4 CIG for Newhaven Harbour

Colin,

I have only just come across this thread as I tend to concentrate on the scratchbuild threads.

However, your work is fabulous and really captures these EMUs that seemed to take me almost everywhere int eh 1980's (I lived in Guildford).

You have a real way with plastic!

Many thanks Porthchullin Tatty!

It is hard to keep up with all the threads and I have only been active on this topic for the most part of this year. The next project will revert to the scratch-building section - just to confuse you!

Re. "a way with plastic" - I do think plastic is very forgiving and versatile: even the coach sides on the model now have been cut-and-shut, which would be hard to achieve in any other material.

I too went all over the place on these units, in the late sixties and early seventies in my case.

All the best Colin

Today is going to be a long day: it is cutting out the glazing time!

With the sides all being separate items (at least for now in the case of the DTCLs), it is not too hard to cut out and temporarily glaze the windows. It is just that there are 88 of them,

The outer glazing is cut to fit in the window aperture and is held in by the etched window frame edges. It is now that sloppy work is revealing itself, with some delicate work with the knife to correct lumpy bits on the rebates etc. A bit of the 'cutting-and shutting' mentioned in my previous post can be seen on the r/h side of this particular window.

post-8139-0-79024900-1346582525_thumb.jpg

A second pane fits in the recess in the sidebehind the outer pane, thus making each window double-glazed. This inner pane will have the 'No-Smoking and 'First Class' transfers applied to the outer face and orange curtains painted on the inner. The theory is that the curtains will appear to stand off the side by about two scale inches. Only the inner pane will be glued in place.

OK, so that's 176 individual parts to cut and carefully store until after the sides are painted and finished.

post-8139-0-47659600-1346582562_thumb.jpg

Galzing the door droplights is complicated by the fact that there are door hinges and other door fittings which protrude behind.

Re. painting, I stumbled across a very interesting topic on bow pens by Mike Trice in the 'Painting & wethering' section. Post #11 by Coachmann gives what must be the last word on how to paint bi-coloured coach sides. His explanation he refers to BR blood and custard liveried coaches, but should work with BR blue/grey.

Windows all cut out and safely stored away. There were more than 176 - I'd forgotten about the cab fronts (12 more pieces) and all the droplights (26).

Tonight the gangway ends on the cabs were given a little extra detailing in the form of a lot of tiny holes. Excuse the wonky buffer head.

post-8139-0-59429900-1347069786_thumb.jpg

The buffing plates have had their shafts (or whatever these bits are called) added. The narrow end is attached to the plate and the thicker part to the headstock. On the inner ends, these parts are only attached to the gangway and are 1mm short of the headstock to allow the gangway to turn on curves.

post-8139-0-98298200-1347069810_thumb.jpg

Painting starts tomorrow hopefully.

Slight progress this week:

post-8139-0-97320000-1347750425_thumb.jpg

This is the interior, such as it is , for the MBSO. This particular module has shallow seats due to it sitting atop the motor coach's large ballast weight (which is 3.5mm thick).

post-8139-0-31962300-1347749617_thumb.jpg

The other three interior assemblies will be built onto the original Bachmann floors. I am hoping to recycle the seat/partion mouldings for the first class compartments of the DTCLs. The exact layout of the 4 CIG interiors seems to look different in some photos to the plans I have. One photo on the web clearly shows a partition (with no sliding door) in what looks like a picture of an MBSO interior. I wonder if this was a picture of an internally refurbished unit?

Making the most of a wet Sunday, the reat of the seating has been made. These ones still need tidying up with a needle file to round off the edges. Absolute fidelity to the prototype seating has not been observed! Lucky that the first class seats do not have to be scratch-built too.

post-8139-0-51434700-1347836864_thumb.jpg

A view through Pete Harvey's excellent etched windows on the motor coach shows the seat module in place. The shallowness of the seats does not show too much. Only the inner sides of the seats have been modelled as the outer ones will not be visible from any normal viewing angle. There should be arm pads on the seat side panels. They have not been fitted, but despite being an absolute fiddle to fit over 70 such tiny things, I am tempted to do so.

post-8139-0-92005700-1347836890_thumb.jpg

There should be arm pads on the seat side panels. They have not been fitted, but despite being an absolute fiddle to fit over 70 such tiny things, I am tempted to do so.
Couldn't these just be represented by paint, Colin? I assume the inner walls are going to be painted at some stage anyway. If it were 7mm scale I'd expect the proper Formica patterning to be printed, of course!

