Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

SD card problem in camera.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I have a Lumix DMC FS 10 compact camera and have purchased a new 32GB SDHC card which works perfectly for still photography but not for movie recording. After a few seconds of movie recording this message comes up on the viewscreen " This card is not formatted for this camera and not suitable for movie recording"

Being rather unproficient in such things I would be glad of any advice and help out there about re-formatting, if this would cure the problem. I've looked up acres of stuff on Google about it, but haven't found anything specific covering this particular problem.

Maybe I've just bought the wrong card!

Many thanks in advance

John

• RMweb Gold

John have you formatted the card on your camera? Somewhere in the camera menu there will be (or should be I hope) a 'format' command and you use it to, in effect, set-up the card to work with your camera's way of working. If you have/can find the original guide for the camera look up 'formatting' in the index and then follow the instructions but beware that teh process will erase any images you already have on the card.

• RMweb Gold

Try StationMasters suggestion of formatting the card, check your manual for the maximum supported capacity for SD cards, (I think Andy may have the answer)

Edit - a quick google implies the card size should be Ok, try the format (see the manual)

• RMweb Gold

You nomrally need an SD card with a class 6 or higher number for video recording especially if the camera does HD video. The class of card is normally a number inside a leter 'C' on the card.

There are a lot of cards available very cheaply on line that are fine for still photography but not video, so worth checking what class the card is before purchasing.

• RMweb Gold

I nearly bought one of those cameras as a present for my son but the only one the shop had was in pink and he ended up with a slightly more expensive greyish Canon. Trying to work out what card to buy probably initiated my search for SD card information.

• RMweb Gold

Very many thanks all for the rapid responses. I'll try out your advice Mike and see what happens.

I suspect that I've been 'too greedy' in wanting a huge capacity for this camera, which incidently is a little gem for macro stills particularly at the price I paid for it!

This increased memory need all started with my using the camera recently in 'movie mode' for the first time filming 'Morfa' and at DRAG with good results.

I'll keep the new card for stills and buy a new 4GB one for the movies.

Again thanks guys for the help.

Regards

Your post reminded me that I need a high capacity card for my new Fujipix 600EXR, and I had a 7dayshop post this morning. Wasn't sure what size card it would take so I rang Fuji UK to discover that if I REALLY want that much space, I can fit an SDXC 64GB card - but I think that is a bit silly - thats 8 HOURS of HD video recording!!!) - I ordered a 16GB one which will keep me going for a while!

You nomrally need an SD card with a class 6 or higher number for video recording especially if the camera does HD video. The class of card is normally a number inside a leter 'C' on the card.

There are a lot of cards available very cheaply on line that are fine for still photography but not video, so worth checking what class the card is before purchasing.

I think Roundhouse has this spot on. Capacity is not the problem, for video you need a card that is at least a class 6.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I think Roundhouse has this spot on. Capacity is not the problem, for video you need a card that is at least a class 6.

Adrian

Not necessarily, but then I've only got several hundred hours of video so I'm guessing. It depends on the speed the camera streams to the card, the card needs to be faster than the camera, my video camera does NOT require class 6.

Capacity IS a problem if the camera cannot access it.

John,

You need to confirm (not speculate as we are) what the maximum capacity card your camera can deal with actually is, and if it's not 32GB then DO NOT USE IT in the camera, what will happen is the card will work fine for a while but at some stage (unless you empty it) it will go beyond the cameras capacity, at that point the results will be indeterminate but are likely to mean any images on the card will become unusable, you may remember that now, but next Christmas or New Year after the Christmas photos have been taken (and before they are backed up), or a special birthday or a special event, if you get the point?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Dave and everybody else for all the good advice.

The Lumix compact camera that I recently acquired has only been used for stills and not having used the movie function before, I had assumed that I needed a huge memory (hence the 32GB card purchase!), but as it turns out that is far too much for my needs. The recommended 4GB card that has been purchased works fine and will give me quite adequate movie memory for my purposes. I don't have much on the card at any one time as I normally upload fairly quickly after use. In my ignorance I was happily using the 512MB card from my original (early) Lumix which served me well!

Again thanks chaps.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

I believe I am correct in stating that a Class 6 card is the minimum needed for video, with a Class 10 recommended. This is irrespective of the size (number of gigabytes) of the particular card. If you expect to record decent video, this is not a place to try to save expense. As we say in the States. "...you pays your money and you takes your chances...".

Best Wishes,

Carl

• RMweb Gold

I believe I am correct in stating that a Class 6 card is the minimum needed for video, with a Class 10 recommended. This is irrespective of the size (number of gigabytes) of the particular card. If you expect to record decent video, this is not a place to try to save expense. As we say in the States. "...you pays your money and you takes your chances...".

Not necessarily, but then I've only got several hundred hours of video so I'm guessing. It depends on the speed the camera streams to the card, the card needs to be faster than the camera, my video camera does NOT require class 6.

Capacity IS a problem if the camera cannot access it.

Cough (with an additional 20+ hours of video since that posting) although my new camera, the old one had an "operating incident" with a piece of concrete, may do, I've had to shuffle SD cards as, rather strangely, my Canon still camera runs slower with a faster card (!), so the video has a very fast card at the moment.

If all else fails RTFM.

...... my video camera does NOT require class 6.

Greetings,

This is correct applied to those cameras that don't have an "fps" (frames per second) capability that requires a Class 6 or above card. The Lumix about which John (Re6/6) initially enquired does require such a card. The FS10 is capable of recording HD at 30 fps, too much for an SD card of less than Class 6 capability to properly record. Going up to a Class 10 would additionally virtually guarantee that the SD card was able (assuming a properly charged, properly functioning camera with a sufficiently large aperature, etc.) to record the best quality video the camera was capable of recording. The Gb capacity merely pertains to "how much" image can cumulatively be saved. At 30fps, a small capacity Gb card gets "filled up" much quicker than a large capacity Gb card solely based on the capacity of the card.

Kind Regards,

Carl

Your comments are probably right but the problem was the card was too high capacity and was not supported by his camera.

Greetings John,

You have posted many beautiful photos and exceptional videos (on You Tube), so there's no question as to your ability as a photographer/videographer. As with all things "photo" related, the "magic" is in the user, not what's being used.

The Lumix manual for this camera (available on-line) specifies various SD/SDHC/SDXC cards that this specific model of camera is capable of using, the latter ranging up to 64Gb. So the problem presented to be resolved (as the very first poster after the initial enquiry identified) is that the particular card being used was either an inappropriate (not specified) card or one not formatted correctly.

Best Wishes,

Carl

Archived