LONGHARTLEY - BR(NE) early 60's

Toftwood

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is, the facing crossover is part of the branch junction. A pukka double to single junction at the down end of the station simply won't fit; conversely if you put the junction at the up end you're looking at another platform.

One solution would be to ditch the BR branch altogether and let the NCB have everything but the main lines:

post-6813-0-42759300-1329091788_thumb.gif

Trouble is, the facing crossover is part of the branch junction. A pukka double to single junction at the down end of the station simply won't fit; conversely if you put the junction at the up end you're looking at another platform.

One solution would be to ditch the BR branch altogether and let the NCB have everything but the main lines:

post-6813-0-42759300-1329091788_thumb.gif

Thanks for the interest that this has provided. Shadow and FP, I like the idea of the 'looped' exchange sidings. I am going to see how they fit to the top left but curled around behind the raised signal box with an exit onto the branch. I am also going to keep the facing crossover: I know! :nono: its not prototypical, but its my railway :beee: , no its because using that it enables trains from the up direction (from the right) to slip in onto the loop clear of the running lines and then into the sidings. The train engine will release to the stabling siding to the right end of the platform.

FP, the way you have the sidings, they would have to be on the flat, and I did want to have an incline. So I shall swing them round to the other side as I have said above.

I shall have to think about how to build the boards no I suppose. :sungum:

Pete

Hi Pete,

Had a play again tonight whilst having a break at work, (on night shift!!)

What do you thing about this?

Made the exchange sidings on a curve,

Put back your facing cross over, but added a single slip to allow exit from the sidings onto the down line, also direct access from the up the other way

Note :- The radii in the lower left are getting tight though!.

Dave

post-3744-0-89871200-1329181078_thumb.png

Hi Pete,

Had a play again tonight whilst having a break at work, (on night shift!!)

What do you thing about this?

Made the exchange sidings on a curve,

Put back your facing cross over, but added a single slip to allow exit from the sidings onto the down line, also direct access from the up the other way

Note :- The radii in the lower left are getting tight though!.

Dave

post-3744-0-89871200-1329181078_thumb.png

Dave, now thats more like it! Thanks. This gives me a basis to proceed on. I knew curves would be tight, but with only 10x6 to play with, that goes with the territory. Now to convert some trees into sawdust!

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Well past the closing date I know, but I couldn't resist posting this concoction which is really just an attempt to prove that a proper double to single junction for the branch can be put together with Peco points. Unfortunately it badly needs more space than you have, as the station platform and crucially the fiddle yard both end up very short and there probably isn't enough width to operate a traverser. Minimum radius is Setrack 3rd as before.

Since it was overwidth anyway, I bunged on a van "kip" at the top for the BR coal trains. There's no connection from the exchange sidings to the down main and as in Shadow's plan I imagine them departing in the up direction onto the main line over the single slip. The BR goods yard looks a little cramped inside the curve, so it might be better to take a siding for coal off the exchange sidings - shown dotted - and just have a single road for general goods on the down side. (I wonder if there's a precedent for working in landsale coal with the empties?)

post-6813-0-38445100-1329512081_thumb.gif

Well past the closing date I know, but I couldn't resist posting this concoction which is really just an attempt to prove that a proper double to single junction for the branch can be put together with Peco points. Unfortunately it badly needs more space than you have, as the station platform and crucially the fiddle yard both end up very short and there probably isn't enough width to operate a traverser. Minimum radius is Setrack 3rd as before.

Since it was overwidth anyway, I bunged on a van "kip" at the top for the BR coal trains. There's no connection from the exchange sidings to the down main and as in Shadow's plan I imagine them departing in the up direction onto the main line over the single slip. The BR goods yard looks a little cramped inside the curve, so it might be better to take a siding for coal off the exchange sidings - shown dotted - and just have a single road for general goods on the down side. (I wonder if there's a precedent for working in landsale coal with the empties?)

post-6813-0-38445100-1329512081_thumb.gif

Thanks for that Simon,, as always .....size matters. I think what I will do is what i usually do and that is using these wonderful plans as a basis just build the boards and see what fits. I may be able to squeeze and extra foot in width for 7 feet at the right side. Thats because I am restricted by a staircase encroaching into the room. i have been doodling with the idea to ditch the island platform and go for a double through with platforms either side and a loop behind. I dunno... probably end up with newcastle central !

Pete

My edit: just had a thought....move the station round to the far left, modelling only part of it with the branch platform as the outer face. That then leaves the freight side clear on its own????? Then swing the whole lot round to the right a little. ?

move the station round to the far left, modelling only part of it with the branch platform as the outer face.

