Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

I seem to recall the Strathwood Class 40 book has a picture of D200 ex works in Blue. I'll try root it out and see if it's dated.

Cheers.

Sean.

Janes Rail Portfolio 1 The 40s page 62 has a picture of 200 ex-works at Crewe on 10 May 1970.

Edit-

Its the same photo linked to earlier but am leaving this post up so you know where the photo was published.

Edited by royaloak

Mine is doing exactly the same - stops on points around 50% of the time...

John

I'll think the new design of pick ups via the grooves in the brass axle bushes is causing intermittent contact etc. Contact now has to made from the wheel/axle through the brass bush and finally via the pick up strip located in the brass bush groove.  Keeping the 2 main contact areas clean will be virtually impossible.  Although it has 6 axle drive, only 8 wheels have pick ups, unlike a 37 etc which has 12.

Fitting new wiper pick ups to all 12 driven wheels (a la 37 etc) should make a big improvement, and it will also be much easier to keep them clean etc.

Edited by tractor_37260

I'll think the new design of pick ups via the grooves in the brass axle bushes is causing intermittent contact etc. Contact now has to made from the wheel/axle through the brass bush and finally via the pick up strip located in the brass bush groove.  Keeping the 2 main contact areas clean will be virtually impossible.  Although it has 6 axle drive, only 8 wheels have pick ups, unlike a 37 etc which has 12.

Fitting new wiper pick ups to all 12 driven wheels (a la 37 etc) should make a big improvement, and it will also be much easier to keep them clean etc.

The twins 10000/10001 have the same pickup arrangement ,and the same problem ( mine anyway ) but I sprayed the bottom of the bogies with servisol contact cleaner and lo and behold ,no stopping and no intermittent sound over points,while it was running , so I let it run in for 20 mins or so as I don't think it's a permanent fix,I just wanted to prove it was the pickups.

Be carefukl with contact cleaner or switch cleaner because it makes a good paint stripper!

Dr Gerbil- those are the sounds of a 50 I remember. The big engine plus the loud roar of the hoover system.

Edited by drgj

Don't suppose there's anyone who could post an image of the bogie top mounted steam pipes or dimensions thereof?. I understand they were different at each end but were the pipes the same on A end and B end bogies or one of each on each bogie, ie was the setup the same under both drivers side cab and therefore secondmans cab was different?  

Edited by GRUNFOS

Got mine this afternoon ran it in for an hour each way on the rolling road then cleaned the wheels as there looked dirty, put it on the track and all lights flickered as I put it on the track.

I then sent it round the layout and it kept on stopping & starting (with all the lights coming on for a split second as it stopped) so cleaned the track (not that any dirt came off0 and same again, I then turned the loco around & had same problem at different places going the other way.

So I took the body off plus the bogies to see if too much grease was dripping onto the contacts, that was cleaned out of excess grease and reassembled. Still the same problem loco stops lights come on for a second and go off as the loco stalls.

Also the same problem happens on my DC loop stops at random places,

Anyone else had this problem?

I just hope there are more to replace my faulty one.

Stu

Picked up my 40 yesterday but when I got home and placed on track no sign of life from the motor although the cab and directional lights are all working correctly! I swopped the chip for a blanking plate and checked on DC. The same results so looks like Monday is take it back and hope there is another one in stock.

Hi

It looks as if it's going to interesting, trying to fit a bass enhanced speaker or any other speaker into that body. The new circuit board doesn't have the same room. And even if you kept the old speaker those springy contacts will make using black tac a non starter. Time for the trusty old soldering iron to make an appearance again.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen. Why do you want to fit a bass enhanced speaker? They have clearly designed it for the 28mm round speaker and as you correctly point out will make sealing the back harder BUT the 28mm makes a heck of a lot more din than the 22 and I will probably leave the wires on the decoder and not trust Bachmann's brass contacts. Speakers on the way from Digitrains,. We use the same one on the Duffs and everyone comments on how good they sound. I would fear that the 'bass;' jobs will muffle the whistle too much. Sound fitted one will need reblown anyway I guess too as Bryan's is miles better than the SWD one. My Lenz kit has packed up so nothing happening here at the moment!!  Si

• RMweb Gold

Pricing on sound versions seems to have gone off the rails

Sound fitted locos used  to carry a premium of just under the cost of fitting a ready blown chip but now....

Non sound version - £114

Sound version - £244

Difference - £130

Cost of ready blown sound chip from Howes - £117

Cost of unblown chips from SWD - £87, cost of adding sound to that £15 = £102

Reckon the sound version is somewhat over priced?

