Obbekaer & Ribe Skibbroen - P87

Middlepeak

• 1 month later...

With an appearance at Scaleforum in the offing this weekend the past couple of weeks have seen much midnight oil burned to finish the Frichs diesel and the two rejsegodsvogne.

The diesel has been on the stocks for a considerable period of time, so it's good to see it finally running. All three axles are sprung, with a small Mashima motor mounted centrally driving the two outer axles through amended High Level gearboxes. Bodywork, as described before, is from my own etches.

20220920_121252045.jpg.d28a2845c29a19a5bd731fe77e4979a0.jpg

20220915_202752684.jpg.1c0b606ec1724a66b92c1f2fc0c44222.jpg

20220920_121328960.jpg.761b1b612203fbc0edbb1f49512fe9b7.jpg

Unfortunately the Litra N didn't make it this time, but that will hopefully be ready for the next exhibition appearance in February.

Look forward to seeing faces old and new this weekend.

G

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Simplest track plan ever! One single line end to end.

That did not stop it drawing crowds though.

The team who made it have exhibited other Scandanavian layouts at Ontraxs over a period of around a decade I believe.

All of them have been turned out beautifully scenically speaking.

Peter

Peter,

Are they Dutch or Danish? I'm guessing the former from the quality of the scenery. When we exhibited at Rail 2016 I remember having a long conversation with a couple of guys who were then building a Swedish layout. Maybe the same group?

Geraint

Edited by Middlepeak

4 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Peter,

Are they Dutch or Danish? I'm guessing the former from the quality of the scenery. When we exhibited at Rail 2016 I remember having a long conversation with a couple of guys who were then building a Swedish layout. Maybe the same group?

Geraint

It's by a Dutch guy called Steef and his wife, he had a previous Danish layout in CM and they're currently working on an SNCB project. His instagram handle is "stedahult.creations"

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the advantages of exhibiting is that hopefully people come along and take nice photos of your train set from different angles and are happy to share them with you afterwards.

So it's thanks to Phil Sutton for the following photo of the new Frichs diesel grumbling away as it waits in the loop with the PW train. Great picture, Phil. Thank you!

804002018_M6onPWtrain.jpg.d61c6bf1503c8b52106e7b9cc66e3eed.jpg

While we're talking about pictures, a nice surprise email yesterday from my good friend Jens Bruun-Petersen in Denmark with an attachment of 72 detailed photos of the remaining Litra N in preservation at the Danske Jernbane Klub facility at Marslev. Previous requests direct to the DJK for photos of the two rod tunnels either side of the boiler had not met with any success, so Jens and his colleagues from the Ribe club offered to have an outing to Marslev some time this autumn. The results are fascinating and I will need to spend quite some time looking through the photos to determine what level of detail can and should be incorporated into the model.

P1240610.JPG.d8491e625b5526c4e732bd67c39c32bf.JPG

P1240573.JPG.1bcace30b497270f18abc3eae534e1db.JPG

P1240607.JPG.a431c175288ac1732026cc357b598e0f.JPG

No excuses now!

G

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

I've had a bit of a break from things Danish, largely because of the need to redesign some parts for the Litra N, but with the arrival of the new etch from PPD just before Christmas, there was no longer any excuse.

First stage was to add cab doors and handrails to the footplate / cab unit. I used 2mm handrail knobs this time, which have a less conspicuous profile than the 4mm ones.

20230112_172434.jpg.48d22f51e55b8edfd779887ab5df8e91.jpg

At the front end I've now fitted the raised and curved profile to the footplate, which also overlaps the buffer beam slightly. Tank fillers have also been added and a hinged lid on the left hand tank, which could be the access to a small coal bunker. All these bits of detail emerged from the photos received from Denmark in October.

20230112_172458.jpg.4067afe131df9edf87bb53775ac1540b.jpg

Next some improvements to the boiler unit, which has to be detachable to slide over the motor and flywheel. At the front end we have a handrail and smokebox door hinge, together with two lamp brackets. Behind those, there's a clack valve either side of the boiler and a handrail. Finally there are two spindly safety valves just behind the dome. These will be trimmed down later when the dome is fitted.

