Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

I didn't know that Ratio made a kit for a LNER Hunt Class?

Maybe the Tender (LMS) is a Ratio kit...LNWR?

'...Railway Modeller July 2007 - 'brand new'...'

Now it may be that I'm stating the bleedin' obvious - but how can that description actually be true?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Modeller-July-2007-Brand-New-/400244186146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d30699c22

Lendons of Cardiff is a Model Shop...

Railway Modeller

July 2007 

This sale is for a brand new magazine, this mag is a unsold copy that was put to one side to make way for the next issue that had come out, Ideal for a collector.

I would say "New Old Stock"......

I didn't know that Ratio made a kit for a LNER Hunt Class?

Maybe the Tender (LMS) is a Ratio kit...LNWR?

It looks like the tender from one of their Midland locomotive kits. (Known for their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding - not unlike their prototypes). One IIRC was a 2-4-0, the other I can't remember (0-6-0?).) The loco looks like a Will's kit, with motion from bullhead rail, as was once the custom. The cylinders slope the wrong way! (Of course, proper railways keep them horizontal, if possible.....)

• Like 3

Il Grifone said: It looks like the tender from one of their Midland locomotive kits. (Known for their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding - not unlike their prototypes). One IIRC was a 2-4-0, the other I can't remember (0-6-0?).) The loco looks like a Will's kit, with motion from bullhead rail, as was once the custom. The cylinders slope the wrong way! (Of course, proper railways keep them horizontal, if possible.....)

I don't think that Wills made a Shire, but McGowan did. Later to be followed by a DJH kit. I did buy  a DJH  "professionally built" (by Cra**y) kit on a Comet chassis with Romford wheels and a Dave Alexander tender, for a good price (less than the cost of a wheelset). In real life several of the tenders went to new V2's, and were replaced by older versions, so perhaps it happened in model form as well.

Thane of fife

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Il Grifone said: It looks like the tender from one of their Midland locomotive kits. (Known for their inability to pull the skin off a rice pudding - not unlike their prototypes). One IIRC was a 2-4-0, the other I can't remember (0-6-0?).) The loco looks like a Will's kit, with motion from bullhead rail, as was once the custom. The cylinders slope the wrong way! (Of course, proper railways keep them horizontal, if possible.....)

I don't think that Wills made a Shire, but McGowan did. Later to be followed by a DJH kit. I did buy  a DJH  "professionally built" (by Cra**y) kit on a Comet chassis with Romford wheels and a Dave Alexander tender, for a good price (less than the cost of a wheelset). In real life several of the tenders went to new V2's, and were replaced by older versions, so perhaps it happened in model form as well.

Thane of fife

The other was a small 4-4-0, never seen one, but after attempting the 2-4-0, no hurry to waste any more money! Did Ratio ever get one to work themselves? The tender is definitely from one of these kits, so someone has found a use for part of a kit!

• Like 1

The other was a small 4-4-0, never seen one, but after attempting the 2-4-0, no hurry to waste any more money! Did Ratio ever get one to work themselves? The tender is definitely from one of these kits, so someone has found a use for part of a kit!

That's right - I thought it was either an 0-6-0 or a 4-4-0, but I wasn't that interested - wrong railway!

It is possible, after the great success of the 2-4-0, that it never saw the light of day. The trouble, I gather, was an excess of plastic in the kit resulting in a lack of weight for adhesion, especially seeing the diminutive prototype. Also didn't they have plated plastic wheels - a definite recipe for failure?

Sorry as to the identity of the loco manufacturer - again wrong railway........

• Like 1

Especially seeing the box has a $3 price tag!

(I've just bought 3 Athearn kits for £1 each...... Admittedly assembled and missing 5 of couplings (The other was a Kadee), but if you leave the bits together in the box, they assemble themselves........  :jester:  )

• RMweb Premium

no refunds unless I have grossly misrepresented an item and, in such an instance, shipping is NOT refundable.

Really?

• RMweb Premium

Especially seeing the box has a $3 price tag!

