best decoder for Bachmann standard 4 mogul

• RMweb Gold

I'd recommend a Lenz Standard+. It costs about the same as the TCS DP2X-UK decoder but I've found it much better with Bachmann steamers. I assume you are talking about the 4-6-0 version which is the one which won't take the TCS decoder? It fits OK in the 2-6-0 version but again I'd suggest the Lenz Standard+ is preferable. I had the TCS decoder in both before I replaced with Lenz, and was very pleased with the better performance..

• RMweb Gold

Yep, me too, I bought one S/H that had a Hornby cheapie installed, swapped it out for a Lenz Standard+ which fits in the boiler barrel. I think you have to remove the boiler weight though (it was already gone on the one I bought)

I believe removing the weight is in Bachmann's documentation for the 2-6-0. However, I've fitted Lenz Standard+ decoders in my one 4-6-0 and both 2-6-0s without having to remove the weight from any of them.

I've fitted the ZTC258 into one Std 4 4-6-0 and 2 Std 4 2-6-0 s, and I used a small file to open out the opening in the underside of the boiler on both types. I seem to remember taking about half a mm off each side which didn't take very long and certainly dosn't notice. The TCS DP2X-UK is about the same width as the ZTC which is also a direct plug in decoder. The 2-6-0 circuit board is wired the wrong way round, so you have to plug the decoder in backwards as well. However, the biggest problem with the 2-6-0 is the 'pig' of a motor they've used.

The docs do say to remove the weight and fit the chip into the barrel. It's quite easy, considering how awkward I found getting the bodyshell off in the first place. One small screw holds the weight in place.

My loco ran really well afterwards but I've not been able to test pulling power as my layout is being redesigned and built this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Worth pointing out the decoder I used in this one was a Lenz Standard - undid the weight, removed the smokebox door, slid the weight out and using the sticky pad supplied by Lenz stuck it to the shelf on the weight and refitted it. Interestingly the smokedox door had no shed code printed on it (the current early BR version).

• 1 month later...

I have the latest 2-6-0 version and fitted a TCS DP2X-UK with pretty erratic running, this is the second decoder with similar issues but strangely seem to work OK in a Hornby T9!

Can anyone advise on a more reliable alternative that will fit the 2-6-0?

I've fitted the reasonably similar Ivatt 4MT mogul on two occasions with this decoder and it requires a few strokes of a file on the cut PCB edges to allow it to fit perfectly inside the aperture of the smokebox when assembled. Running is pretty OK too.

Yes, I know it might sound rash taking a file to a decoder PCB, but there is enough meat along the sides to allow this. It is a reasonably fine cut file if that helps, but not a needle file of any sort.

HTH,

Archived