20230112_172629.jpg.5aa99dd0e362a2929d82a67920710ef1.jpg

Put the two units together and it starts to look more like an engine.

20230112_172721.jpg.3e57ebd4e6fcaf3d2bb5e071a78967f6.jpg

One of the critical things at this stage is to plan ahead. For each unit I need to do all the fittings that require soldering first. With those done, I can then move on to the 3D printed items and one or two small plasticard bits that will give added detail. The boiler unit is just about ready for those now, but there's still some more soldering to do on the footplate unit.

And as for the chassis ........ !!

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A bit more progress on the boiler unit over the last couple of days, with the steam and sand dome now attached, including pipework for the sanders and safety valves. Just the chimney left to fit and some filling around the 3D printed items, and the boiler unit will then be done.

20230119_110345.jpg.57d1c62aae6b2ef32b83de260c36ecca.jpg

The smokebox door proved to be a real pain, in particular the hinge straps. The etched versions looked too thick and were difficult to shape over the compound curves of the door, so in the end I used paper strips, secured with superglue.

20230119_110231.jpg.0c887073ea4f0f8ad5e8215f5cfa7850.jpg

Next stage is probably the cab roof.

G

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

With the boiler unit now finished and the 3D printed parts suitably bedded in, attention turned to the footplate and cab today.

First off, the cab roof, which is removable and now needs a whistle and rainstrips.

Secondly the lubricator that sits on the edge of the footplate in front of the left hand splasher. 9 separate bits of brass and nickel silver that finally came together without the soldering iron causing any damage, (apart from my frayed nerves!). 

20230120_173023.jpg.c74f0aba23f075e5a25ae71d114418ac.jpg

I must say that building this little loco has really developed my utmost respect for those who scratchbuild in 2mmFS. Hats off to you folks!!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for your kind comments Mikkel. There's always a different challenge in modelling the railways of a different country - as you do so well with "Farthing"!

It's just a shame that Obbekær will be unlikely to leave the UK again, thanks to Brexit. We really enjoyed the DMJU exhibition in Kolding, back in 2014.

Best wishes,

Geraint

• Friendly/supportive 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some more detail added to the footplate unit, including cab steps and front axle springs. That marks the end of soldered assembly on both boiler and footplate units, so I can now turn to plastic items such as buffers before applying the primer.

Not much progress on the chassis. It rolls very smoothly and I've now sorted out how to do the crankpin nuts on the front axle, where clearances are minimal. However, the cylinders will have to be redesigned to get the crosshead clearances right, so this may be another application for 3D printing.

IMG-20230204-WA0003.jpeg.f02f9b87fd80f38abc5c7af35f689d48.jpeg

Sadly the loco won't now be finished for our next show outing at Biggleswade on the 18th, but it may have a quick run up and down when no-one's looking!

G

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Some more detail added to the footplate unit, including cab steps and front axle springs. That marks the end of soldered assembly on both boiler and footplate units, so I can now turn to plastic items such as buffers before applying the primer.

Not much progress on the chassis. It rolls very smoothly and I've now sorted out how to do the crankpin nuts on the front axle, where clearances are minimal. However, the cylinders will have to be redesigned to get the crosshead clearances right, so this may be another application for 3D printing.

IMG-20230204-WA0003.jpeg.f02f9b87fd80f38abc5c7af35f689d48.jpeg

Sadly the loco won't now be finished for our next show outing at Biggleswade on the 18th, but it may have a quick run up and down when no-one's looking!

G

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to see your layout on the list the other day. 

• 4 weeks later...

A bit of light relief in amongst the fitting and scribing of stones on my P4 Friden bridge at Missenden yesterday.

Here's a blast from the past - a DSB Kulkran, which I was given as a laser cut kit back in 2004, some time before that kind of process was commercially popular.

20230305_090233.jpg.d89c66fb1f2393d435f67e902bdf299a.jpg

The crane was used to lift small tubs which were then emptied into locos.

