RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I messaged this seller to point out that the description talked of the loco and not the box. He replied in three messages with a diatribe of vitriol. This punter's a nasty piece of work:

And all that from a point made about him describing the loco and not the box. I love that bit about me being banned from buying from him. Oh the agony! The pain! How can I go on!? 🤣

Oh I just love people like that. 

They wouldn't even look me in the eye out in the real world. 😆

• Agree 6

I've had another one after I told him I was reporting his hysterical abuse to Ebay. (I've left in the spelling mistakes):

😲 Oh, his poor wife!

"... your gang of friends ..." - well, I wonder who they might be??

• Funny 3

I strongly suspect the latter! I'm glad it's not just me. Based on his feedback, it seems criticism of any kind is met with hysteria. It's actually quite funny really. He sounds like Basil Fawlty having a really bad day!

I've got a mental picture of him jumping up and down in rage! Imagine being his neighbour!?

• Funny 3

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I've got a mental picture of him jumping up and down in rage! Imagine being his neighbour!?

And he said he was reporting ME to Ebay! A real Mr Angry but I suspect, as you said, you could frighten him with a Paddington Hard Stare. His anger is probably frustration with his own social inadequacy. He wishes he was able to face up to real people but hasn't got the minerals for it.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

And he said he was reporting ME to Ebay! A real Mr Angry but I suspect, as you said, you could frighten him with a Paddington Hard Stare. His anger is probably frustration with his own social inadequacy. He wishes he was able to face up to real people but hasn't got the minerals for it.

If he was from across the pond, you'd hope he didn't have access to pop guns!

• Agree 3

He's just the sort who would channel his self loathing through the barrel of a rifle! I used to work beside someone just like this guy. I always said he was only one temper tantrum away from a jail sentence.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of a bloke who started same day as me for Royal Mail back in '87.  Quiet sort of fellow, but one tea-break he suddenly announced that he wondered what it would be like to slit open his own belly and turn his entrails out slowly on a lathe.  Which stopped the conversation pretty much dead in it's tracks!  He left shortly afterwards, saying he was going to join the police so that he could use firearms, the concept of which chilled the blood.  The police didn't accept him, for what were by now fairly obvious reasons, and he tried to get back with Royal Mail, but there were too many red flags by this time; 'going postal' usually referred to the US mail service, not ours!  I think he joined the army, or at least tried to, after that, but never heard from him again.  I was alway half expecting to, on the sort of BBC news report that ends 'and the headmaster, before turning the gun on himself'.  A bit of healthy uncontrollable rage and aggressive paranoia might have actually helped in his case...

I also wonder if our eBay hero, prince among chisellers, is the same bloke who back in the late 80s ran a model railway shop on Broadway, just around the corner from where I live in Roath. Cardiff.  It wasn't a bad shop, and he stocked stuff that could be a problem to get elsewhere like Smiths couplings or turned brass buffers, the sort of thing you had to mail-order or go to shows for in those pre-internet days, but the guy was about 2 seconds away from full meltdown at any given moment.  There are people who go into business apparently with the belief that people are irrepressable eager to spend money with them, and become very aggressive when they don't, or if they start to haggle over secondhand prices; he banned me from his shop for putting in an offer on a secondhand kit 72xx which was a little heavily priced, but my temerity in not giving him what he wanted for it immedieately led him to summarily ban me on the spot.  All he had to do was to say 'no, I'm holding out for my price, pay that or don't buy it', but he instantly threw his toys out of the pram and me out of the shop!  I'm no businessman but I would have thought it was bad practice to behave like this to the people who you want to give you their money...

He closed the shop not long after this, it having lasted about six months.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I also wonder if our eBay hero, prince among chisellers, is the same bloke who back in the late 80s ran a model railway shop on Broadway, just around the corner from where I live in Roath. Cardiff.  It wasn't a bad shop, and he stocked stuff that could be a problem to get elsewhere like Smiths couplings or turned brass buffers, the sort of thing you had to mail-order or go to shows for in those pre-internet days, but the guy was about 2 seconds away from full meltdown at any given moment.  There are people who go into business apparently with the belief that people are irrepressable eager to spend money with them, and become very aggressive when they don't, or if they start to haggle over secondhand prices; he banned me from his shop for putting in an offer on a secondhand kit 72xx which was a little heavily priced, but my temerity in not giving him what he wanted for it immedieately led him to summarily ban me on the spot.  All he had to do was to say 'no, I'm holding out for my price, pay that or don't buy it', but he instantly threw his toys out of the pram and me out of the shop!  I'm no businessman but I would have thought it was bad practice to behave like this to the people who you want to give you their money...

He closed the shop not long after this, it having lasted about six months.

Well, the mad box seller is in Bridgend which is the right part of the country and the attitude (allowing for behavioural inflation) is pretty much on the mark so I think it may well be the same guy or at least one cut from the same cloth.

• RMweb Gold

It’s like James Bond says, ‘Once is pleasant, twice is coincidence (the stage we’re at now), and three times is enemy action’.  He’d be in his 70s like me and being old won’t have mellowed this character!  His contempt for his customers and paranoia are his prime motivations.  

He’s a tall gangly sort with a good reach if you are considering a physical confrontation (this seems to be a long way off last resort in his case); go in hard, low, and below-the-belt dirty or bring him down from behind the knees.  He’s a bully and does not warrant the benefit of the doubt…

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Ah, but it does come with a signed Salvage Or Scrap thank you card!!!!  Presumably this sort of "celebrity" nonsense attracts the same more money than sense loons who are going bat poo crazy bidding on bits of class 313 this weekend.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

It’s like James Bond says, ‘Once is pleasant, twice is coincidence (the stage we’re at now), and three times is enemy action’.  He’d be in his 70s like me and being old won’t have mellowed this character!  His contempt for his customers and paranoia are his prime motivations.  

He’s a tall gangly sort with a good reach if you are considering a physical confrontation (this seems to be a long way off last resort in his case); go in hard, low, and below-the-belt dirty or bring him down from behind the knees.  He’s a bully and does not warrant the benefit of the doubt…

So, he's like 'Jaws' - with falsies??

• Funny 3

3 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Ah, but it does come with a signed Salvage Or Scrap thank you card!!!!  Presumably this sort of "celebrity" nonsense attracts the same more money than sense loons who are going bat poo crazy bidding on bits of class 313 this weekend.

Seems he has three groupie bidders gagging for it? £72.00 so far!

• Funny 3

11 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I don't believe his 'girlfriend' likes trains?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I messaged this seller to point out that the description talked of the loco and not the box. He replied in three messages with a diatribe of vitriol. This punter's a nasty piece of work:

And all that from a point made about him describing the loco and not the box. I love that bit about me being banned from buying from him. Oh the agony! The pain! How can I go on!? 🤣

That seller needs help! Or more drugs. Or both.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4