Horsted Keynes - a set of 0 Gauge signals

• RMweb Gold

Moving on to the other end of the station for the remaining two signals:

The first is the three doll R.H. Bracket, seen here in these prototype photos taken a nonth or two ago.

post-3984-0-22132500-1329584733_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-46776700-1329577410_thumb.jpg

Here are a few shots of the model I've made:

During construction

post-3984-0-54197900-1329585020_thumb.jpg

and after painting

post-3984-0-19195900-1329585171_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-27901000-1329585285_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid this video clip is a bit fuzzy

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Here's the second signal at this end of the station, and the final one for me to build.

It's a balanced bracket with almost equal height dolls, as in this recent prototype photo:

post-3984-0-01323500-1329949359_thumb.jpg

Here's the model of it:

post-3984-0-52945900-1329949596_thumb.jpg

Some detail of the upper bits:

post-3984-0-81766700-1329949641_thumb.jpg

And the wire guide "wheels"

post-3984-0-82189800-1329949618_thumb.jpg

Another of my Low Definition video clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alluO59HJCc

Finally I took a shot of the whole batch just before packing them for delivery:

post-3984-0-29595900-1329950032_thumb.jpg

I hope to post some shots of the signals in place on the layout soon.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Nice!

Just one thing though, I notice all the signals for the north end of Horsted Keynes have signal machines attached to them. While this correct to prototype at the moment, the plan is for the one shown on the right of your photo (single post) and the one in the middle (left hand bracket, level dolls) to go back to being wire worked from the box once the re-signalling is eventually completed.

post-658-0-83105500-1329959258_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Nice!

Just one thing though, I notice all the signals for the north end of Horsted Keynes have signal machines attached to them. While this correct to prototype at the moment, the plan is for the one shown on the right of your photo (single post) and the one in the middle (left hand bracket, level dolls) to go back to being wire worked from the box once the re-signalling is eventually completed.

Thanks for the info.

I queried this with the layout builder, who asked me to work to the photos he provided.

Nice diagram!

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Nice diagram!

Certainly is! I do wonder whether this pic (and/or others like it) should be made prominent in a signalling principles etc thread. We often get diagrams of station etc layouts, with signals, but here is the real thing, live and in use at HK with a couple of TCs occupied, and representing the diagram in thousands of UK manual 'boxes, an environment which I suspect the majority of RMWebbers have never had the chance to visit.

• RMweb Gold

Finally, here are some shots taken by Peter Smith who has built the layout:

First an overview of Horsted Keynes station:

post-3984-0-64385400-1330260809_thumb.jpg

and here are the signals in situ:

post-3984-0-25655400-1330260381_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-83875300-1330260777_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-79863000-1330263696_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much to all of you for your comments on what has been a very interesting project for me.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
Over the years a load of cobblers has been uttered in modelling circles about bounce and I think it's not unreasonable to say that it has been grossly over-exaggerrated because a properly adjusted signal arm returned to danger in the correct way will not bounce (and the Signalman would get a rollicking from any Linesman who saw it happen).

Hi Mike,

Watch the Down Inner Home and Up Starter signals at Worcester Shrub Hill bouncing both ways (from about 3 minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1t-cSJNedw

From this excellent site: http://www.roscalen....r/ShrubHill.htm

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Watch the Down Inner Home and Up Starter signals at Worcester Shrub Hill bouncing both ways (from about 3 minutes in)

From this excellent site: http://www.roscalen....r/ShrubHill.htm

regards,

Martin.

Lots of badly adjusted signals there Martin - and not being worked correctly either - levers are being thrown across the 'frame to get signals to do that (I noticed on the Inner Home that even the balance weight lever is bouncing - definitely something wrong there, leaves me wondering if the Worcester Techs I knew have retired or moved on as they were a pair who were not happy to see signals worked like that. But definitely some bouncing - fings ain't what they used to be.

The Roscalen site is indeed an excellent one and well worth a look although saying the Home Signal is exempt from Rule 39a (as it once was) because of the lower arm distant is not entirely correct - you don't need a lower arm distant to exempt a stop signal from that Rule, the decision depends on various other factors.

Lots of badly adjusted signals there Martin - and not being worked correctly either - levers are being thrown across the 'frame to get signals to do that (I noticed on the Inner Home that even the balance weight lever is bouncing - definitely something wrong there, leaves me wondering if the Worcester Techs I knew have retired or moved on as they were a pair who were not happy to see signals worked like that. But definitely some bouncing - fings ain't what they used to be.

The Roscalen site is indeed an excellent one and well worth a look although saying the Home Signal is exempt from Rule 39a (as it once was) because of the lower arm distant is not entirely correct - you don't need a lower arm distant to exempt a stop signal from that Rule, the decision depends on various other factors.

March East Junction 47 signal was exempt from rule 39a right up to when it was abolished a few years ago..

post-4034-0-08467800-1330542497_thumb.jpg

Levercrashers are a pet hate of mine. As head of S&T on one heritage railway i do make a fuss about it and that probably makes me unpopular <g>. Anything i set up on the big railway is left so it can pulled and replaced without resorting to extremes of physical exertion or acrobatics. (footprints on adjacent lever plates)

Archived