switch for three aspect eckon led signal

can someone help me with this problem i am wiring up a three aspect signal and i am not sure what switch to use . i used a on off on switch as i though that by using the centre off position this would turn it into a three way switch , but it did not work , it says in the instructions to use a three way switch, so can someone tell me what this looks like .. many thanks for any reply

Nothing 'wrong' with the above, but...

On the prototype, whether worked by mechnical lever or electrical switch, the 'switch' normally has two positions only. The signalman merely changes the signal from a 'stop' to a 'proceed' indication or vice-versa. Whether in the 'proceed' state the signal shows yellow or green depends upon the aspect of the next signal in advance - it is not a choice made by the signalman.

An alternative approach therefore on your model would be to operate such signals by 2-position switches, using extra switch poles (or relay contacts) to select yellow or green for the 'proceed' aspect subject to the position of the switch for the next signal ahead. It all depends upon whether you feel that it too expensive/complicated for your needs :-)

With a diode to detect and prevent wrong colour being shown

An alternative approach therefore on your model would be to operate such signals by 2-position switches, using extra switch poles (or relay contacts) to select yellow or green for the 'proceed' aspect subject to the position of the switch for the next signal ahead.

• RMweb Gold

Depends on your signalling, if you are installing a 3-aspect signal because you want to, then a rotary or similar is fine, if you want it to work correctly then an alternate method needs to be used, as described above.

You need to remove the end stop so that the switch goes all the way round so that you can go Red - Yellow - Green - Red .....

Hi

If you remove the end stop on a rotary switch it may well allow you to turn the operating knob through 360 degrees.

But without further wiring your signal will go blank while the switch is in positions 4 through to 12 inclusive. It wont re light to Red until position 1 is reached again.

To overcome this it would be necessary to link wire the switches outer tags 1 to tag 4 then onto tag 7 then finally to tag 10. Similarly tag 2 to 5 then to 8 and finally 11. And tag 3 to 6 onto 9 and finaly 12. This turning the switch clockwise would then give R-Y-G--R-Y-G--R-Y-G--R-Y-G-- back to R etc

Edit to corerect typing error.

I do not see any benefit in modifying a rotary switch to enable 360-degree rotation. Apart from the extra work and wiring involved (more to go wrong), you can never be sure then exactly which position it is in 'at a glance'. On the other hand, if the switch is kept with 3 positions only (say Left=R, Middle=Y, Right=G), then at least if you turn the switch hard to the L or R against the stop you will know what aspect is set. But it comes back to the case of personal preference for your own usage.......

Hi

If you remove the end stop on a rotary switch it may well allow you to turn the operating knob through 360 degrees.

But without further wiring your signal will go blank while the switch is in positions 4 through to 12 inclusive. It wont re light to Red until position 1 is reached again.

To overcome this it would be necessary to link wire the switches outer tags 1 to tag 4 then onto tag 7 then finally to tag 10. Similarly tag 2 to 5 then to 8 and finally 11. And tag 3 to 6 onto 9 and finaly 12. This turning the switch clockwise would then give R-Y-G--R-Y-G--R-Y-G--R-Y-G-- back to R etc

Not true if it is a 3-way 4-pole switch, try it!

Not true if it is a 3-way 4-pole switch, try it!

Yeap I did.

By gosh, it does work too! Thinking about it of course it will, as the contacts on A B C & D all move around too.

BUT my switch stops turning at position 12, so I had to go backwards to get to position 1 again! Not sure of the make of 3W 4P switch I used to test it with? Sold by Gaugemaster I believe? It had a metal loop with a small stop pin acting as the limit of travel device fitted under the locking washer etc. There has to be a second stop fitted somewhere inside the switch and as its all plastic its very hard / virtually impossible to open.

I have to agree with RailWest. Moving the rotary switch from position 1 to 2 then to 3 and returning it to 1 again does give a better / easier understood indication of the aspect expected to be displayed on the signal. Its also IMO more prototypical too, though UK signal switches don't normally use three or more positions, just two. 'On' or 'Off'. What the actual aspect shown by the signal once the switch is set to 'Off' is dependant on the signalling and track sections ahead.

Archived