Horsted Keynes - a set of 0 Gauge signals

• RMweb Gold

I've recently been building a set of signals for a friend who is making a model of Horsted Keynes on the Bluebell Railway.

I'm not particularly familiar with the prototype, but he's provoded excellent photographs, and I do have Pryers book to refer to...............

The first one I've tackled is the small platform starter seen here in this photo:

post-3984-0-66084600-1328633220_thumb.jpg

This is my model, seen from a similar viewpoint:

post-3984-0-29866200-1328633564_thumb.jpg

The specification included servo motor drive, controlled by GF Controls servo controllers and lamps lit with internal Grain of Rice lamps.

This small video clip gives an idea of the result:

This first signal was based on the kit from Scale Signal Supply, but with some individual components from my own sources and some Model Signal Engineering items.

More to follow later.

Steve.

Steve, is the model of Horsted Keynes as it is now or in the past (pre-preservation)?

I've got some detail photos of the 'new' bracket at the south end around the time it was being installed if they're of use.

• RMweb Gold

Steve, is the model of Horsted Keynes as it is now or in the past (pre-preservation)?

I've got some detail photos of the 'new' bracket at the south end around the time it was being installed if they're of use.

Hi Rod,

As I understand it, the model is in the present. I certainly used the recent photos as the basis for my models.

Any photos you can copy to me will be gratefully received, although I have now completed the project.

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve

Here you go - the first two are photos of prints (pre-digital) showing the part-constructed 3-doll bracket at the south end of HK; the remainder are more recent and should be very familiar!

post-6669-0-23889600-1328716010.jpg

post-6669-0-79338000-1328716011.jpg

post-6669-0-55963900-1328716013.jpg

post-6669-0-37649800-1328716015.jpg

post-6669-0-95311700-1328716016.jpg

post-6669-0-52034200-1328716018.jpg

post-6669-0-04467900-1328716020.jpg

post-6669-0-89444000-1328716021.jpg

post-6669-0-25055400-1328716024.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Rod,

Thanks very much for those pictures.

I wish I'd started this topic much earlier, and then I might have had sight of them before I built the models!

I'll post pictures of the signals I've built as soon as I can.

regards,

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

The specification included servo motor drive, controlled by GF Controls servo controllers and lamps lit with internal Grain of Rice lamps.

This small video clip gives an idea of the result:

Lovely model, my only comment would be that (at least on the LM ones I've seen) there was no appreciable bounce on motor worked semaphores returning to danger, but that's just me being a pain in the pedantic me.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely model, my only comment would be that (at least on the LM ones I've seen) there was no appreciable bounce on motor worked semaphores returning to danger, but that's just me being a pain in the pedantic me.

Same here - definitely no bounce on the Western ones - but they were of course linked to the arm by a substantial down rod so any bounce in the arm would transmit to the backing machine ('backing machine' = Reading Works description of what we call a 'signal motor'. The works in Caversham Road had a test stand for backing machines which was used to ensure they were correctly adjusted before being sent out to site or local stores including ensuring that there was no 'play' in the drive crank).

• RMweb Gold

Same here - definitely no bounce on the Western ones - but they were of course linked to the arm by a substantial down rod so any bounce in the arm would transmit to the backing machine ('backing machine' = Reading Works description of what we call a 'signal motor'. The works in Caversham Road had a test stand for backing machines which was used to ensure they were correctly adjusted before being sent out to site or local stores including ensuring that there was no 'play' in the drive crank).

Hi Guys,

I agree with your comments about the "no bounce with motor drives", but the layout owner wishes it to be there!

For interest, the GF Controls servo controllers actually have switchable bounce as a standard feature, and here is a short clip of the same signal with the bounce switched off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trgAiSM_pAc

This of course makes them suitable for servo driven points as well as signals.

Steve.

I have two styles of signal motor in use on my trainset. I have one Westinghouse E2 like the one in your movie and two versions of the BPRS type. I can post a video of the Westinghouse motor if it of interested. Yours needs a bit of 'hiss' from the dashpot...<g>

• RMweb Gold

Ok, only on a preserved line but in all my years on the MHR I've never seen a signal bounce when being returned to caution or danger.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, only on a preserved line but in all my years on the MHR I've never seen a signal bounce when being returned to caution or danger.