1836207907_lk080122kulkran.jpg.54e0d3610924376a279a79a171beb58e.jpg

A twee little model, which might grace the coal siding at Ribe Skibbroen - if or when that comes to fruition!

G

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

An observation today, rather than a specific update.

I've spent a very enjoyable day with Dutch friends at the Ontraxs exhibition at the National Railway Museum in Utrecht. Lots of nice layouts positioned carefully in between the permanent exhibits, so much to look at.

Without going into too much detail, one of the immediate impressions of the day was the quality of scenic modelling and weathering present on most of the layouts, together with the wealth of suitable materials available from the trade stands. No "box shifters" but genuine supporters of the modelling craft. Lessons a plenty for UK modellers and maybe for exhibition managers too. 

Some photos to back up the assertion. Back to reality and the workbench next week!

20230317_111851.jpg.4326f8fc2c875bcd13db7a0bf4e1bc3d.jpg

20230317_122115.jpg.d9092d605c1d32acab715073457993a6.jpg

20230317_125723.jpg.876422ba89141908b73f1de8c92c73c2.jpg

20230317_150347.jpg.68a11f0c6251d3d7f782a418d827738c.jpg

My apologies that some of these are mis-oriented, but you get my drift!

G

Edited by Middlepeak
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

Just one other thought from yesterday, while I remember it. There were no barriers anywhere at Ontraxs.

OK you may say, but in my view this made for a very poor viewing experience. Why? Well largely because of the many, even perhaps the majority of people whose viewing of layouts is all down to the collection of images and videos on their phones. In many cases they are stretching over the front of the layouts to get that exclusive shot.

On a long layout, where it's important to get an impression of the whole model, it's just not possible to see more than a couple of feet to either side of you and the visual impression is totally destroyed.

On a more practical note, the French layout that was the subject of the third photo in the last post was set up for operation from the front with DCC. At least 70 feet long, and with the poor drivers trying to follow their train from one end to the other, you had the unfortunate sight of the operator having to walk behind the barrage of photographers pressing against the front of the layout and often totally obscuring his view of the road ahead!

Whenever Obbekær goes to an exhibition, I normally like to insist on barriers being available. After yesterday I think I might be even more insistent in the future!

G

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Geraint.  I’m quite new to following this thread, and not a P87 modeller, so I hope it’s OK to add a comment or two.

16 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Just one other thought from yesterday, while I remember it. There were no barriers anywhere at Ontraxs.

OK you may say, but in my view this made for a very poor viewing experience. Why? Well largely because of the many, even perhaps the majority of people whose viewing of layouts is all down to the collection of images and videos on their phones. In many cases they are stretching over the front of the layouts to get that exclusive shot.

On a long layout, where it's important to get an impression of the whole model, it's just not possible to see more than a couple of feet to either side of you and the visual impression is totally destroyed.

On a more practical note, the French layout that was the subject of the third photo in the last post was set up for operation from the front with DCC. At least 70 feet long, and with the poor drivers trying to follow their train from one end to the other, you had the unfortunate sight of the operator having to walk behind the barrage of photographers pressing against the front of the layout and often totally obscuring his view of the road ahead!

Whenever Obbekær goes to an exhibition, I normally like to insist on barriers being available. After yesterday I think I might be even more insistent in the future!

G

I wanted to acknowledge your observation here as a measured and informative comment on what can be a sensitive issue (as can anything to do with exhibitions, I’m afraid).  You certainly have my support - it is another way in which smartphones have changed things.  After reading your comment I realised I didn’t take any photos at all at a large regional exhibition I went to last weekend.  I had a great day out, so it’s particularly helpful to me to read your explanation on this point as it wouldn’t occur to me.  Thank you.

I’ve also watched your video from a couple of years back made for a virtual Scaelfour exhibition.  I watch quite a lot of layout videos (OK, far too many), and I think this is just about the best I’ve seen.  Nice, gentle tempo (helped by the subject), with the right amount of helpful prototype information to add to the enjoyment without getting in the way.  Sets the standard.

