If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Is Trix any good for UK OO ?

Trix is the 2 rail DC brand of Marklin , and as you're finding out, not cheap (The fact that Marklin still run stud contact 3 rail AC as their main range, and promote it as a viable alternative in the German market says a lot about Marklin) I have no knowledge of this particular model - German RTR has had a reputation for being high quality for many years , but some tooling in Marklin's range is pretty long in the tooth

• RMweb Premium

Not sure how the question is related to the content.

The photo and question relates to a Trix German HO model & is nothing to do with the UK or 00.

If you are asking if it will run on the same tracks, the answer is yes. But the prototypes you mentioned would never have met.

However, its your railway and of course you're entitled to run whatever you like, when it suits you.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Gold

One problem that you may have is buffer height on the Trix loco, which being a 3.5mm scale model will be lower than the other 4mm scale models you are using, I'd suggest that you have a look at the loco before buying it, on some track with 4mm rolling stock next to it and see if the height difference is going to be acceptable for you. I suppose you could try fitting larger diameter buffer heads to make it less obvious if it does look like being a problem.

Possibly more important than the lower buffer height*, is the closer buffer spacing of H0 buffers as the models are usually seen from above. The larger Continental loading gauge means UK and Continental models are approximately the same size.

* around 2mm - about the prototype tolerance. There may be problems with some older Hornby stock which rides around 2mm high.

Trix has a long history, being the direct descendant of the original 00/H0 Bing toys/models of the 20s. It is probable however that, like Hornby, there is little more than the name in common with the original firm.

As well as the 3.5mm/4mm and bufferbeam height differences, you might also find that there are issues with couplings. Some of the newer items may have NEM pockets which means replacements and standardisation is easy but older models it may be difficult and require certain skills that you may or may not have.

There have been various Trix offerings to a notional "British 00" over the years. I am aware of an A3 which competed (is that a word?) with the early Tri-ang/Hornby Scotsman, a Peppercorn pacific around the same time, and a Swindon Cross-Country DMU.

Ed

The old steam outline 2 rail Trix were actually pretty good models, 73000, 70000 and Manchester -Sheffield electrics too. Sad that they were HO rather than OO, bit like that Rivarossi Scot. I had 73000 for years, it ran really well but of course was obviously small when alongside OO stock.

Edward

Hi Ken,

While I certainly don't profess to be an expert (in anything!), I do know a little about some Trix products.

In general, they are built like tanks! Very heavy, rugged, solid & reliable but a bit noisy due to the metal gears.

This particular model is not one I have so can't comment on it's accuracy or otherwise. However, from your picture in your OP, this model would appear to have DCC controlled Telex couplers.

As you can see, they are rather 'chunky'! These are designed to be used with other Trix/Marklin design couplers and are probably okay with the 'standard' Euro loop & hook coupler, may also be okay with the similar Roco coupler (NOT the close coupler though).

If you want to run this loco with UK wagons, I would suggest you be prepared to change the couplings on any/all of your UK wagons.

I doubt you will be able to change the coupling on the loco and if you did, you would lose the DCC coupling capability.

Therefore, may I suggest that you try and get hold of the Roco version of the 290 or 294? Hopefully, it would be somewhat cheaper.

I'm sure that Roco have done a 290 as a friend of mine has one but that particular one is an older model!

HTH,

John E.

PS A bit naughty to copy the Gaugemaster picture onto here? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33-copyright-rules/page__view__findpost__p__67

Thanks for your reply, Ken.

I'm sorry to harp on about this (probably needlessly), but this is actually an important point. This is Andy York's site, so to use this site freely, we all have a duty to ensure the rules are followed, this is why I inserted a link in my post above.

I emphasise here that I am not 'picking on' you, just trying to help you to help yourself for future postings.

Here I quote from the rules,

"If the image was not taken by you or you do not own rights to reproduce that image you must ensure that you have the consent of the image owner to reproduce the image on the forum. If you do have the consent of the owner of the image to reproduce it on here it is customary practice to credit the photographer and/or image owner, this certainly goes a long way to maintaining goodwill and at least ensures that you are not trying to pass off another persons property as your own."

Therefore, please ensure that you give due credit for the picture above, possibly quoting from Gaugemaster's response to your email to back up your last paragraph and I can rest assured that nothing untoward has happened.

I'm sure that all is above board and I'll look like a haddock here but this site is more important than my 'face', ha, ha!

I also sincerely hope that you take no offence at my observations.

Cheers,

John E.

There is no need to close or delete the topic as further discussions on the subject of Trix is fine. It is not our policy to close and delete topics unless breaches of the rules have taken place.

The British Trix models quoted have little relation to the German Trix model referred to in the OP, as the two branches Trix Twin and Trix Express went their own ways in the mid-fifties. The scale (like the Rivarossi 'Scot' and most of their Continental models) is best described as around 1:80. and incompatible with both 00 and H0, as placing them together will show at once. Italian modellers were particularly unfortunate, as their two big suppliers of models worked to different scales (and coupling standards*).

The later Trix models (including the Gresley pacific I believe) were to 4mm scale, but by then it was too late.

* Lima are one of the worst examples and Rivarossi one of the best examples of the Continental loop (or 'dunny seat' if you're Australian) coupling IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Trix_Express

I was only repeating what I'd heard*, not owning any of the beasts. I had assumed the A4 was actually 4mm since Bachmann used the tooling later on.

Come to that, they never mastered 3.8mm to the foot, as a ruler will show. :O

I found this interesting Trix history, which confirms the scale of the AL1 and pacifics as 4mm, but, as I said, I haven't measured them myself.

http://www.theplatelayers.org/symposium2009/trix.pdf

even the late models were only 3.8mm to the foot

People keep repeating that the final (British) Trix LNER Pacifics were 3.8mm/ft scale not 4mm, but without citing convincing evidence for the conjecture or rumour.

The subject came up here only three weeks ago, in a thread about the Trix/Lilliput A2 on January 13th.

I can only repeat what I wrote then: my Trix A3 is 4mm scale, and I know this because I measured it with a ruler and vernier caliper!

People keep repeating that the final (British) Trix LNER Pacifics were 3.8mm/ft scale not 4mm, but without citing convincing evidence for the conjecture or rumour.

The subject came up here only three weeks ago, in a thread about the Trix/Lilliput A2 on January 13th.

I can only repeat what I wrote then: my Trix A3 is 4mm scale, and I know this because I measured it with a ruler and vernier caliper!

I had read your post and considered referring to it (but couldn't remember where I'd seen it! :( ). I would add that the original Trix Pacific (Presumably an A1 as it was first introduced in the late thirties) does not look out of place with 4mm locomotives (crudity apart). Certainly the buffer spacing is 00 (over width on some Trix models).

Archived