AVAGO - The Old Sidings

tender

Hi Ray

The Tunnel Mouth on this Layout, who is it by...? and how high in (mm/cm) is it to the Top of the Roof of the Mouth, it it less or more than .80mm and did you weather it or was it bought like that, is it straight off the shelf purchase, Peco...etc...?

Great work mate, how the electronic coming on and what the lates gadget you are working on...?

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

The Tunnel Mouth on this Layout, who is it by...? and how high in (mm/cm) is it to the Top of the Roof of the Mouth, it it less or more than .80mm and did you weather it or was it bought like that, is it straight off the shelf purchase, Peco...etc...?

Great work mate, how the electronic coming on and what the lates gadget you are working on...?

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

The tunnel is a modified Gaugemaster single track tunnel portal, sprayed with Plasticote Suede then weathered with artists acrylics.

Height from base to the top of the roof of the mouth is 85mm.

Ray is still playing with a High Level chassis for my 14xx.

Polly

pp Ray.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

Someone asked on the Musings Forum about what you could do to help the continuation of the hobby and this really is doing that to a tee. Well done to Ray and Polly for not only coming up with the idea but also putting their hands in their pockets and spending the time to both build it and exhibit it too. More people in the hobby will benefit us all in the long run and this must be inspiring for those thinking about getting involved.

I hope to come and Avago myself sometime as it seems like a bit of a laugh!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All,

Someone asked on the Musings Forum about what you could do to help the continuation of the hobby and this really is doing that to a tee. Well done to Ray and Polly for not only coming up with the idea but also putting their hands in their pockets and spending the time to both build it and exhibit it too. More people in the hobby will benefit us all in the long run and this must be inspiring for those thinking about getting involved.

I hope to come and Avago myself sometime as it seems like a bit of a laugh!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle, sorry for the late response.

Avago will be exhibiting at the Sioe Trenau Bach, Model Railway Show, National Slate Museum, Llanberis 14-17 February.

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/whatson/?event_id=3296

The Show is a good day out with something for all the family including layouts, large and small, demos, trade and cafe and the museum itself.  FREE entry.

If you can't make it, we'd be happy to put Avago in the car and bring it down to Didcot next time we're visiting.

Best wishes for the New Year to all at GWS

Polly & Ray

• Like 2

If you can't make it, we'd be happy to put Avago in the car and bring it down to Didcot next time we're visiting.

Best wishes for the New Year to all at GWS

Polly & Ray

Hi Polly,

Don't worry about the wait - all good things comes to he who does so! The Welsh show is quite a distance for me to travel so I won't be able to make that I am afraid. Be careful about bringing delicate things like Avago to the big shed. Heavy engineering tends to take no model prisoners!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Ray

Looking forward to seeing this layout at Llanberis... are you all ready for it...

I'm visiting family in Wolves at the moment and the snow is really bad... have you had much up by you...?

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Have only just noticed this layout.

Very nice indeed and the method of control is fascinating.

What an excellent idea to use it to entertain youngsters (both young and old).

Hi BoD,

Thanks for the kind comments, we get as much enjoyment seeing others using the layout as we do ourselves especially the children. Although the parents sometimes have problems dragging them away to look at something else.

Hi Jamie,

Avago is always ready to run, it's small enough to sit in our living room so we get a play now and then when there's nothing on the box or testing new stock. Polly's detailed 14xx may make a debut appearance at Llamberis along with some GWR wagons destined for her 'Great West Road' layout.

My new layout 'Camel Quay' will also be coming in it's present 'work in progress' form. I've a load of photos to upload but haven't had time to start a thread as yet as i'm busy working on the layout.

Snow here is not too bad at present with most roads open apart from the odd back roads.

Ray.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ray

Looking forward to seeing this layout at Llanberis... are you all ready for it...

Jamie

Exhibition Day 3 just ended and I'm struggling to keep the eyes open...and another day to go.

It got quite busy at times, today - loads of people in, then the place would empty, then fill up again.  We hazzard a guess that it went in tune with train times on the Llanberis Lake Railway alongside.  :locomotive:

Avago is still entertaining the families but it's not only the little ones who want to try out their shunting skills...

Lots of other stuff going on as well with new activities added this year:

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/whatson/?event_id=3296

If you're coming tomorrow, come and say 'helo' - if you can fight your way through the young shunters - all very friendly and helpful,  :friends:  

Polly  (Ray's having fun on Camel Quay)

PS (edit)  From what I've heard so far, there are quite a few Thomas Railway enthusiasts out there so there's still hope for the hobby of the future.  All we need to do is ween them into other areas as they grow up.  Right, then....