Looking very nice Colin.

Pete

Thanks Pete!

I have now carefully super-glued all your windows in place. Working with the point of a pin, each frame now has a minute fillet of glue on the top and bottm edge. The vertical edges of the frames are held tight to the sides due to their curvature.

Considering the rough handling the sides have had in trial-fittng the glazing, this seems to be a pretty durable method of fixing.

All the best,

Colin

Couldn't these just be represented by paint, Colin? I assume the inner walls are going to be painted at some stage anyway. If it were 7mm scale I'd expect the proper Formica patterning to be printed, of course!

7995909785_d19fd12af3.jpg

This is off the walls of a 4BIG buffet car. Shouldn't be too much problem to cut out in plasticard! I thinking of doing this design as a bathroom floor.

I don't remember any doors [sliding or otherwise] in the middle of the MBSO or SO - the only ones in the units were in the driving trailers between the open saloon and the compartment the bogs. Had many uncomfortable rides in this horrid part of the unit when there was nowhere else to stand. That long bench seat next to the guards van was a much nicer, favourite spot.

That corridor connection with all the drilled holes is a work of art.

R

Hi Bernard,

The arm pads are about 3" x 3" x 9" on the real thing and they seem to sit on top of the panels at each end of the seat unit. It's only a matter 1mm x 1mm x 3mm in 4mm scale, but the MK1 type windows are quite large and allow a much better view of the interior than those of my previous EMU models. Having said that, the Bachmann Mk1 interiors are very simple but effective, so perhaps 'less is more' in this case.

As for formica-clad compartment walls, it would be possible to add an overlay of 10 thou. plasticard on the inside face...

Colin

7995909785_d19fd12af3.jpg

This is off the walls of a 4BIG buffet car. Shouldn't be too much problem to cut out in plasticard! I thinking of doing this design as a bathroom floor.

I don't remember any doors [sliding or otherwise] in the middle of the MBSO or SO - the only ones in the units were in the driving trailers between the open saloon and the compartment the bogs. Had many uncomfortable rides in this horrid part of the unit when there was nowhere else to stand. That long bench seat next to the guards van was a much nicer, favourite spot.

That corridor connection with all the drilled holes is a work of art.

R

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for the information and picture. The Pete Harvey etches do contain windows for a 4 BIG, so you never know what might happen next.

As for the query I raised re. the partitions, it could be a case of a mis-named photo. The DTCLs will have the internal layout as you describe.

I'm not too proud of my hole-drilling on the gangway ends - see Ceptic's photos!

All the best,

Colin

Still teaseing with the paint job, them seats are great.

Hi pilkko,

There has been a lot of practising with a borrowed airbrush, but from experience of previous builds, the painting has been postponed until the interiors have been proved to fit.

Colin

Smeg head was often an insult used in the excellent comedy Red Dwarf.

The CIG looks great by the way!

Thanks for the clarification kintbury jon.

I don't get to watch much TV these days, but now you mention it, I do remember that line from Red Dwarf!

Colin

I'm not too proud of my hole-drilling on the gangway ends - see Ceptic's photos!

All the best,

Colin

They look damn good to me. :good:, ......(as does the Yellow tint. Is it Warning or Connex Yellow ?)

I was surprised Hornby managed it on their skinny ones.

Now,....about those dead flies ?

They look damn good to me. :good:, as does the Yellow tint. Is it Warning or Connex Yellow ?

I was surprised Hornby managed it on their skinny ones.

Now,....about those dead flies ?

Hi there Ceptic!

There are one or two anomalies in the posititions of the 'holes', but to be honest, they don't show up greatly. (I am in denial more like). As for the colour of the cab fronts, it's is just an accident, having left the camera on the wrong light setting. The whole unit is still 'in-the-white' despite my constant assertions that I will be painting it.

The dead flies will be made from bits of the swarf saved from when the 'holes' were drilled in the black plasticard.

Seriously though, I might try a bit of airbrush spatter to represent this feature. Most prominent on 4 CIG cab fronts seemed to be the accumulation of brown gunge above the cab gangway shroud which obscured the yellow painted cab top.