On 12/10/2022 at 18:31, swisspeat said:

There was another scenically attractive DSB layout at Ontraxs 22 that might interest followers of this absorbing thread. Regards, Peter

I also enjoyed this one - there’s probably no such thing as a “perfect” model railway (the builders usually being the most aware of any perceived shortfalls), but this very simple one could come close in my book.  I’ll continue to follow this inspirational thread for more, and look forward to further developments, Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Keith,

Thanks for your observations and kind comments on the film.

I think we sometimes miss the point that presentation of a model to the public is all important, and that exhibition managers have a role to play in that too. I spent quite a long time over the weekend talking about the late Iain Rice with my Dutch friends, all of whom knew him very well. He was in many ways the pioneer of a new style of presentation, with the layout set higher, the proscenium arch to frame the view and the use of a full height backscene with operation from the front or the side. It was interesting to see just how many of the layouts at Ontraxs were built and presented in this style. However, the organisers hadn't really picked this up and the overall presentation of the exhibition suffered as a result.

All in all, quite thought provoking, and it will be interesting to see whether this conflict persists over the next few seasons of exhibitions, both here and abroad!

Best wishes,

Geraint

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Sadly I have relate an incident that caused some damage to the Litra N. Having enjoyed a productive modelling afternoon at a friend's house I was driving home when a piece of idiotic behaviour from another road user caused me to brake sharply, sending the N in its little box onto the floor of the car. The result was two broken buffers where the heads had snapped off.

I've dropped the repair to the back of the queue, but this afternoon I took the plunge and drilled out the original Weinert plastic buffers to take turned down Wizard buffer heads.

20230501_173513.jpg.dce19e77acd3512520fe074084f03b5b.jpg

There's also been some progress on the firebox backhead, but still a simplified tangle of pipework to be fitted to the top. I wish I knew what it all did!

G

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 3 weeks later...

After what has at times seemed like an age, which to be fair included organising and managing a visit of a group from our Danish twin town of Ribe, I can at last get back to the chassis for the Litra N.

The latest etch from PPD yielded a revised design of cylinders and slide bars. The latter are particularly flimsy, despite being constructed of two layers of 0.3mm nickel silver, so for now they still have the remains of the assembly jig between them to stop them getting bent. 

The cylinder and slide bar units are bolted to the frames, with the tails of the slide bars fitting in slots in the motion bracket. These will be trimmed back later, but the idea is that the whole unit can be taken off the chassis for painting.

20230523_172030.jpg.8f8d3bae74237dc3793e0166b5d68262.jpg

20230523_172015.jpg.dc2910226973a999f0e6a660ce52e6a2.jpg

I'm currently making the drain cocks, but in truth these are too small to show sensibly in a photograph until they're assembled on the cylinders!

More soon, hopefully .....

G

• Like 13

• 5 weeks later...

A little more progress yesterday after a lengthy period working on a commission for someone else.

Time to finish off the cylinder / slide bars / crosshead assembly, before the chassis can be painted. First thing though was to replicate the hefty bolts on the front of the cylinders. Although I'd half etched some recesses in the front plates in the hope of drilling them out and soldering in some short sections of nickel silver wire to simulate the bolts, I chickened out on the basis that application of a soldering iron might collapse the whole structure. Plasticard rod was used instead, secured with superglue, which also had the advantage that all the 'bolts' could easily to trimmed back to the same length with a fine file.

20230621_151236.jpg.45264d6bd3c7e9233b9cd9833aef45a5.jpg

You will recall that the somewhat flimsy slide bars are two layers of 0.3mm n/s, soldered up in a jig. They also extend right through to the cylinder front plate for strength and slot into the motion plate at the back. Time now to bite the bullet and remove the jig carefully with a jeweller's saw and clean things up with fine grit paper.

20230621_151152.jpg.1ffbfa91a00e63261d29a5495df941d6.jpg

In this photo, the cylinder on the left has had the jig removed, whilst the one on the right is awaiting similar treatment.

Crossheads next!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4