Edited by southern42
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A little update.

I finally got round to building a few platform pieces from Wills SS68 Platform Accessories pack and had a go at painting them.  Not happy with the result.  :scratchhead:

After seeing how well the the blue works on Glen Roy #208, today, I set about re-painting them.

I've not used the same blue, of course.  It's mixed to match the colour of the paintwork on the old brewery buildings.

post-11105-0-08917500-1342561890.jpg

Photos to come when I've finished them.  Not sure whether to coat them in some gloss varnish or not.  I'll see what they look like, first, then what they look like under Avago's lights.

It's all practice at the moment....

Edited by southern42
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Polly

Well its excellent practice then, this little layout is great for any show and it gets the viewers to Avago... and it's the best layout Name around...

Great to have seen it again at the Llanberis show...

Jamie

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here are a couple pics showing the painted platform furniture.

post-14049-0-64860700-1371804530.jpg

All lined up for a photograph...while the acting Stationmaster keeps his eye on the timetable.

post-14049-0-33949500-1371804560.jpeg

A member of the public - with obligatory rucksack - heads for the model railways exhibition and a hard-working volunteer takes a break.

Someone ought to tell the exhibition organiser to get that display board painted, though!  Green?  How unprofessional!  Though to be fair, it has, probably, only just been delivered but the rivet counters are bound to notice!

Jamie, Avago will make its next appearance at the Corris exhibition which, due to refurbishment of the school where the exhibition is usually held, will be at Y Plas Machynlleth.

Polly

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple pics showing the painted platform furniture.

attachicon.gifstation platform web.JPG

All lined up for a photograph...while the acting Stationmaster keeps his eye on the timetable.

Hi Polly,

Looking wonderful as usual.

The two ...erm "gentlemen" seem very taken with the young ladies charms... and the poor lady in yellow appears to have dropped her ticket?

All the best,

Al

• RMweb Premium

Andy. Show details are here on the Corris Railway website.

Passport?  Wouldn't worry about that.  Just smile sweetly at the border...er...collie.  Plenty of them rounding up sheep.  They shouldn't be a problem.  :laugh:

If you're coming, do come and 'ave a go.  We know you love playing trains operating.  :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

If Llandudno is easier to get to, Ray's Camel Quay is having its first outing at Craig Y Don Community Centre, Queens Road.

http://www.colwynmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/index.php/exhibitions

Thanks, Al.

The Lady in Yellow is holding a camera with a long telephoto lens pointing down towards the ground.  Looks as though she may be checking the controls.  That, or she's capturing paving details for her model railway... :mosking:

Polly

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ray&Polly,

Really love this, I was going to be doing something almost identical, until I saw this!

I've been looking at doing a small shunting puzzle to go with my N-gauge Thomas & Friends TrakMat layout.

It's really funny how many parents walk past and they are saying "don't touch" until I tell them it's here for the children to play with!

I've been taking this to Mansfield exhibition since the very first one, can't remember how long ago that was now, maybe 2009??

The only problem I have is when the children turn round to mum and dad and say that the layout is small enough so they can have one in their bedroom. :dontknow:

Never had an issue with any of the children playing trains, although there has been some near misses!!

It's the smiles and fun they have with being able to play trains that makes it all worth it!

I let them use the actual controllers they would find in a train set, although I really like your use of the mini panel, never thought to use it like this..thanks for the idea :good:

post-6745-0-03199200-1371992158_thumb.jpg

A not so busy time, when I could actually see the layout, normally it's packed with a group surrounding the layout and two children on each controller!

post-6745-0-50905500-1371992213_thumb.jpg

This little lad was there for at least an hour but he did complete the puzzle, It's a fairly big size in OO which is why  I really want to do a small N-gauge version, but only use the 3, 2, 2  sidings limit to make completing the puzzle a bit quicker.

Like I say I've bought all the N-gauge Metcalfe buildings to basically make what would be very similar to AVAGO but N-gauge.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction
  • Like 1

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your comments and good luck with your new project. Don't forget to start a blog or layout thread so we can see your progress.

With the Metcalfe kits , I cut some of them up and assembled them in a way to give them a bit of individuality. Luxury apartment warehouse conversions being fairly topical for the last decade or so for example.

Like you say in your post, it's always gratifying to see the the kids getting some enjoyment working out the puzzle or just playing trains. We've even had other exhibitors trying their hand.

Ray.

• Like 1