Mosokits coach coupling units

I get confused by all the different varieties of Kaydees. Which ones do you use on your coaches, Keith?

DT

http://www.norgrove.me.uk/pullman.htm should help.

Im trying the smaller scale 58s though which I think were the type Morgan used in his guide I have. Examples of the smaller ones anyway.

I think the problem i'll have with the Sergents though is that they couple closer in with the knucles which would need a longer shank which may look more unusual than just having the larger Kadee head.

Nope. I use Kaydee type 714.

Don't some KD's have longer 'arms' than others?

Have you ever fitted KD's to kit built stock, you can guess the reason for the question..for securing to the coach is there an optimum size thread to use, 10ba for example.

Mike

Don't some KD's have longer 'arms' than others?

Mike

The traditional NEM pocket fitting Kadees are different lengths 18,19,20 family and no doubt the screw in box type must have too.

Morgan's just thrown me a right curve ball with his 714 H0n3 design though! Must read the pdf clearer next time..

As there are no pictures of the Masokits couplers I am unsure of their design. I am a long time user of Kadees but find that there is a significant slop when the couplings are tensioned, making the coaches too far apart for my taste. Recently I adopted a coupling method described by Tony Wright in the Right Track #4 DVD - a home made system consisting of a hook and bar. It is useful for coaches in permanent rakes. I still use Kadees on the rake ends. I describe it here:

http://bmrcm.org/coach-corridor-connections-and-couplings-by-john-kendall

Tony also describes how to add a representation of hoses but I've yet to get a Round Tuit.

John

• 4 months later...

Archived