Tunnel Junction 31/08/1950

86C Cardiff Canton 26/03/1955

81E Didcot 25/03/1961

86A Ebbw Junction (Newport) 15/07/1961

9G Gorton 26/05/1962

Withdrawn 07/1964

For anyone unsure about getting a clean one, there is a lovely shot of gleaming 90323 shortly after overhaul at Swindon in "The Steaming Sixties". Just goes to show they weren't always filthy and unkempt, even in the latter days of steam.

Archived