The End of The Line 0-14 and 0 GOES ON..........

Giles

• RMweb Premium

Warley was a very enjoyable show but as I was operating Clarendon I didn't really get time to do it justice.  I did get a chance to give my newly operational RC lorry a trial around the End of the Line and of course I got to take the layout home at the end of the exhibition.

The layout is now installed in my local club's premises while i make it ready for the Sodbury Vale MRC's show in Yate on 31 January 2015.

Here are a few piccies with some of my stock and my RC lorry.

post-7686-0-91272900-1416960018_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-46243700-1416960031_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-14315100-1416960040_thumb.jpg

While having lunch on Sunday at Warley I was pondering what to do about a new nameboard for The End of the Line.

Giles had a station totem style board which he was keeping as a memento of the layout.  It had an Eastern Region blue background.  Now there isn't anything really to tie the layout to any particular region or location.  My personal preference for a minor coal mine distribution point would be in the Forest of Dean or on the North Somerset coalfield so I was leaning Western or Southern.  The trader who does 'Totems while you wait' was at Warley so I was walking over to them to see if they did anything else and I happened to pass Grainge & Hodder Ltd.

They had a range of various items on their stand that had been laser or photo etched including a wooden replica of the cast PLEASE SHUT THE GATE plate, an iconic railway sign in itself.  Just the job, I'll take one of those please....

Now Alan from G&H is a regular at the monthly M5-M50 Narrow Gauge Modellers meet at Twyning.  Last night he handed me a package with a backboard and a set of laser cut plywood letters.  I certainly appreciated the next day service!

post-7686-0-00517700-1416960688_thumb.jpg

The outline of the letters is lightly etched into the backboard of the sign so it only took a few minutes to accurately position and glue the letters on.  I used Delux Materials Glue and Glaze, its like PVA but it sets quite quickly and I find Iots of uses for it.

Here is the completed board which I'll paint later in the week. 

post-7686-0-59449200-1416960063_thumb.jpg

Once its painted, I'll add some wire hooks and mount it somehow on the top of the layout's backscene.

At £25, it worked out a little cheaper than a totem too. [usual disclaimer -  no connection with Grainge & Hodder Ltd, just a satisfied customer]

I've got lots to do over the next few weeks/months with developing the road and rail traction for the layout and there is nothing like an exhibition deadline to fire the modelling mojo.....

The layout is now installed in my local club's premises while i make it ready for the Sodbury Vale MRC's show in Yate on 31 January 2015.

Better put that one in the calendar then- very happy that this has ended up down this part of the world, and will be going "on tour". Look forward to seeing it (and having a closer look at your Fowler and 88DS as well :yes: ).

Giles, can't stop watching your End of the Line vids and 'How to' threads! Absolutely brilliant, as everyone who has seen them has confirmed. I know it's gone to anew home(how could you?)' but how long did it take you to build those road vehicles and what sort of weight were they when finished? They moved with such gravitas, if that's the right word. Anyhow thanks again. I think I'll give up modelling now!

Les J

• RMweb Premium

I managed a quick peek through the throng and was glad I'd had chance to see it a couple of times already. Glad it's still doing the rounds with Tim and looking forward to the next one with crane :)

Whoa, when I glanced at this message, I read it as "a quick peek through the thong"  

Are you sure you were at the right show Paul ??

• RMweb Premium

Giles, can't stop watching your End of the Line vids and 'How to' threads! Absolutely brilliant, as everyone who has seen them has confirmed. I know it's gone to anew home(how could you?)' but how long did it take you to build those road vehicles and what sort of weight were they when finished? They moved with such gravitas, if that's the right word. Anyhow thanks again. I think I'll give up modelling now!

