Crimson/cream Maunsells

John (Re6/6) brought a CK to DRAG this evening (a corridor composite, not Captain Kernow wink.gif ) - the first of the new Maunsells in crimson/cream that I had seen.

Very nice looking, although the crimson seems too dark to me and will need some judicious weathering I feel. When I get mine I might put the early broad crimson cantrail band on some of the low-window sides.

post-6669-12553900035125_thumb.jpg

post-6669-12553900156453_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up Rod. I'd wondered where they had got to. Interesting to learn of the dark crimson. Begs the question if it needs repainting then perhaps its just as easy to start with some cheap green ones off ebay?! I have been hanging onto a few repainting projects to see how these turned out and then try and do a good match. They do need to be grubbied up a little though - far too tidy!

regards

R

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little lost here, did Hornby bring these out a while ago?

As i brought a rake of them ,the only thing that they have not got are the four small steps at each end and the wire pipe that runs up the back. icon_what.gif

Darren01

• RMweb Gold

I'm impressed with these coaches and the detail. One or two will be migrating oop north!smile.gif

At least it is a simple matter to spray over the carmine red.

Huh! Simple to you Larry! Some of us would make a prize pig's of it the first, second and forty-ninth attempt! Agree these are superb models, and have a few in olive green, as Nature intended, which are a delight.

I'm impressed with these coaches and the detail. One or two will be migrating oop north!smile.gif

At least it is a simple matter to spray over the carmine red.

How bad is the Carmine Hornby use then Coach? :unsure:

How bad is the Carmine Hornby use then Coach? unsure.gif

Hard to say without seeing one in the flesh. I was going off the picture posted earlier, which I wouldn't say was bad.................Just a tad on the dark side.

I was talking silly when I said it was an easy job to respray it. It isnt without removing the curly hand grabs.blink.gif

Larry

Hard to say without seeing one in the flesh. I was going off the picture posted earlier, which I wouldn't say was bad.................Just a tad on the dark side.

It's not my model, but if memory serves the crimson/carmine is a little darker in reality than it looks in the photo - certainly darker than home brews I've used in the past or the Precision BR Crimson (Faded) that I am wont to use now. BMW Zinnabar Red is supposed to be quite good too but I've never tried it.

Seeing as we are all supposed to see colour differently, I expect some people wll be happy with the carmine red on Hornby's coaches. When Precision Paints first brought out it's BR carmine (blood) in the early 1970's or thereabouts, I considered it too dark (again a personal thing), but I still had pretty clear memories of the colour I'd grown up with on real coaches. For the same reason I never took to Precision BR loco green seeing as it was too blue-ish and was more suited to Class 40 diesels! I remember steam locos carrying a green that was at the yellow end of the spectrum and Precision GWR 1947 green looked right. On the other hand, Precision GWR 1928 green was too yellow-ish for BR.

In one of his magazines, David Jenkinson published an article under a nom de plume saying that GWR green and BR green were one and the same. This was contrary to what we had been led to believe by model paint manufacurers! He was right of course. BR had adopted the colour simply because it had proved itself on the GWR.

When the GWR was cost-cutting because of the prevailing economic climate in the 1930's, the green was severely compromised by thinning it down too much to make it go further. One issue of 'Railway Magazine' mentioned this saying it had been observed that the GW locos were turning Khaki. I digress.

The cellulose '"carmine" I have used for many years happens to be an Alfa Romeo colour. Prior to that I had it mixed specially to pattern. The AF shade was as near as dammit and saved me the expence of having it mixed.

The thing about transport colours is they are accurate within a certain spectrum, which us gives a little latitude. It is only when a colour (for instance green) goes towards the wrong end of the blue - yellow spectrum that warning bells ring and 'we' perceive it to be wrong. With carmine red, it was indeed a reddish shade and looked brighter when put with cream than when it was the sole colour as on non-corridor stock.

I must add again this is purely my outlook.

