RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think someone used one of those paint kits used to "upcycle" (Aaggh! Hate that word, kill its pretentiousness, kill it with fire..... Etc etc etc.)

Sounds like Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen and his home-wrecking, scumble glaze antics on 90s telly is back!

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Indeed - a railway modelling cliche along with bridges and busses and multi-track tunnel portals with two scale feet of “hill” above them, usually with a church on top ( must make grave digging a challenge).

The tank looks like a solid resin wargaming model, judging by the half relief running gear and the large moulding stub under the chassis.  The tarpaulin cover is probably a blessing.

Cheers

Darius

The tank is one of the loads produced for the diecast, "Trackside", series of lorries and trailers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you want one, here's one for half the price...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1023277643

Er, thanks, but no, I already have enough junk to dust!

4 hours ago, 40152 said:

Sounds like Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen and his home-wrecking, scumble glaze antics on 90s telly is back!

I don't want to worry you, but I think he's been reappearing here and there, rather like some of those diseases we thought we had banished to period dramas...

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Looks like your autocorrect modified what you typed to "chic"...

Damn you, thought police!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Swissrail said:

God I hope not. That popinjay was such a pretentious ar$ehole!

It's with a certain sense of schadenfreude I see that dressing up as Dorian Gray wasn't enough, middle age and a lot of free lunches have taken their toll....

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 40152 said:

I thought scumble was what Granny Ogg of Discworld fame brewed?  Certainly capable of home wrecking and there would be very little glaze, paint or plastic left after dipping those coaches into it!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 40152 said:

Had a minor run-in with LLB at a food fair in Bristol some years ago.  He had a stall knocking out food from his farm, no doubt of very high quality and of course all 'organic' but v. expensive, and was schmoozing a cutomer with the story of 'old Bob' or such, who'd been on the farm since he was a lad, over 80 but still looking after the cows that he loved despite his wheezy chest, almost one of the family, lives in a tied cottage &c.  The tied cottage awakened my inner socialsit, never a thing that sleeps heavily at the best of time, and I find LLB irritating anyway.

TJ; 'Yeah, poor old s*d's probably hanging in there because if he loses the cottage he'll end up in some council sink estate somewhere, or on the streets'.

LLB: 'Well, that's not the attitude to take, now, is it?'.

TJ: 'It is if you're old Bob!'.

Customer is walking away by now.  I'll take whatever minor victories I can these days, cheered me up no end.  Bought a couple of grey squirrels from another stall at this fair, skinned and shrink wrapped like supermarket Vietnamese rabbits, similar taste but a bit gamier and not quite as dry, 'contains nuts'.  Asked the guy if I could cook my own, as the park I lived next door to in those days was overrun with them, and I had visions of me sneaking around  after dark with a military grade catapult and night vision goggles and a murderous glint in my eye, taking them out for supper, and not in the 'on a date' sense.  Apparently, this is not advisable as urban park squiggles are taste-tainted by their nicotine addiction, the result of eating discarded fag-ends, the major cause of death for these animals and an agonising cancerous one at that.  Rural woodland greys are fine eating apparently, but you need a licence.

Makes you proud to be part of the human race, don' it!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 5
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I don't want to worry you, but I think he's been reappearing here and there, rather like some of those diseases we thought we had banished to period dramas...

I noticed him recently fronting adverts for a plumbing company on the digital channels....

Not a sight that would encourage me to buy!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Chrisr40 said:

Crikey, I know that commenting on other peoples’ modelling is a little frowned on round here, but choosing what must be the world’s naffest name for a loco is bad enough before adding insult to injury by managing to stick one side upside down in the bargain…

What happened to giving locos names that, well, stirred the blood a little? Apart from the class 68s, we seem to be using names culled from management-speak nonsense off those meant-to-be-inspirational-but-suck-your-soul-dry posters. Mind you, I was watching that ‘Warship’ programme on the telly the other night and even the RN have gone down the pan. The days of HMS Don’t Even Think It Sunshine seem to have been replaced by the equivalent of HMS My Name’s Colin* Would You Like A Nice Biscuit. Don’t want to frighten anyone now, do we? I know I’ll get a lecture about soft power and all after this , but, well, y’know…

*no disrespect to the Colins of this world intended

Edited by 40152
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Crikey, I know that commenting on other peoples’ modelling is a little frowned on round here, but choosing what must be the world’s naffest name for a loco is bad enough before adding insult to injury by managing to stick one side upside down in the bargain…