If your Signalmen are any good you won't Phil. Over the years a load of cobblers has been uttered in modelling circles about bounce and I think it's not unreasonable to say that it has been grossly over-exaggerrated because a properly adjusted signal arm returned to danger in the correct way will not bounce (and the Signalman would get a rollicking from any Linesman who saw it happen).

That isn't to say signal arms don't bounce because it can happen and signal posts can sway - but to get bounce you have to really throw the lever across the 'frame, and that is not how the job should be done (although sometimes it is what a badly adjusted signal may require).

• RMweb Gold

I have two styles of signal motor in use on my trainset. I have one Westinghouse E2 like the one in your movie and two versions of the BPRS type. I can post a video of the Westinghouse motor if it of interested. Yours needs a bit of 'hiss' from the dashpot...<g>

Yes, please.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

because a properly adjusted signal arm returned to danger in the correct way will not bounce (and the Signalman would get a rollicking from any Linesman who saw it happen).

Thank goodness the lineman never caught me trying for the record bounces on Hooton (South) down inner homes ! :nono: :) - I think something like 22 bounces was the record, although the lever was not thrown back into the frame, it was pushed fast to just before the stop position, and then allowed to sit down gently, I certainly wasn't going to crack a lever or it's tail - but these were wire worked signals, and the bounciest in the area.

Yes, please.

Steve.

Funnily enough i've spent the morning in Rutland with Peter Stevenson working right next to a Westinghouse motor operated distant and discussing your signal when we've had odd moments. I'll post a quick movie of my signal fairly soon..

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the interest shown in my signal, and the helpful comments made. Much appreciated.

Moving round the Horsted Keynes site in an anti-clockwise direction, the next signal is the two doll left hand bracket, with taller right hand doll:

post-3984-0-03125100-1328976314_thumb.jpg

Here's a view of the model:

post-3984-0-13284100-1328975592_thumb.jpg

And a closer view of the upper bits:

post-3984-0-06523500-1328975683_thumb.jpg

I think I have a video clip somewhere but I can't lay my hands on it at present.

Steve.

Super models. Inspirational. I reckon the Bluebell must have secured just about every Westinghouse signal motor available for Horstead Keynes. From seeing the models alone i would have recognized they were modelled on the originals at Horstead Keynes.

That hiss is similar to that which I hear on the London Underground every time a signal goes to red during the passage of a train.

I can't lay my hand on my Westinghouse signal motor book of words but i seem to recall it did include train stops. I'll have a search for it over the next few days.

That hiss is similar to that which I hear on the London Underground every time a signal goes to red during the passage of a train.

I can't lay my hand on my Westinghouse signal motor book of words but i seem to recall it did include train stops.

The Westinghouse instructional pamphlet on style E signal machines won't refer to Train Stops (I've just looked at my copy :no: ).

They both, however, make use of compressed air but in different applications. The signal machine is air damped (as previously noted) whereas the Train Stops used on the London Underground employ high pressure compressed air to drive the trip arm down.

All Steve requires now is a few sound decoders... :)

The Westinghouse instructional pamphlet on style E signal machines won't refer to Train Stops (I've just looked at my copy :no: ).

They both, however, make use of compressed air but in different applications. The signal machine is air damped (as previously noted) whereas the Train Stops used on the London Underground employ high pressure compressed air to drive the trip arm down.

All Steve requires now is a few sound decoders... :)

Mine clearly is older then... WB&SSCo. Pretty unlikely there are any of these left?

post-4034-0-27165800-1329260665_thumb.jpg

post-4034-0-54943700-1329260882_thumb.jpg

:offtopic:

Mine clearly is older then... WB&SSCo.

Definitely.. :good:

Pretty unlikely there are any of these left?

Of the C type I would have thought so as well. You can see an electric train stop here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29574-the-widened-lines/

Anyway it's been an interesting quick chat and I think it's best to hand the thread back to Steve and his impressive signals.

Archived