AVAGO - The Old Sidings

tender

Hi

I read that you are using Kadee couplings, How do you find these when shunting also where on the sidings have you placed the magnets?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott, there's only one kadee magnet, it's placed just before the first turnout by the 'Beware of Trains' sign.

I find Kadee's ideal for shunting, their 99.9% reliable if setup correctly and no 'hand of god' required.

If your not familiar with their operation, let me know and I'll try a do a short video for you.

Ray.

Thanks

I have seen them before but I have never used them for shunting, what kadee do you use for wagons? with that magnet placed there it allows you to shunt the trucks ok with out coupling back up?

Scott

Hi Scott, I use a Kadee 18,19 or 20 on the wagons, either straight into the NEM socket or by drilling a hole in the shank and usIng the screw in the case of a Bachmann type coupling.

Once uncoupled over the magnet it won't couple up again as long as you keep pushing the wagon.

Sometimes the metal axel of some wagons causes them to be 'dragged' by the magnet but I overcome this by suitably weighting the wagon or adding a small piece of foam between the axel and under chassis to act as a slight brake.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone in the Mid Wales area this Bank Holiday weekend might like to pop along to the Corris Model Railway Exhibition. This year being held at Y Plas, Machynlleth due to refurbishment at the school in Corris.

AVAGO will be making it's penultimate appearance before being sold, dismantled/broken up in the new year to make way for a new micro layout. Watch this space.

Ray.

Thanks Andy, quite a long weekend, Corris being a three day event.

Here's a few pics.

post-11105-0-07471900-1377546547_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-09889000-1377546570_thumb.jpg

And a few more from an O guage version of the shunting puzzle from Richard and co of Alsager MRS.

post-11105-0-12658100-1377546779_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-87193500-1377546819_thumb.jpg

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

AVAGO is currently appearing at its final exhibition in our possession at the Llanberis Slate Museum this weekend before going on to pastures new. Hopefully the new owner will get as much enjoyment from it as we have had in the last few years.

Ray.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...