Tonight will be spent trying to get the remaining three interiors at least to the point of aligning the seats etc. with the body sides. I have no accurate plans for the interiors, so this job will have to be done by eye. Having looked again on the web, it appears that there are numerous photos on Flickr (correct spelling?!) showing CIGs with a partition dividing the saloon areas of the MBSO and maybe in the TSO too. Could this be to do with No-Smoking areas I wonder? No published plans show any intermediate partitions.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Premium

You do know that Bachmann will release a model now.

That EMU though is good, good luck with painting it, it always scares me.

As to Smeg - many laughs in electrical stores at the fridges, usually whistling or singing "Lying ship wrecked and comatose" ect

You do know that Bachmann will release a model now.

That EMU though is good, good luck with painting it, it always scares me.

As to Smeg - many laughs in electrical stores at the fridges, usually whistling or singing "Lying ship wrecked and comatose" ect

Hi MJI,

If Bachmann do release a model of the dreaded 4 CIG good luck to them. However, I did bend the ear of the Hornby chap at DEMU about 4 CIGs, as they have the chassis already in the form of the ill-fated

4 VEP. So you never know what might happen.

Colin (still not painting anything)

Ah, the DTCL interiors! What an unexpectedly complex job. There are photos on flickriver of 'a typical 4 CIG interior'. One view showed a saloon with a partition. Eventually it clicked that this partition was in the DTCL, not that it is indicated on any drawings. The parts look like a couple of Space Invaders. The windows have had the top corners removed to clear the side assembly.

post-8139-0-53075300-1348007059_thumb.jpg

Almost modifying RTR here, by re-using the first class seating from the Bachmann BCKs. I have a horrible feeling one of the DTCL's first class compartments would not have had arm rests, being used as second class seating.

post-8139-0-36208800-1348007084_thumb.jpg

The opposite view of the compartment module, with sliding doors and so on.

post-8139-0-44842700-1348008164_thumb.jpg

The interior now fitted to the original Bachmann floor.

post-8139-0-85763000-1348007118_thumb.jpg

The gangway at the front end is not straight - another complication!

post-8139-0-93760100-1348007151_thumb.jpg

The front face of the gangway has been blanked-off to provide a fixing point for the screws that will hold the cab front in place. (That's the theory anyway.) The horizontal slot is there to clear the strengthening rib/control desk top which is on the inside of the cab front.

post-8139-0-74441700-1348007180_thumb.jpg

A view of the saloon end with the partition in place. It should be possible to see why the two windows were cut away.

post-8139-0-88979900-1348007200_thumb.jpg

And after all that, this is all you can see from the outside!

post-8139-0-75802100-1348007223_thumb.jpg

Going to lie in a dark room now...

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the DTCL interiors! What an unexpectedly complex job. There are photos on flickriver of 'a typical 4 CIG interior'. One view showed a saloon with a partition. Eventually it clicked that this partition was in the DTCL, not that it is indicated on any drawings. The parts look like a couple of Space Invaders. The windows have had the top corners removed to clear the side assembly.

post-8139-0-53075300-1348007059_thumb.jpg

Almost modifying RTR here, by re-using the first class seating from the Bachmann BCKs. I have a horrible feeling one of the DTCL's first class compartments would not have had arm rests, being used as second class seating.

post-8139-0-36208800-1348007084_thumb.jpg

The opposite view of the compartment module, with sliding doors and so on.

post-8139-0-44842700-1348008164_thumb.jpg

The interior now fitted to the original Bachmann floor.

post-8139-0-85763000-1348007118_thumb.jpg

The gangway at the front end is not straight - another complication!

post-8139-0-93760100-1348007151_thumb.jpg

The front face of the gangway has been blanked-off to provide a fixing point for the screws that will hold the cab front in place. (That's the theory anyway.) The horizontal slot is there to clear the strengthening rib/control desk top which is on the inside of the cab front.

post-8139-0-74441700-1348007180_thumb.jpg

A view of the saloon end with the partition in place. It should be possible to see why the two windows were cut away.

post-8139-0-88979900-1348007200_thumb.jpg

And after all that, this is all you can see from the outside!

post-8139-0-75802100-1348007223_thumb.jpg

Going to lie in a dark room now...

Hi Colin

It gets better and better. :good: But it's bring the fateful day closer and closer that the only job left is the paint.

Cheers SS

Archived