Hattons - collect at shop

antrobuscp

I contacted Hattons today following the arrival of a new product email. I had spoken to Richard Davies some time ago about an online order and collect at shop facility and wondered if it was available as I will be working close to the shop later in the week.

I received an email from Richard a short while ago, and you can now order online and collect goods from the shop. There is a ??4 admin fee, to be refunded upon collection within 7 days. I have just ordered using the facility and look forward to picking up the loco before the weekend.

I hope this is of interest to others living in the area.

Colin

That is interesting because I was told that pre-orders had to be delivered, i.e. the ??4 admin fee is actually the postage cost.

Now on the one hand pre-ordering (almost) guarantees your model upon availability with a potential to get an item cheaper if costs rise in the meantime, but to call the postage an admin fee is a bit rich.

• RMweb Gold

That is interesting because I was told that pre-orders had to be delivered, i.e. the ??4 admin fee is actually the postage cost.

Now on the one hand pre-ordering (almost) guarantees your model upon availability with a potential to get an item cheaper if costs rise in the meantime, but to call the postage an admin fee is a bit rich.

The OP said that the fee is refunded when you collect.

It makes sense - if you do not collect then they have got to post it to you anyway.

The interaction with pre-orders was originally the subject of my discussion with Richard Davies around the time of the Falcon release. I often would pre-order, but since I usually go to the shop to buy/collect, this effectively stopped me pre-ordering without incurring an unnecessary postal charge. As it happens, with Falcon, I emailed or spoke to Richard, and the order was "pulled" from the system and replaced by a shop sale when I physically turned up.

He said at the time that it was an issue they were aware of and intended to deal with at some point. As I received a new product email for the Standard 3 tank, and had missed out on a low price 4CEP, I contacted Richard to see if the option was available. He replied to say I could phone and they'd deal with my order but that the on-website option might be a week or two. A short while later he emailed again to say he had activated the option on the website. Hence my posting, as I have gained the impression from reading other posts that this was something other people would use.

Colin

The OP said that the fee is refunded when you collect.

It makes sense - if you do not collect then they have got to post it to you anyway.

DOH, note to self, don't reply to mails when half asleep, I had a 24 on pre-order with Hattons and I've got a Dapol HST on one so perhaps I should look to collect (cos it wont fit the letterbox and I will have to visit the post office in any case to collect).

I went today to pick up the loco I ordered on Monday for collection later at the shop. Received my ??4 credit back to my card and came away quite impressed as the shop staff had obviously been given full instructions on how to deal with the system. Thst's what should happen, of course, but often it doesn't.

The order seems to remain part of their online system, as I received the "picking" email notification once I was back at my office, timed as when I was in the shop.

Well done Hattons.

Colin

Archived