When Precision Paints first brought out it's BR carmine (blood) in the early 1970's or thereabouts, I considered it too dark (again a personal thing), but I still had pretty clear memories of the colour I'd grown up with on real coaches.

Just to clarify Larry I agree with you about the 'standard' Precision BR Crimson/Carmine - I was referring to the much better BR Crimson (Faded) which they also do.

Just to clarify Larry I agree with you about the 'standard' Precision BR Crimson/Carmine - I was referring to the much better BR Crimson (Faded) which they also do.

Hi. I wasn't aware of the BR crimson (Faded) colour in the Precision range of paints so I'll have to look this up now. The only colour I knew of was BR crimson (blood).

Back again after lunch and I have just looked at te Precision Paints website, although I notice you have beaten me to it.

P303 B.R. Coach Crimson [blood] (1949-1951) - Faded shade

P116 B.R. Coach Crimson [blood] (1949-1955)

I didn't know about the P303 shade. Could be usefull. Is it very much lighter than P116?

Larry

Maybe not the best basis for a full comparison given the uncontrolled lighting, but the Scenery Van here is painted with it (and not subsequently weathered yet in this photo). The Birdcage set behind is not mine, and I don't know what paint was used for that (and the owner is red/green colour blind anyway - but nobody has ever commented adversely).

post-6669-12579487505817_thumb.jpg

Here, the Van C is also painted with P303 (this is a Parkside kit, I hate the mauvish colour of the Hornby one) and is also not yet weathered. The Roxey Birdcage tricompo in front of it used Precision custard and a home brew for the blood - can't remember what exactly, I think a mixture of standard Precision blood, Humbrol orange and a bit of white - P303 wasn't available at the time).

post-6669-12579489387695_thumb.jpg

Not Hornby, but for comparison this is a Bachmann Mk1 for which the crimson is definitely too dark - although it's not too bad in this photo.

post-6669-12579489955428_thumb.jpg

Did not this colour darken as well as fade maybe?

I should imagine as well that the colour would have had variations depending upon who mixed it and where?

Like Coach says, "seeing" colour varys from person to person. However, some variations in tone could allow for the variation twixt the Hornbys and the paint manufactured :huh:

This is thinking like being at work which is where I am and I'd better do some :lol:

Did not this colour darken as well as fade maybe?

That's not my recollection TBH, and it always stands out when placed next to post-1956 maroon stock. But yes there are always subtle variations in the actual colour and our perception of it (a subject widely discussed on RMWeb and in print on many occasions).

• RMweb Gold

That's not my recollection TBH, and it always stands out when placed next to post-1956 maroon stock. But yes there are always subtle variations in the actual colour and our perception of it (a subject widely discussed on RMWeb and in print on many occasions).

In period colour photographs, I find it's handy if there's a buffer beam or semaphore signal somewhere in the shot, as that gives a rough idea of how red is registering in the print. I would say that the crimson in crimson/cream coaches generally looks considerably lighter and more vibrant than depicted in most models, even if the buffers look about the right shade. It's no biggie in my view; I'd far rather have to repaint the lower band on a coach than the entire side.

• RMweb Premium

Back again after lunch and I have just looked at te Precision Paints website, although I notice you have beaten me to it.

P303 B.R. Coach Crimson [blood] (1949-1951) - Faded shade

P116 B.R. Coach Crimson [blood] (1949-1955)

I didn't know about the P303 shade. Could be usefull. Is it very much lighter than P116?

Larry

I believe that the faded shade is the former Cherry Paints colour, later taken over by Phoenix.

The Precision / Phoenix unfaded shade was / is way too dark, even for ex-works stock.

The first close match was produced by the short-lived DBI Paints - if anything it was a bit day-glo.

post-2274-12579566420454_thumb.jpg

(Slip coach painted with DBI Faded Crimson)

Cherry Paints faded shade was spot-on in my opinion - if Phoenix use the same mix then it should be right.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Archived