RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not even a Blue Peter badge as he missed using a washing up liquid bottle...

The other key Blue Peter badge indicators are using sticky back plastic and Copydex*. They weren't used either!

* Other latex-based adhesives may be available...

• Funny 5

13 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Sounds like the sort of ideas I come up with after too much indulgence  IPA, G&T etc

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

I was trying to work out what the builder intended it to be as it seems like an awful lot of effort to mash up 3 different makes of coaches for no reason

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

According to the seller the roof and “cassis” are from a Triang CKD sleeper.  Didn’t know that Triang provided cassis with their CKD kits, but that would explain a lot of things…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The other key Blue Peter badge indicators are using sticky back plastic and Copydex*. They weren't used either!

* Other latex-based adhesives may be available...

Don't forget to tell everyone that you are "using double sided sticky tape for speed..." 

Although we now know that by the 1980s some of the presenters were using their vast BBC salaries to buy cocaine instead...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 3

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Don't forget to tell everyone that you are "using double sided sticky tape for speed..." 

Although we now know that by the 1980s some of the presenters were using their vast BBC salaries to buy cocaine instead...

Gone are the days when the height of desire was a photo of Valerie Singleton posing in a bathtowel...

Edited by Hroth
noticed a wrong word
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

15 hours ago, Darius43 said:

According to the seller the roof and “cassis” are from a Triang CKD sleeper.  Didn’t know that Triang provided cassis with their CKD kits, but that would explain a lot of things…

Cheers

Darius

Crème de cassis??

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I remember a 'going away' shot of Lesley Judd climbing a waterfall in West Africa somewhere on a Blue Peter Special, in a pretty skimpy bikini, and being much impressed, in the particular way that teenage boys are liable to be by such visions that leads them to becoming rigidly upstanding, proud, and  erect members of the community.  The water was, apparently, quite cool...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 16/06/2023 at 02:31, pH said:

My winning bid was just over $26 - I don’t think you would get much plumbing done for that!

I said there were two bids over the bid I won with - they were by two different userids. Both were then withdrawn according to e-bay’s pretty specific rules as I described above. In 20 years or so bidding on e-bay auctions, I can’t remember ever seeing a bid withdrawn before - then two, by different userids, on one auction???

Fortunately, my bid was a ‘fire and forget’ that I made a couple of days ago. I didn’t see any of this until after the auction was over, so it had no influence on my bidding. 

I was suggesting an alternative reason(s) as to why the person might have have withdrawn their bid.

Obviously I do not know, but (as I have stated) possible reasons. As regards paying a plumber with $26, well, if a plumber anything more than $26 that might be his model railway budget for the period of time (opportunity cost: the foregoing of the next best alternative). I was trying to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than being cynical.

I do not know why the people withdrew their bids. My point was more general, though: maybe not a bot artificially inflating the price or something similar. Never mind.

On 16/06/2023 at 20:42, Paul H Vigor said:

Caught in the act by SWMBO!?

Possibly. Another one of possibly infinite reasons I forgot about. Possibly some other family-related expense. I do not know why the people withdrew their bids. My point was more general, though: maybe not a bot artificially inflating the price or something similar. Never mind.

Edited by JN
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As well as the other classic: 'Here is one I made earlier'. I remember that one from Anthea Turner making Tracey Island.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JN said:

As well as the other classic: 'Here is one I made earlier'. I remember that one from Anthea Turner making Tracey Island.

A timeless standby phrase used whenever waiting for glue to set or paint to dry would impede the narrative process.  Other favourite Blue Peter crafting materials included matchboxes of different sizes, corrugated cardboard, wooden cotton reels and those little brassey paper fasteners with ends that splayed out...

There's even a book...

Edited by Hroth
link
  • Like 3

Another auction that's fits into the "what are they bidding on that I can't see" catagory. I know there's quite a lot of it, but 87 pounds for 40 year old steel track? I guess the point levers and point motors (if they work) are worth something but still

Rusty

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Another auction that's fits into the "what are they bidding on that I can't see" catagory. I know there's quite a lot of it, but 87 pounds for 40 year old steel track? I guess the point levers and point motors (if they work) are worth something but still

Rusty

At least its a bidder driven amount rather than a loopy "buy it now" valuation. The apparently nickle silver Express point below the switch bank looks in reasonable condition so may have contributed to upbidding the lot.

And its for a charity, so it benefits others, rather than the vendor.

Otherwise...

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Rusty

Perhaps it is simply the "collector" mentality. That can vary from "I must have one as they are genuinely rare", to complete a collection (Which can be almost anything) or to be part of a "club" and not seen to be left out of a discerning, moneyed group. The latter  may explain why seemingly somodellers rush to buy the latest RTR OO loco, often in a variety of different livery/period versions and then post about it online.

I can't see the great pleasure that comes from just "owning" something, although I suspect that is important to many in today's acquisitive society.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Perhaps it is simply the "collector" mentality. That can vary from "I must have one as they are genuinely rare", to complete a collection (Which can be almost anything) or to be part of a "club" and not seen to be left out of a discerning, moneyed group. The latter  may explain why seemingly somodellers rush to buy the latest RTR OO loco, often in a variety of different livery/period versions and then post about it online.

I can't see the great pleasure that comes from just "owning" something, although I suspect that is important to many in today's acquisitive society.

You could be right although I'm not sure what could be classed as rare on that listing.. I have noticed a  recent worrying trend of people buying joblots of random stuff for more than the individual items would cost (unless you're gostude) I mean 11 point levers = 20-25 on a good day. 9 untested rough looking point motors = 20-25. So that leaves rusty track, the nickel silver point, and a crap controller going for 42 pounds 😱

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

So that leaves rusty track, the nickel silver point, and a crap controller going for 42 pounds

Hattons will do you the Express point, brand new, for about £23, so the current top bidder is "only" paying £19 for the scrap track and controller.  At least the controller is declared as PAT tested, so shouldn't electrocute the eventual buyer if its plugged into the mains!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hattons will do you the Express point, brand new, for about £23, so the current top bidder is "only" paying £19 for the scrap track and controller.  At least the controller is declared as PAT tested, so shouldn't electrocute the eventual buyer if its plugged into the mains!

True, but why not buy a 2nd hand  nickel silver tested express point for 12 pounds on ebay.😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Oh dear...

Model Train Railway OO Gauge

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155607034566?

House clearance expert strikes again.

From the same sellor:

'Untold Nude'

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155606532245?hash=item243adf4095:g:DR8AAOSw~QBkiG7c

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2