Les J

Les

The lorries require no further weight after they have been converted as the original die-cast model has sufficient mass.  My Ford Thames, which is the same spec as Giles' weighs in at 190g (unladen).  I was demonstrating it today at the Thronbury Show and someone asked if a load makes much difference, we had a failed chassis off a Bachmann Pannier on the table (much heavier than a load of coal) and I put that in the back and it made no impact on the performance of the lorry.  Even with just a 3.7V battery you can't stall the output shaft of those 6V torque motor gearboxes by hand.  There are various output shaft rpms available in the range, I use the 6V 60rpm ones, I think Giles uses the 6V 100rpm ones (his lorries certainly go faster than mine), at 3.7V you are getting about 60% of that at max speed. The bevel gears are 1:1 on the rear axle.  That combined with the high quality of the motor control circuit in the Deltang receiver gives you the smooth drive.  The three point suspension also means that the vehicle naturally flows over the contours of the road on the layout adding to the realism.

I'm 3/4 through my second lorry, a Morris Commercial, like Giles' blue one. I don't think that there is much more than say 30 hours of modelling time in converting one including painting. However, I had no previous knowledge or experience of RC and I've have spent a considerable time, weeks if not months of odd free time learning and thinking about at the various aspects and options in undertaking the conversion.  Giles did a comprehensive write up of his RC lorries in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review Issue 94.  The only refinements to what he has done is that I've used a homemade motor mount and as I was struggling with access to a precision drill press I resorted to 3D printing some steering blocks in stainless steel (my design, printed by Shapeways) as its critical that you get the steering pivot as close to the wheel as possible (see piccies below). 

post-7686-0-63469700-1417292790_thumb.jpg

post-7686-0-74761400-1417292863_thumb.jpg

Shapeways can print in steel/stainless steel but for brass they effectively use a lost wax process and my design was not suitable for casting - it could be amended but it cost about Euro8 for the printed s/steel and the brass castings were Euro15 so its not worth making the necessary changes.

Once you have progressed along the learning curve and worked out what needs to be done and how best to do it then its relatively straight forward to replicate.

If you can tackle an etched brass kit then you should be able to convert a die-cast model into a RC vehicle.

Hi Les,

I'm so sorry to have missed your post - I don't mean to be rude!

Tim has said it all.... And I agree in every particular. Small correction though - I use 100:1 ratio gearmotors, not 100rpm....

The lorries are actually quite fun to make - although they require a slightly different mind-set to a loco, it is no more difficult ( the big difficulty was initially discovering what suitable hardware was available - but we've sorted that now...).

I really like the printed steering blocks - they're excellent.

In selling the layout, it was MOST important to Di and I that it went to the best possible home - and we think it has.

• RMweb Gold

Whoa, when I glanced at this message, I read it as "a quick peek through the thong"

Are you sure you were at the right show Paul ??

All in the mind Dave, mind you that sounds a bit like the description Jason (Rapido) made about Comicon so it seems like we might have been at the wrong show! Oh dear now I've sunk to the same level ;)

Back to the class act of End of the Line :)

You'll soon have a 3D printed kit for lorry conversions!

Les

The lorries require no further weight after they have been converted as the original die-cast model has sufficient mass.  My Ford Thames, which is the same spec as Giles' weighs in at 190g (unladen).  I was demonstrating it today at the Thronbury Show and someone asked if a load makes much difference, we had a failed chassis off a Bachmann Pannier on the table (much heavier than a load of coal) and I put that in the back and it made no impact on the performance of the lorry.  Even with just a 3.7V battery you can't stall the output shaft of those 6V torque motor gearboxes by hand.  There are various output shaft rpms available in the range, I use the 6V 60rpm ones, I think Giles uses the 6V 100rpm ones (his lorries certainly go faster than mine), at 3.7V you are getting about 60% of that at max speed. The bevel gears are 1:1 on the rear axle.  That combined with the high quality of the motor control circuit in the Deltang receiver gives you the smooth drive.  The three point suspension also means that the vehicle naturally flows over the contours of the road on the layout adding to the realism.

