the titfield thunderbolt

wootang

Now there's a thought - fitting a 14XX body on a Faller Car System chassis!

Forgot to mention that Tangmere will also be at the NNR event to 'represent' Combe Martin's appearance in the opening sequence (will work a charter from KX), though as far as I'm aware no Castles or Halls for the ending....

yes I thought titfield was monkton combe aswell

anyway minus a few small details the engine is nearing completion as is the toad

The well wagon has been started and as for the coach body

Thank you THOMAS THE TANK ENGINE annie's body is a perfect fit

Pictures to follow

the titfield engine 1401 is nearing completion since this pictures have been taken the loco has been painted and has had the GWR transfers painted out

the next step is to add numberplate, shedcode, breakpipes and steam pipes

post-13980-0-43575400-1328608245_thumb.jpg

post-13980-0-79839100-1328608257_thumb.jpg

post-13980-0-24828500-1328608270_thumb.jpg

post-13980-0-21087800-1328608282_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking nice so far, although I do have one suggestion. Rather than using the body of the Hornby 4 wheel coach, perhaps try to hunt down a coach from Bachmann USA's Prussia set. I know they were sold separately, and the body on it would be a much better match for the one in the film.

Jack

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Looking nice so far, although I do have one suggestion. Rather than using the body of the Hornby 4 wheel coach, perhaps try to hunt down a coach from Bachmann USA's Prussia set. I know they were sold separately, and the body on it would be a much better match for the one in the film.

Jack

The Triang Rocket coach body (R621?) is a much better choice, as the coach body in the film looked to be ex LMR.

• 3 weeks later...
I know I didn't start this thread but feel my update is probably better placed here rather than starting a new thread.

I was unhappy with the Hornby coach as its far too big, so sourced a "Rocket" coach, which after modifying I felt was just too small, so my third option I think is just right.

It is a very much shortened Hornby clerestory coach. I have also shortened the well wagon as I felt that was to long too.

20131111_221802_zpsa268e75d.jpg

20131111_221822_zps99fa08f2.jpg

20131111_221812_zps8125de5c.jpg
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The ERTL model is way too small. Bachmann do a Thomas The Tank Engine "Henrietta" which could be adapted. It may be possible to splice two of them together to make a representation of the bogie coach, but it wouldn't be quite accurate. It would be near-enough and instantly recognisable as the coach though.

Hi All,

I have the book on the Titfield Thunderbolt and the reason that the coach body on the ex GWR LORIOT Y is very difficult to pin down is because it was actually a studio prop - built for the film. It follows no exact prototype.

I think that Worsley Works do an etch for the W & U Railway bogie coach, possibly in 3mm scale but Mr D. will almost certainly run it in 4mm scale if asked.

It's great to see the memory of this fantastic bit of railway and social history still being enjoyed and emulated so many years later. I really must drag out that kit of Lion and etched 'Thunderbolt' plates I have squirrelled away sometime...

All the best,

Castle

• 2 weeks later...

The British Film Institute library has a substantial file on the making of the film. This includes a few very useful sharp and close up shots of use to modellers. Lion of course still exists and could be photographed in its museum location, with permission naturally