(I've just bought 3 Athearn kits for £1 each...... Admittedly assembled and missing 5 of couplings (The other was a Kadee), but if you leave the bits together in the box, they assemble themselves........  :jester:  )

In the USA, apparently there was no tax on 'kits', but were for R-T-R model railways. So by making 'kits' that were extremely simple to self assemble, modellers didn't pay tax on such items. Once production moved offshore that exemption disappeared, thus making 'kits' uneconomic.

• RMweb Gold

Lendons is the nearest model shop to me (about 3 miles), but I usually travel across town to Lord and Butler, as Lendons shop is very old fashioned with most stuff behind the L shaped counter, stacked high up and not easily visible. The staff mostly have no idea if an item is in stock, or where it might be. Even a serial number often confuses. Oddly, their website requires knowledge of an items serial number to find it quickly, however.

Can't knock them too much, though, they've survived for years so far, but not the most user friendly shop I've visited. They did have the J15 in stock before L and B or a well known Liverpool box shifter, and at a fair price.

• Like 1

Probably the worst example from the Mary Shelley school of Railway Modelling seen so far!!

• A Britannia loco body
  • A King Arthur tender
  • Peppercorn A1 smoke deflectors
  • Streamlined Bulleid Pacific Golden Arrow badge
  • 2 Swindon chimney tops

And a partridge in a pear tree!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-BRITAINNIA-CLASS-70014-MODIFIED-LOCOMOTIVE-RENAMED-TORNADO/231598139234?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123730%26meid%3Db2caa3b837264c7ca76da3e1b9dfbcdb%26pid%3D100167%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D9%26sd%3D261930006859

Surely the kindest thing to do would be to just push it into a turntable pit and to then fill it in

That said I don't know how it would move under its own power as there is nothing connecting the cylinders to the driving wheels!!

The madness continues...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-BRITANNIA-CLASS-7000-RENAMED-MODIFIED-LOCOMOTIVE-TENDER-/231601999566

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-GAUGE-CLASS-B12-APPLE-GREEN-LOCOMOTIVE-TENDER-/231598139892

From 'gostude'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331422674305?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   Nice expensive Lima.

Description says ' Condition:

New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item. Photo shows item out of box, so how is that 'unopened'?

99.8 positive feedback.

Andy

In the USA, apparently there was no tax on 'kits', but were for R-T-R model railways. So by making 'kits' that were extremely simple to self assemble, modellers didn't pay tax on such items. Once production moved offshore that exemption disappeared, thus making 'kits' uneconomic.

The same sort of thing applied in this country in the days of Purchase Tax. IIRC 'model' railways (or at least their components) were taxed at a different rate to 'toy' (ie R-T-R) railways. The rules were certainly complicated - I can remember a cartoon from the late sixties or early seventies showing a queue of people waiting to buy valve amplifiers being sold as 'space heaters' and and thus benefiting from a lower tax rate....

The same sort of thing applied in this country in the days of Purchase Tax. IIRC 'model' railways (or at least their components) were taxed at a different rate to 'toy' (ie R-T-R) railways. The rules were certainly complicated - I can remember a cartoon from the late sixties or early seventies showing a queue of people waiting to buy valve amplifiers being sold as 'space heaters' and and thus benefiting from a lower tax rate....

The power controllers were not listed in the Tri-ang Railways Catalogues, as that would make them a "toy" and subject to Purchase Tax...so the Power Controllers had their own catalogue, and were sold a "tools" (lower PT!) as they could be used for other things.... ;)

The power controllers were not listed in the Tri-ang Railways Catalogues, as that would make them a "toy" and subject to Purchase Tax...so the Power Controllers had their own catalogue, and were sold a "tools" (lower PT!) as they could be used for other things.... ;)

I did wonder why at the time. Dublo and Trix power units were similarly 'under the counter'. The excuse was that they needed to be 'to order' for various mains voltages around the country, despite 240V 50 Hz* being almost universal by the fifties AFAIK.

* Still cycles/second at the time - a more useful and self explanatory unit IMHO.