200 Years of Steam Gala - Middleton Railway

ahardy

This year, on June 24th the Middleton Railway will be celebrating an important anniversary. On that day 200 years ago, the first commercially successful steam locomotives, designed and built by John Blenkinsop and Matthew Murray started work hauling coal from the colliery into Leeds. Since then, steam locomotives have played an important part in the history of the Middleton Railway.

To celebrate this important anniversary the Middleton Railway is pleased to announce two further visiting locomotives for its “200 Years of Steam Gala†on the 23rd and 24th June, making it the biggest event in the railways history. To accompany the already announced visit of Steam Elephant from Beamish, the railway has secured the oldest working standard gauge locomotive to run on the world’s oldest working steam railway. Furness No.20, built in 1863 by Sharp Stewart & Co will be the first tender locomotive to visit the railway in preservation, and will join the railways fleet of home based engines running an intensive service of passenger and freight trains. The organisers are also pleased to announce that the Vintage Carriage Trusts locomotive Bellerophon will also be visiting the event. This locomotive built in 1874 will allow the Middleton Railway to operate 5 locomotives over one hundred years old, along with a replica locomotive, celebrating a design of nearly 200 years of age.

Other locomotives in traffic will include all the available home fleet, featuring the first gala appearance of the NER H Class 1310, along with our two resident Manning Wardles, Matthew Murray and Sir Berkeley.

Our Engine House museum will also be filled with steam, with three amazing live steam layouts in operation. We hope that 200 live steam model locomotives will be run over the weekend to celebrate the 200 years since steam operation began.

As is normal with our galas, we plan to have a display of traction engines and other steam vehicles on display in our carpark long with other related transport stands and displays.

For those who like ale, the Leeds Brewery Company will be providing refreshments on site. Look out for our own special beer "Middleton Pioneer".

For more information and latest news, see the events website at: 2012: Home

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any suggestions.

Hope to see you there.

Andy Hardy

Traffic Manager

Middleton Railway

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another update!

We are pleased to confirm that our latest arrival Slough Estates No.3 will be operating at our 200 Years of Steam Gala. This will be the first gala appearence of this locomotive on our line. It will also be the most "modern" design of locomotive in operation at the event. Not bad for something that is 88 years old.

Keep an eye on the website for more exciting news.

Cheers

Andy

• 4 months later...

We can confirm that Steam Elephant arrived at 10:00 yesterday.

Bellyflop unfortunately won't be attending but a different suprise engine should be visiting in it's place,.

Good news the Leeds Brewery has delivered us some Ale.

I'll be one of the guys wearing a Steam 200 branded shirt on Saturday & Sunday.

Saturday I'll be near the steam workshop, Sunday as I'm relief guard on the trains!

Just to explain a little about the non-attendance of Bellerophon (never call her Bellyflop to her face :nono: - Belle is an allowable alternative but only when you've got to know her well! :mosking: )

This winter a P&V exam was undertaken following a suspected valve issue which disclosed a broken piston valve ring. Following further investigation and discussion it was decided to undertaken machining of the valve bores and corresponding manufacture of new valve heads and rings. Whilst the heads were delivered in plenty of time it is the rings that have caused the problem. These were contracted to a UK supplier who subsequently sub-contracted them overseas. When the supplier received them they were discovered to be incorrectly made and, despite the best efforts of all concerned (Thanks to John Marrow for his efforts in this regard) replacements were not able to be delivered in time to guarantee her attendance at the event. This is as much a disappointment to all at Foxfield who have worked tirelessly over the last few months to try and ensure her attendance as it must be to all at Middleton who were undoubtedly looking forward to having her there. However she will be back in action very soon and, hopefully, in better voice than ever!

Just to explain a little about the non-attendance of Bellerophon (never call her Bellyflop to her face :nono: - Belle is an allowable alternative but only when you've got to know her well! :mosking: )

In my experience most people would be better calling it Belle as they mispronounce Bellerophon i.e Bell-er-ophon instead of Bell-air-ro-phon.

Its a pitty I am in Scotland, escaping from Headingley to avoid the one dayer and the Olympic touch may have not have been necessary. I hope the weather gets better.

Weather has been mixed between bright hot sunshine with the odd shower today.

Spent quite a bit of the time inside with the steam workshop and various other steam toys. Had a break outside manning the driver for a fiver over late lunchtime. Yes you can drive Steam Elephant.

Weather for Sunday is expected to be better.

We have had to go to the brewery for more ale. Good ale at a good price.

• RMweb Premium

I have to say, I greatly enjoyed my (first) visit to the Middleton yesterday. Highlight must have been the Balm Lane line, I don't think I've ever travelled over track quite like that before! A good selection of engines in steam, the museum was very interesting, and also enjoyed the ale! I thought the guided bus* tour taking in historical sites connected with the Leeds locomotive industry was an inspirational touch, and hats off to the young gentleman who delivered the commentary.

* PS it was the tour that was guided, not the bus!

I'll pass on your faveourable comments on to the various other workers at the railway. The guide is the other half of the Leeds Engine website below.

Having spoken to various people this weekend I have been promised a selection of documents that will be the final push in the engine database towards the finish line.

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

As has been previously mentioned, a TV crew from the popular German TV programme 'Eisenbahn Romantik' visited the Middleton Railway in Leeds for their 200th Anniversary of Steam Traction Gala during June. The resultant film was broadcast on German TV this afternoon and can now be viewed on the Internet. Here's the link :

Folge 772: 200 Jahre Dampfeisenbahn in Leeds - SWR Fernsehen :: Eisenbahn-Romantik | SWR.de

Don't worry if you do not understand any German - the pictures will mostly speak for themselves.

Archived