RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Ebay seemed to think I'd be interested in this load of old tat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304737811120?_

No prizes for identifying the Items The best least bad appears to be the K's kit. followed up by the Ratio kits and the Airfix/Dapol mineral. The van in the middle would be rated higher if it were not broken. Angle strapping is very hard to repair....

£1 each maximum IMHO!

The seller has a load of Trix locos at £14.99 if anyone is interested - probably not!

The first Cadet 0-4-0T is even more warped than usual (acetate strikes again!) Sorry - it's 3 rail and missing the centre rail pickup. The wheels are insulated, of course, so 2 rail is a possible (though pointless - pun intended unless you use Trix track) conversion.

Am I being cynical in assuming  "Untested" to mean "Tested, but didn't work"?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

If I was asking over £40 including postage for something that looks like it's worth about £10-15 I think that I would put in some effort rather than just dumping it on eBay with the equivalent of a grunt.

Lazy? Chancer? Both? 

Answers on a postcard to the usual address...

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

19 hours ago, ianmacc said:

I’m actually glad TT is succeeding though as I’m not one of the anti-Hornby brigade.

Thought you may appreciate my new listing, inspired by this thread 😊

D4B0110F-077C-4BAF-8DA7-0A211EEE2E91.jpeg

B0AB621D-A8C3-4F9A-8913-304CBEE12C9B.jpeg

I'm not anti Hornby at all, I definitely don't want to see them fall, but I just don't get the revival of the TT idea.

Probably a good thing I can't read the record labels, it might create a cringeworthy ear worm that won't go away.

I used to turn rusty old circular saw blades into clocks, they sold rather well! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm not anti Hornby at all, I definitely don't want to see them fall, but I just don't get the revival of the TT idea.

It's all a game of "Simon Says"....

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Probably a good thing I can't read the record labels, it might create a cringeworthy ear worm that won't go away.

So we meet again Mr Bond. Would you like to hear the records I collect on eBay???

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You got me there, please do explain?

The vendor declares himself to be a "barrie conchie", so naturally, given his offering, an old expression came to mind...

• Funny 2

6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It's all a game of "Simon Says"....

Not unlike the world of contemporary art then.

So we meet again Mr Bond. Would you like to hear the records I collect on eBay???

I suppose you expect me to listen to Builder's Radio FM?

No Mr Bond, I expect you to get one of the double glazing adverts as an ear worm!

Argh! Shoot me now you ba****d!

The vendor declares himself to be a "barrie conchie", so naturally, given his offering, an old expression came to mind...

IME, "Conchie" generally translates as "Closet Ivan", so not to be trusted!

I have though, bought a number of very nice items from this seller, even though he does have some impressive tat, usually worth a trawl.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Have to say, TT:120 as 'the next big thing' does nothing for me.

I still remember the way TT3  changed from "Taking over as primary scale!"  to "What the heck is TT3?" seemingly almost overnight....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not one of these "kit built" GWR wagons is kit built, unless you count the boxes of parts on Bachmann or Oxford's production line?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304737855561?

Thirty five quid can't be bad though (or didn't I look hard enough?).

I would have brushed the dust off the 2251 before taking the pics though.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

Not bad at all, the Oxford six wheeler isn't exactly old hat and they're about £20 a go, the rest are Bachmann and not exactly worthless either, despite the old Mainline body tooling that dates back to General Gordon's last stand at Khartoum...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I used to turn rusty old circular saw blades into clocks, they sold rather well! 

Hi. Not aimed at you or anyone specifically. Wanting Hornby to thrive and thinking TT is a good idea is not intertwined!

I bought a small record player from Argos out of curiosity. A nice retro briefcase design from Bush for about £30! 

Went through a huge pile of dusty records and picked out some gems to keep as a novelty and the rest will probably go to a charity shop rather than bother with eBay. 

They were mostly soul funk disco reggae and pop. 

I’ll give you an earworm free of charge! 
“ooh I’m going to Barbados” (the inspiration for the Ibiza song a few years ago…)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

A fiver a wagon plus postage is not ridiculous I agree, and is the going rate at model shops. The madness is they are mostly brake vans and this is in the same category as the job lot of rerailers a few posts back! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

A fiver a wagon plus postage is not ridiculous I agree, and is the going rate at model shops. The madness is they are mostly brake vans and this is in the same category as the job lot of rerailers a few posts back! 

My only problem with the listing was that it was titled "kit built" and they're blatantly not.

If I didn't already have 3 Oxford toads, 2 Mainline, 2 Bachmann and a couple of genuine kit built items from D&S and Ratio, I'd almost certainly be buying that little lot, weathering them, changing the depot branding and the couplings and putting them on the layout.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My only problem with the listing was that it was titled "kit built" and they're blatantly not.

If I didn't already have 3 Oxford toads, 2 Mainline, 2 Bachmann and a couple of genuine kit built items from D&S and Ratio, I'd almost certainly be buying that little lot, weathering them, changing the depot branding and the couplings and putting them on the layout.

I contacted him via eBay and he's removed the "Kit-Built" description.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Hi. Not aimed at you or anyone specifically. Wanting Hornby to thrive and thinking TT is a good idea is not intertwined!

I bought a small record player from Argos out of curiosity. A nice retro briefcase design from Bush for about £30! 

Went through a huge pile of dusty records and picked out some gems to keep as a novelty and the rest will probably go to a charity shop rather than bother with eBay. 

They were mostly soul funk disco reggae and pop. 

I’ll give you an earworm free of charge! 
“ooh I’m going to Barbados” (the inspiration for the Ibiza song a few years ago…)

Get yourself some Argo Transacord LP's and e.p's, some headphones and an armchair. Close your eyes......

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 33C said:

Get yourself some Argo Transacord LP's and e.p's, some headphones and an armchair. Close your eyes......

Just like ASMR. Lps are good, but eps don't last long enough.

sigh.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

Had to Google that, a bit before my time but one of my friends has the Shap recordings.

I had a feeling that's what it was.

Didn't want to say anything daft just in case it was some sort of new age ambient whale song drivel type thing man...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Had to Google that, a bit before my time but one of my friends has the Shap recordings.

I had a feeling that's what it was.

Didn't want to say anything daft just in case it was some sort of new age ambient whale song drivel type thing man...

No way, but don't put on the Gallopers music! " Trains in Trouble" is a good un'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If only they where available on a CD... I had a fantastic cassette from the early days of the 80064 fund of SR steam the best was the station announcement of 'the train arriving at the platform is the 9:00 from Waterloo, this train is divided here...' and so it went on finalising in the sound of a MN drifting into Exeter Central..

Ahh bliss!

If only I could find these again on a CD

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Like 1