The idea of "bitsa" stations is an excellent one - see Ricey's Wild Swan book. I did it with Clecklewyke, and thereby got the interesting part of the station in just 4ft length. Platforms take up lots of space which is better reserved for the bits where trains are shunted. Go for it!

Ian

Not so much of an update, I have been doodling a few changes to plans over the past week. I have not bought any wood yet, I have been getting my Landrover ready for its MOT, Now thats ready I am working out how much wood I will need. There is a great article in the latest Hornby MAg re: baseboard construction.

More soon

Pete

I forgot to add that I picked up a nice Bachmann Mk1 FK for 16quid at the MNR Dereham Model Railway Ex on saturday. The show was better than last year with a better selection of layouts. Good trade support also.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear Toftwood,

Have you bought any wood yet?

Regards,

Brian.

Errrrrrrrr........No! :nono: :nono: :nono: I keep changing my mind. I have another plan on the board at the moment which gives another take on another Ian Rice plan 'Old Hall and New Hey' I was definatley undecided but now I'm not sure! :scratchhead: However, my L/r is running and has past its MOT so hopefully I can spend abit more time on this. I have been down to the local timber merchant for prices though. ! I will post the two contenders on here in a few days.

Pete

Errrrrrrrr........No! :nono: :nono: :nono: I keep changing my mind. I have another plan on the board at the moment which gives another take on another Ian Rice plan 'Old Hall and New Hey' I was definatley undecided but now I'm not sure! :scratchhead: However, my L/r is running and has past its MOT so hopefully I can spend abit more time on this. I have been down to the local timber merchant for prices though. ! I will post the two contenders on here in a few days.

Pete

These are the two current contenders, V3 show a development of the original plan. V4 is totally different, more of the 'Newcastle Central' of my dreams. V4 is an adaptation of Rice's Old Hey and New Mills design without the double loop figure 8. Its missing crossovers around the station and I am not sure what to put into the top left space. The idea is to have the layout self-contained, trains swapping locos in the station, coaches stored in the carriage sidings, Locos tooing and froing from the shed, freight working from and to the yard in the top left?

Anyway what do you think?

Pete

post-2207-0-06136000-1333480285_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-66524800-1333480328_thumb.jpg

Hi Toftwood

Bit late off the mark but I really liked V2 as modified 12th Feb, the station had a nice curve to it whereas the latest verions look far to tight and cramped. Anyway best of luck and if your mooted Lardy cake factory gets off the ground send us a sample, haven't had a decent one since the old lady at the bakery packed it in!

• 1 year later...

Blimey is it a year since I posted on Longhartley?  well things are afoot (4mm! ha ha) as they say.  My space (not my waist) has expanded somewhat.... a taster shown below.  This shows my new room which became available and is now complete except for the painting out to be completed.  It gives me an area of around 14/15'x10/11' to build in :O which is bigger than anything I have had previously.  So you can imagine whats been running round in the old grey cells recently......

I will upload some of the completed room shortly

Pete

post-2207-0-89867600-1371408977_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-59752700-1371409011_thumb.jpg

Lucky man!

It's great that you have more space. Most plans are compromised to fit the space available so you are now in a position to build Ricey's original plan - but with more space. The temptation to fit more in is usually worth resisting!

Ian

Neil, Brian and Ian....its taken a long time to get to this, I can tell you!

Neil,  exactly what went through my mind...ha ha ha   thinking how I could fit in the Quad junction on one long side, two big bridges down each short leg and finnish off with Gatehead works and shed along the bottom! 

Buuuuuut I think common sense will prevail and the original Rice plan with a few tweaks will be the way forward.

Besides it would be cheaper in track alone, think of all those diamond/slips at either end.

The room still needs painting so there is still along way too go before wood is turned into sawdust.

Many thanks for your encouragement.

Pete

Just thought I would post a couple more pics of my room as it stands now.. First coat of paint is on and ready for second.  The difference in colours is just that I was using up what paint I had left from 'other' work.

post-2207-0-39456800-1371756546_thumb.jpg

The light at the end is from a door/window which doubles as a fire escape.  Plenty of light as well.

post-2207-0-66307100-1371756586_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-63315000-1371756631_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-05723300-1371756664_thumb.jpg

post-2207-0-65886600-1371756699_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well 8 months on...my room is finished and painted. I bought the first batch of wood just after Christmas. I made a start on the first part of the fiddle yard boards yesterday. It went well unroll I found that despite taking as much care as I thought, I managed to cut three legs too short. So will have to start again with them. I have pictures but my computer is up the spout at the moment, so I am using my Kindle to post this. Feels good to be getting on with it again. Will continue to keep you up to date. 

PETE.

Archived