I'm 3/4 through my second lorry, a Morris Commercial, like Giles' blue one. I don't think that there is much more than say 30 hours of modelling time in converting one including painting. However, I had no previous knowledge or experience of RC and I've have spent a considerable time, weeks if not months of odd free time learning and thinking about at the various aspects and options in undertaking the conversion.  Giles did a comprehensive write up of his RC lorries in Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review Issue 94.  The only refinements to what he has done is that I've used a homemade motor mount and as I was struggling with access to a precision drill press I resorted to 3D printing some steering blocks in stainless steel (my design, printed by Shapeways) as its critical that you get the steering pivot as close to the wheel as possible (see piccies below). 

Shapeways can print in steel/stainless steel but for brass they effectively use a lost wax process and my design was not suitable for casting - it could be amended but it cost about Euro8 for the printed s/steel and the brass castings were Euro15 so its not worth making the necessary changes.

Once you have progressed along the learning curve and worked out what needs to be done and how best to do it then its relatively straight forward to replicate.

If you can tackle an etched brass kit then you should be able to convert a die-cast model into a RC vehicle.

Looking good Tim, ive just ordered the radio gear, motor and servo for my Scammell im planning to make. I love seeing what other people have done as theres not much in the UK it seems.

• RMweb Premium

Looking good Tim, ive just ordered the radio gear, motor and servo for my Scammell im planning to make. I love seeing what other people have done as theres not much in the UK it seems.

A Scammell sounds interesting, which model?

I've been looking at the IXO model of the Bedford TJ but I'm not sure there is enough room inside the wheel arch.  However,there are a couple of Morris Commercials to finish before that gets on the bench for a real assessment.

• RMweb Premium

looking at the Langley Models plastic Scammell Highwayman kit do try and build the RC in as i build the model but have some corgi contractors if that plan doesnt work

Very nice!  That'll certainly be impressive.  Good luck with the conversion, keep us posted.

Hi Tim, many thanks for your response. Sorry that I have only just caught up. I'm going to order a copy of the mag, no.94 for starters just to see how really complicated it it! I know my limits! Your stuff looks really good on the layout. I'm just tring to build Arbroath shed out of foam board and timber at the moment so lorries will have to wait, but one of these trundling along the front of the layout would be great.

Cheers Les

• RMweb Premium

Just to confirm that as well as the Yate show on 31 January 2015, The End of the Line will also appear at the Leamington & Warwick MRS show at Stoneleigh Park on 7/8 March 2015 and the Newport Gauge O Guild (NEWGOG) show on 18 April 2015.

Very nice!  That'll certainly be impressive.  Good luck with the conversion, keep us posted.

Well I made a little start at the Scammell, though I am a little rusty at modelling and having hands like shovels isnt helping...

Got the motor/gearbox in:

post-24663-0-38829400-1417914521_thumb.jpg

post-24663-0-99089800-1417914547_thumb.jpg

Mocked the cab up:

post-24663-0-92102000-1417914570_thumb.jpg

Mocked up with trailer:

post-24663-0-36338800-1417914594_thumb.jpg

Mocked up with trailer whilst trying to work out the front axle/steering arrangement:

post-24663-0-23684600-1417914622_thumb.jpg

Hi, it's looking like a very good project! If you're working in 4mm, then here is where you can buy all these useful bits (such as steering axles, very small servos etc... from - at good prices....) sadly they don't do 7mm!http://www.mikromodellbau.de/Shop/artikelauswahl.php?kid=100

All the best,

Giles

Thanks Giles, thats where the micro 4 servo, motor and white plastic front axle came from, the axle is a little bit narrow so i will have to get creative but it looks a good kit, im trying to work out a servo mounting position that will work at the moment but it will fit under the bonnet

My apologies - I missed the axle!!

Incidentally, for anyone who's interested in 7mm, I was at the Reading 7mm show yesterday, where Di noticed that Amberly Services were selling a few of the remaining Goods Yard Models lorries that appeared a couple of years ago - both the Ford Thames and the Austin K (although they had it labelled as a Bedford). Both were selling for £45. I bought a second Austin.

Archived