RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Ah OK so you ran it on DC with the chip fitted. I always run a new loco in on DC with the chip removed and the blanking (DC) plug fitted - sound or otherwise. Only once I'm happy with it's DC running etc, will I fit a decoder of any type. 

No decoder will help a poor running loco on DC, run any better on DCC  - sort the basics first - then any decoder chosen will have the best chance of working as intended.

This loco is supplied with a factory fitted chip, I didn't fit it and I wasn't going to remove it before trying it out in case it had to go back to the shop.

Edited by giz

Apropos to all this, I removed the dcc chip and replaced it with the blanking plug, and stuck it on the rolling road. It runs sweet as anything, so that's a major relief. At some point I'll put the dcc chip back in and take it for a spin on a friend's layout.

RWJ

• Like 1

Well...I bought one and it arrived less than 24 hours later in a lovely big box from Hattons...truly excellent service I must say considering I only paid the basic RM/Yodel fee.

But... It don't work properly!

Sat it on my test track and marvelled at the general 40-ish of it before applying power which caused the lights to come on and a very brief surge forward before stopping.

Trying things like the hand of God and dragging it up and down with a Hornby 60 had no regenerative effect either.

It looks as though a spot of tinkering is required...the new pick up arrangement being not Bachmann's finest idea methinks?

Trying things like the hand of God and dragging it up and down with a Hornby 60 had no regenerative effect either.

Pah, for added realism, you should've dragged it with two class 25 locos. See the rat vs whistler "wars" in the early 80s and things like "Rat Poison" and "Anti Forty Times"

magazines.

RWJ

Edited by the-gog

Well...I bought one and it arrived less than 24 hours later in a lovely big box from Hattons...truly excellent service I must say considering I only paid the basic RM/Yodel fee.

But... It don't work properly!

Sat it on my test track and marvelled at the general 40-ish of it before applying power which caused the lights to come on and a very brief surge forward before stopping.

It looks as though a spot of tinkering is required...the new pick up arrangement being not Bachmann's finest idea methinks?

sorry to hear this.

another lemon then............

oh wait a minute......some have bought dcc fitted, some with dcc sound.

if you are testing it on dc then remove the decoder and fit the blanking plate and try it, then if its OK put the decoder in and try it on DCC.

THEN if you still have no luck can it be called a lemon :)

I take the point Tractor, but how official is official?  The only place I've seen it is on RMweb and I think that was because Andy asked the question of Bachmann directly. I haven't seen it in any other forums or in any magazines, so have they, in fact, only communicated to RMweb? For me this was a nice to have, but I think on reflection I could do without the hassle. I'll wait till issues get sorted

I'm surprised at the link to the Class 85. I've got one and it ran perfectly straight from the box, as indeed have most Bachmann locos , diesel steam and electric alike!

If I've officially credited Bachmann it can be taken as an an official communication; the communication was with RMweb as that's where it was being most discussed. I know Barwell have some extra staff in at the moment working through all of the stock before despatch so they're committed to resolving the issue.

• Like 1

im surprised by the class 85 links too. 

i've had 4 (3 x BR Blue 85026 versions and an early twin pan version but all have the same chassis) and they all worked perfectly as soon as i put them on the track.

i'm down to two now but dont want to remove the bodyshells for a look at the contacts in question.  some reckon its the same set up as the class 40 - cant say i noticed but then again when they run right you wouldnt give them a second look.

Right,

I've had some time to work on my 40 141.

It was running terribly, even when I cleaned every piece of track, which I'm not too hot on doing but don't seem to have problems.

I was worried that I would have to solder wires from the pickups to the pcb. I wanted to see first if a clean up would help first.

I removed both bogies and dropped the front and rear wheelsets out of each, as they're the pick-up wheels.

I cleaned the surrounding area, axles and pickups with contact cleaner and cotton buds. Huge amount of grease on the axles, bearings and pickups.

I then lubricated the axle bearings and gear with electro-lube.

It has performed without fault for an hour or so...really nice.