What happened to giving locos names that, well, stirred the blood a little? Apart from the class 68s, we seem to be using names culled from management-speak nonsense off those meant-to-be-inspirational-but-suck-your-soul-dry posters. Mind you, I was watching that ‘Warship’ programme on the telly the other night and even the RN have gone down the pan. The days of HMS Don’t Even Think It Sunshine seem to have been replaced by the equivalent of HMS My Name’s Colin* Would You Like A Nice Biscuit. Don’t want to frighten anyone now, do we? I know I’ll get a lecture about soft power and all after this , but, well, y’know…

How did someone succeed in sticking a nameplate upside down!?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Had a minor run-in with LLB at a food fair in Bristol some years ago.  He had a stall knocking out food from his farm, no doubt of very high quality and of course all 'organic' but v. expensive,

Nowadays if a celebrity quietly disappears, it usually means that they've bought a "hobby farm" somewhere picturesque but impoverished. 

If it doesn't work out, they can always make a couple of million selling the story.

and was schmoozing a cutomer with the story of 'old Bob' or such, who'd been on the farm since he was a lad, over 80 but still looking after the cows that he loved despite his wheezy chest, almost one of the family, lives in a tied cottage &c.  The tied cottage awakened my inner socialsit, never a thing that sleeps heavily at the best of time, and I find LLB irritating anyway.

TJ; 'Yeah, poor old s*d's probably hanging in there because if he loses the cottage he'll end up in some council sink estate somewhere, or on the streets'.

LLB: 'Well, that's not the attitude to take, now, is it?'.

TJ: 'It is if you're old Bob!'.

He'd be lucky. I can tell you from personal experience that the criteria for the homeless to qualify for any help with housing is:

1. You're a mother with dependant children.

2. You have a dependency on drugs or alcohol.

3. You are "newly arrived".

Perhaps old Bob can do odd jobs around the neighbouring farms until he's got a bond and a month's advance rent together?

Customer is walking away by now.  I'll take whatever minor victories I can these days, cheered me up no end.  Bought a couple of grey squirrels from another stall at this fair, skinned and shrink wrapped like supermarket Vietnamese rabbits, similar taste but a bit gamier and not quite as dry, 'contains nuts'.  Asked the guy if I could cook my own, as the park I lived next door to in those days was overrun with them, and I had visions of me sneaking around  after dark with a military grade catapult and night vision goggles and a murderous glint in my eye, taking them out for supper, and not in the 'on a date' sense.  Apparently, this is not advisable as urban park squiggles are taste-tainted by their nicotine addiction, the result of eating discarded fag-ends, the major cause of death for these animals and an agonising cancerous one at that.  Rural woodland greys are fine eating apparently, but you need a licence.

Makes you proud to be part of the human race, don' it!

They also like to chew through the gas hoses on caravans and get high off the fumes.

Very few fag ends around here, the smack rats get to them before the tree rats.

Which makes me wonder, why if you have the means to hunt squirrels, you wouldn't bag a few Wood pigeons instead? 

Same objection to town pigeons, you've gone from tree rat to flying rat there.

If you can't get a license, you can always make a silencer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, 40152 said:

It's all a bit weird isn't it? All of our institutions are becoming a joke, I'm  convinced it's all allowed to happen. But of course if you say something, then up pops a condescending soul to remind you that you might be "mildly paranoid", suffering from a persecution complex, maybe "damaged thinking" or simply to go away and consider how our opinion could be seen as offensive.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

George Orwell.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Nowadays if a celebrity quietly disappears, it usually means that they've bought a "hobby farm" somewhere picturesque but impoverished. 

If it doesn't work out, they can always make a couple of million selling the story.

He'd be lucky. I can tell you from personal experience that the criteria for the homeless to qualify for any help with housing is:

1. You're a mother with dependant children.

2. You have a dependency on drugs or alcohol.

3. You are "newly arrived".

Perhaps old Bob can do odd jobs around the neighbouring farms until he's got a bond and a month's advance rent together?

They also like to chew through the gas hoses on caravans and get high off the fumes.

Very few fag ends around here, the smack rats get to them before the tree rats.

Which makes me wonder, why if you have the means to hunt squirrels, you wouldn't bag a few Wood pigeons instead? 

Same objection to town pigeons, you've gone from tree rat to flying rat there.

If you can't get a license, you can always make a silencer.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that urban pigeons are equally inedible, for similar reasons...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3