Mosokits coach coupling units

Hi

The debate rages on about which coach coupling is the best...I had settled on kaydees (yet to fit them though) when another system (the one in the title) has been brought to my attention. I've used lots of Mike Clarks bits and they are great, fiddly but great. So, anyone used this system? If so what have you found and last of all any chance of a photo?

cheers

Mike

The couplings Chris Pendleton developed for his Pullman gangwayed stock are different to the Masokits ones. The Masokits ones are a hook and pivoted loop arrangement. I've got some but haven't as yet used them so can't comment on how well the system works which I know is completely useless to you Mike! Having said that I haven't brought anything from Masokits that I have been disapointed with. The Chirs Pendleton 'boxhead' coupler etches are avaliable through Dave Bradwell.

Justin

I suppose all I really want to know is that they are not like the cast effort from Bill Bedford and Brassmasters - good as they are, they're not for me - whats really intrigued me is the description Mike gives them on the downloadable pdf "clip-in".

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Ah Dave Bradwell produced the ones Chris used, my mistake.

What's the minimum radii you want them for Mike? That seems to rule out some systems such as the brassmasters couplings. We had some run on Slattocks and they either fell off on the corners trying to tilt or were too far apart on the straight

Hopefully he can do a blog post on them in open forum rather than just via pm, there might be useful results for others.

Slattocks will be down to about 40" when we lay the Bury inner lines off the junction. The outers are at about 47" and Paul's rake of mk1s to Morgans methods were happy on those.

I need to try Sergent couplings in Kadee drag boxes at some stage.

The Keen systems couplings might look ok too with some fake pipes either side.

If Kempenfelt has built a rake of coaches - ever - I'll strip and put a pink feather boa on, whilst dancing to the YMCA...yep, pretty confident on this! Either that or the neighbours are in for another shock...

Mike

Has Paul actually got a rake of coaches? I've only ever seen the TPO and that didn't have commectors on it last time I saw it. My rake of 4 Mark 1s had an incident free outing on Portchullin at Scaleforum a couple of years ago. Perhaps Mark will come an tell us what the curve radius is?

http://www.rmweb.co....post__p__251382

Morgan

My minimum radius is 4 feet, which is the curve onto the outer loop from the loop turnouts. It is relatively short and otherwise the radius is 8 feet.

Now of course, that is what templot drew and I intended, exactly what I built is another matter (I don't think it will be much sharper than 4' though - 3'9" at worst).

Well if Paul ever needed the encouragement to finish something then there it is... Just remind me to neck the Southern Comfort first eh ;).

He had fitted the couplings and Bill Bedford bogies to a few coaches Morgan and I think a pair had the connectors in too allowing us to at least see they went through the curve fine.

I really must lay myself a board with a long 3'6 S curve on it to do some testing at home really...

I don't know why you all agonise so much, KDs are simple, work well, look similar to the real thing and allow a practically scale gap between coaches with gangways in contact,

I suppose - for me anyway - having had a disaster with one type of coupling I don't want to make a costly mistake by investing in something that is not going to do what it says it does. All my coaches - now approaching 30 in number - are kit built, if I were simply (?) converting Bachmann then having read Morgans' piece on this type of conversion I don't suppose I would agonise. Once bitten and all that...

Thanks for the video evidence.

Mike

I don't know why you all agonise so much, KDs are simple, work well, look similar to the real thing and allow a practically scale gap between coaches with gangways in contact, just do it.

regards

Keith

Keith,

not if you model carriages that have screw couplings. :no:

Jol

Well now, this topic seemed to be mostly about Mk1s.

If your carriages had screw couplings then you need to put up with it or decide on a compromise that suits you.

My personal dislikes are loose coupled coaches (which rules out AJs) and trying to couple screw couplings under gangways. So my personal compromise is to use KDs on those as well, it may not look like the real thing but it does look pretty much like a coupler that could be used on a railway not some weird bent wire gadget.

To each his own ;)

Oh, check coach no 5 in my long train above, did you notice the KD? -_-

Regards

Keith

Credit where it is due. My adoption of Kaydees on Mk1s was based on stuff previously published by Keith.

On screw coupling stock what I'm working on is AJs with a different setting distance from the headstock. This means that buffer faces and corridor connectors touch and the train behaves as it should and not like a loose coupled freight. Of course this requires sprung buffers and compliant corridor connectors of the same type/build standard on all your stock. I'm not fitting droppers to these AJs either as the need to couple/uncouple in public view is non existent for the layouts I'm involved with.

Morgan

If Kempenfelt has built a rake of coaches - ever - I'll strip and put a pink feather boa on, whilst dancing to the YMCA...yep, pretty confident on this! Either that or the neighbours are in for another shock...

Mike

There you go Mike, a little inspiration...............

FBHPKGT.jpg

Young man, there's no need to feel down

I said young man, pick yourself off the ground

I said young man, 'cause your in a new town

There's no need to be unhappy...................

Oh and don't forget the hand actions?

Archived