I was concerned that the "new" design of the pickups just wiping contacts on the pcb was an issue too but there haven't been any signs that it's a problem.

I was previously quite critical of Bachmann's "new" design of pickups but, it does seem in this case that most issues are centred on the over-greasing from the factory.

Jim

The Bachmann rep at Glasgow told me that the problem is with non conductive grease as per advice on here previously and that Bachmann are working through each of 3000 models in warehouse cleaning out and replacing grease before releasing next batch. Apparently takes 20 mins per loco and 1500 done so far. Late March is think he said was their best estimate. Not 100% sure he was referring to sound versions but whatever next batch is...

I did post on the 19th Feb to give an update.

Thanks Andy for the info.

However I was informed on Saturday by a reputable model shop that they had been informed by Bachmann that they were down to the last few ( however many that is )to be checked of the sound version, so it may not be long before we hear D211.

D369 may well then be checked before release.

Could this be Bachmann's worst ever public relations flop? After what must be the longest wait ever for its release they've produced a model that takes us back to the dark ages. Am I pleased I didn't sell off my old reliable original class 40's for new ones that based on what's been written here  would be guaranteed not to work.

What I find hard to understand is why Bachmann don't seem to test their models before releasing them, I think of the automobile market here and the amount of time they spend on extensive road testing before releasing them. Just imagine if Ford released its Fiesta in the way Bachmann have done with the class 40. Come on Bachmann wake up, we deserve better. 

Ian

• RMweb Premium

It would be interesting to know what has caused the grease to behave in this way, not least in case how we store our models could re-create the same problems later. These Class 40s were announced as imminent earlier last year but were then further delayed, so perhaps the chassis and motors were completed and had to be stored awaiting the bodies or something and the conditions they were stored in weren't ideal. Since there are other previous models using the same pickup arrangements that work perfectly well, it seems strange that the 40s should have these problems unless some unknown factor has affected them.

Could this be Bachmann's worst ever public relations flop? After what must be the longest wait ever for its release they've produced a model that takes us back to the dark ages. Am I pleased I didn't sell off my old reliable original class 40's for new ones that based on what's been written here  would be guaranteed not to work.

What I find hard to understand is why Bachmann don't seem to test their models before releasing them, I think of the automobile market here and the amount of time they spend on extensive road testing before releasing them. Just imagine if Ford released its Fiesta in the way Bachmann have done with the class 40. Come on Bachmann wake up, we deserve better. 

Ian

Is it such a bad PR flop? They've acknowledged that there's a problem and are doing something about it. There are plenty of cases where companies (mentioning no names) flatly refuse to even admit there's a problem. It's not an insurmountable problem to rectify, either by doing it yourself or by returning it to Bachmann or the retailer. There are plenty of examples of cars that have been recalled with unforeseen problems over the years too.

Yes, it's disappointing after waiting so long, but not exactly the end of the world as we know it. I'll be keeping mine and maybe modifying the pickups if necessary.

Ian

A very good and valid point and just imagine if this was a household item the press would have had a field day. Luckily for Bachmann dare I say its about "Boys and their Toys" so highly unlikely any newspaper would editor would be interested. I'm not surprised at all that many on here were so desperate to obtain and retain one of the new 40's they were prepared to dismantle the model in order to get it to run as it should have done directly out of the box. This has to be one of the only sectors where this happens.

Can you imagine doing the same with a new Kettle, Tablet, Phone or Radio. The wait for an improved and more accurate Class 40 has been overly long and Bachmann should have had a QC system in place which would have alerted them to a problem with this model long before it hit the dealers shelves  and this from a supposed premier company that should know better.

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Some sense of proportion please, a faulty fiesta might kill someone, a dud Class 40 probably won't

I've actually bought 2 which are at the moment in out of the box condition with factory fitted decoders in place and untweaked. They actually work satisfactorily on a fairly simple layout (my son's, which doubles as the test track...). I may have been lucky but I wanted to flag it here just in case the impression was that they were all duds, on first use at least.