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, so decided to make a start on adding extra pick-ups to the new 40.  It was a bit tricky to solder the PB strip and also keep it in alignment - but I got there in the end. Even with just one bogie done, it makes a big difference in running quality- no flickering lights at all, or hesitation/stalling etc.  No scope now for bad pick-up using the (poor) originals + 12 new ones !

HTH

Ken

post-2215-0-64023500-1390157655.jpg

post-2215-0-29471100-1390157669.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 2

Don't suppose there's anyone who could post an image of the bogie pipes prior to being  fitted to thier models or dimensions. I understand they were different at each end but were the pipes the same on A end and B end bogies or one of each on each bogie, ie was the setup the same under both drivers side cab and therefore secondmans cab was different?  

Are you perhaps referring to the thick bogie side mounted pipes (steam ??) that on a model help to hide the gap between the nose and bogies. 

Are you perhaps referring to the thick bogie side mounted pipes (steam ??) that on a model help to hide the gap between the nose and bogies. 

There the ones I was trying to explain. Didn't a very good job though, was the end of a very long day!

Seems crazy to need to......

Hi Simon

The poor design of the originals resulting in intermittent pick up with the resulting flickering lights/stalling/bad slow speed running etc as many have already discovered, make this a very worthwhile mod. The standard pick-up arrangement on this model is, as far as I'm concerned a backward step, the design etc and also that it only picks up on 8 wheels, and over time will be very prone to poor contact in the vital areas, and as for cleaning "a  nightmare"

Yes crazy maybe. but the results speak for themselves.

Cheers

Ken

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Nice mod there mate, but why should you have to do that and why could n't Bachmann have made the middle wheel a pick up wheel also?

I rang Hattons about mine on Saturday and was told none left and not getting anymore and was advised to contact Bachmann.

As I would not be able to carry out that mod I've got no choice if I want to keep it, I'm going to strip it down again and clean those contacts with a fibre pencil seem to work on my class 85 & CEP as the same problem was starting to effect them.

Hi Simon

The poor design of the originals resulting in intermittent pick up with the resulting flickering lights/stalling/bad slow speed running etc as many have already discovered, make this a very worthwhile mod. The standard pick-up arrangement on this model is, as far as I'm concerned a backward step, the design etc and also that it only picks up on 8 wheels, and over time will be very prone to poor contact in the vital areas, and as for cleaning "a  nightmare"

Yes crazy maybe. but the results speak for themselves.

Cheers

Ken

Ken. Not a jibe at you at all mate. Meant that it seems crazy that we need to go to these sort of legths with brand new RtR stock?! Think this would happen with German or American stuff?...... err no

Ken. Not a jibe at you at all mate. Meant that it seems crazy that we need to go to these sort of legths with brand new RtR stock?! Think this would happen with German or American stuff?...... err no

No problem Simon - not taken as a jibe at all -  Trust Botchmann - if it's NOT broken and it works - let's just fix it anyway ( ie revise it for the worse) !  More importantly, lets hope they do not roll out this revision on forthcoming models  :nono:

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon, so decided to make a start on adding extra pick-ups to the new 40.  It was a bit tricky to solder the PB strip and also keep it in alignment - but I got there in the end. Even with just one bogie done, it makes a big difference in running quality- no flickering lights at all, or hesitation/stalling etc.  No scope now for bad pick-up using the (poor) originals + 12 new ones !

HTH

Ken

Thanks. Any chance of a photo of the PB alone before you attach it to the other bogie please?

There the ones I was trying to explain. Didn't a very good job though, was the end of a very long day!

These pipes were not supplied with the new 40 model - fitted or otherwise. Only rad frost shields and an optional "plug" for the boiler exhaust port came as extras. Bogie mounted steam pipes could be made up from mains T&E cable (the solid copper core part) - around 1.75/2mm should be suitable.

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

Got mine this afternoon ran it in for an hour each way on the rolling road then cleaned the wheels as there looked dirty, put it on the track and all lights flickered as I put it on the track.

I then sent it round the layout and it kept on stopping & starting (with all the lights coming on for a split second as it stopped) so cleaned the track (not that any dirt came off0 and same again, I then turned the loco around & had same problem at different places going the other way.

So I took the body off plus the bogies to see if too much grease was dripping onto the contacts, that was cleaned out of excess grease and reassembled. Still the same problem loco stops lights come on for a second and go off as the loco stalls.

Also the same problem happens on my DC loop stops at random places,

Anyone else had this problem?

I just hope there are more to replace my faulty one.

Stu

Straight out the box mine doing more less the same except when it stopped on points it briefly started to go the other way of it's own accord ?

LJC