Farish WD 2-8-0

TomE

To give an idea of how far this model has come, Richard 'Dicky' Dockerill, our reviewer in the October issue has lent us one of his McGowan body kits on a cut-down Fleischmann chassis for comparison.

post-1481-0-43454200-1345138865_thumb.jpg

post-1481-0-62573800-1345138900_thumb.jpg

And I've just noticed that Dick has hand-painted the number and the BR crest on his earlier model!

• RMweb Gold

No, the body is Plastic, but the metal split chassis fills the boiler space and there is a separate weight in the smokebox. Every possible space is filled so adding extra will be difficult.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

I've just looked back to the thread here with the initial news of the WD and it does state die cast body. However, it also states the 5MT will have a tender drive, so changes have obviously been made between the announcement and release. I'm not sure a die cast body would have made that much difference to be honest given every square mm of space in the body is filled with weight.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone confirm these actually have a dicast metal body, as was advertised? On other forums doubts are being raised, mostly due to the lack of pulling power and moulding lines along top of boiler.

I've not noticed any lack of pulling power, mine manages 44 wagons easily.

Can anyone confirm these actually have a dicast metal body, as was advertised? On other forums doubts are being raised, mostly due to the lack of pulling power and moulding lines along top of boiler.

The body does appear to be plastic. Logical if you think of the issues of shorting out a split framed chassis it might cause were it metal.

Haulage is all a relative thing. Mine will pull 35 mineral empties ok. Complains appear to be mostly coming from those expecting it to pull 60 plus wagons!

Regards

Roy

Brilliant! I have to have one.

So where is the lack of pulling power others were alluding to? :scratchhead:

That clip is hugely impressive, but also somewhat puzzling.

Delighted though I am with mine (Identical model) it is at the limit of what it will pull on level track with about half of that train length!

Roy

Hmm. After ready the review in the NGS journal it seems like there is a lot of variability in hauling power on these locos. Maybe those who have the luxury of a local model shop might like to see the loco running with the sort of load they normally use on their layout before deciding whether to buy.

My WD is definitely not as good a puller as the one on the video. My railway isn't large enough to run freight trains of more than just over 20 wagons, so it isn't a problem as such. Mine will struggle after about 25 wagons.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. After ready the review in the NGS journal it seems like there is a lot of variability in hauling power on these locos...

Something I find regularly with Bachmann OO: I suspect the wheel blackening process sometimes leaves a slippy glaze on the tyres. Locos which initially would slip to a stand with very modest loads steadily improve with running as the tyres polish up. I have had two 'identical' purchases of the same model side by side, and after finding one singularly feeble evaluated them with all the unpowered wheels off, one was good for fifty wagons, the other for twenty. A week later and they were equivalent in performance. (ROD)

Something I find regularly with Bachmann OO: I suspect the wheel blackening process sometimes leaves a slippy glaze on the tyres.

I think there's something to be said for this. I found that with the Bachmann Farish V2s, that after running in their pulling power had increased.

Worth giving loco a good run in first before checking it's haulage.

Cheers,

Alan

I spoke to a Bachmann rep at TINGS and mentioned the poor haulage of the WD. He said that it was mainly Vulcan that seemed to be affected and that it is possibly due to the wheels with the traction tyres on having the groove milled too low. Sounds like a reasonable explanation. I have sent mine to Bachmann for them to have a look.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I finally bought a WD (late crest) from Kernow MRC on sale (only to have Hattons offer them for even less a few days later!) and like most have reported it is a very smooth runner.

What no one has yet reported (and why should they?) is that it will happily go around 7.5" (183mm) radius Kato Unitrack Compact curves in both forwards and reverse.  I should mention I haven't fitted any of the detailing parts.

Haulage power is iffy - 5 Mk1 coaches I had handy caused some slipping, but then again this was on 7.5" radius curves and that will have had some affect on hauling ability.

In any case it is a fantastic runner straight from the box and a "keeper."

Matt

Archived