AVAGO - The Old Sidings

tender

Hi Jamie.

If the wagon/coach has a nem socket I generally use a kadee no. 18 or 19 (mostly 18). If it hasn't then it's' usually a no. 5 plus a bit of fettling and super glue although I've used others if I've seen a relevant post on the net.

Look forward to seeing some of your pics.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2

Cheers Ray

I have used/bought and Peter Fitted No.17 to link the Cl57 Virgin to a Pendolino Front Car... but apart from that, that is the only time I have seen them used...

I take it they all have to have NEM sockets in order to fit KaDee Coupling... is that correct...

Jamie

• Like 1

Cheers Ray

I take it they all have to have NEM sockets in order to fit KaDee Coupling... is that correct...

Jamie

No. Virtually anything can be fitted with a kadee with a bit ingenuity. I've modified a few pre NEM socket rolling stock to take kadee's without too much trouble.

• Like 2

Cool Mate

I might have invest in some then... might get you to watch over me as Peter will tell you, with my capabilities anything can happen.... propapbly connect n-gauge to 0-gaude in one go... lol

Jamie

• Like 1

This is a great little layout. Nice to look at, engaging for the public, and that must be the best use of DCC I have ever seen! Usually DCC means fiddly buttons but that simple panel is a revelation. Of course I'm sure the same could be done with traditional DC and CDU, with diode matrices, capacitors and relays!

• Like 6

Hi Michael.

Many thanks for your kind comments. I will admit DCC could be considered a bit of an overkill for such a simple layout, but this layout, as well as developing my modelling skills (this is my first layout), is a test bed for a much more complex layout utilising the same NCE mini-panel concept.

Been adding a few details to the Metcalfe buldings in the way of gutters, downpipes and ridge tiles piror to it's second exhibiton at Colwyn MRE (nr Llandudno) on the 28/29th.

post-11105-0-08917500-1342561890.jpg

Ray

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The Downpipes look great...

Jamie

And really useful - the pipe between the double doors hides the seam that runs down between the two pieces of wall.

Great to see your comments, Jamie..

Ray is talking about adding some LED lights in the apartments and some street lamps after our discussion on Saturday. Also looking at the possibility of making a lighting unit for the layout for exhibition.

On the side - watched Foxcote Manor in operation at Llangollen yesterday and picked up some more modelling ideas...and the weather, at times, was glorious :sungum:

Polly

• Like 2

And really useful - the pipe between the double doors hides the seam that runs down between the two pieces of wall.

Great to see your comments, Jamie..

Ray is talking about adding some LED lights in the apartments and some street lamps after our discussion on Saturday. Also looking at the possibility of making a lighting unit for the layout for exhibition.

On the side - watched Foxcote Manor in operation at Llangollen yesterday and picked up some more modelling ideas...and the weather, at times, was glorious :sungum:

Polly

Hi Polly

Yes... I see what you mean about the down pipes...

Regarding the LED's, it the only thing I can think of that I would add to the layout... just to add that bit more realisium...

Look forward to seeing Rays next device and box of tricks to match the control box he as made an excellent job of, but then he will probably add it into the exsisting box... so lets watch this space....

No Preasure Ray... When your Ready Matey... LOL...

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I can say I was pleased that Ray & Polly let me have a go at the lastest show it was at, and have to say was so easy at being able to move Up & Down with out any Hicups, the Black Box was so easy to understand even Children were using it under Ray's supervision. Just select the track you want the engine to go and the Red Light Lite up and changed all points so you were all set to just control the engine Left or Right and the Red Button to Stop it... all So So Simple...

Great to see it working Ray and No problems, and use of connections like KaDee Couplings all worked just fine to...

Excellent little layout... Recommended by all to see

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Like 2

Hi Ray & Polly

Good luck with Avago at the show this weekend.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Here's the latest picture complete with new lighting unit (and the barge boards that i forgot to fit to the building)

post-11105-0-05212900-1343414526.jpg

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 5

A few more pictures taken at Colwyn Bay MRE today. Layout received some encouraging comments. The Sentinel performed faultlessly as did the Kadee couplings.

post-11105-0-80148600-1343501066.jpg

post-11105-0-04758500-1343501091.jpg

post-11105-0-00736200-1343501108.jpg

post-11105-0-94052700-1343501118.jpg

Hope some of you can make it tomorrow (Jamie).

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for the comments, this and that of others at the exhibition have given me the encouragement to make a start on a new larger layout. New thread to follow when I've thought of a name.

I was approached by another club regarding exhibiting AVAGO but he forgot to leave his calling card. Hopefully he will make contact 'here' or via Colwyn MRC.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Ray & Poly

When you come round one night I will show you the lead flashing that I have for round roofs etc:- It is real lead very very thin that we used when X. raying with wrap round film. I tend not to use it and instead use Green putty or thin strips of black/grey paper.

See you both

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just picked this up, great concept, beautifully done and great to see youngsters 'pressin' buttons' with no 'DO NOT TOUCH' signs in evidence.

Doug

And not once have we had to request anyone not to touch, either.

Glad you like it, Doug.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

And not once have we had to request anyone not to touch, either.

That a New one, I thought that was an impossible request...

Great Photos of the lighting rig, I take it there is lighting all complete now... Doh!

Look forward to see you both soon, Did you have a good time at Barrow Hill..., I did, and on the ELR the next day, when on all the Deltics running that day, as there were 5, Plus the one at Barrow Hill the Day before, I was just missing the Prototype... Ah Well, can't have everything in life...

Have you been out and about since...?

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really enjoyed Barrow Hill, again. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see all the layouts properly in the shed because of the problem getting round. So, with Avago in mind, I concentrated on the ones I particularly wanted to see. There's still a few bits to do or improve for Llanberis, next year.

We went to Manchester 2012 and had another great day. The layouts were well spaced out but some were so popular it was a come back later situation....but well worth the wait.

Hoping for a few more bookings for Avago, so if you know of anyone looking for a small layout that comes cheap (1 operator plus economical car), put them in touch.

See you soon.

• Like 3