Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Saw this and thought of MrWolf! 😉

I've just had a look at this sellers other items. There's a fair few car badges and forecourt signs etc. Then I looked at their address. Pickering N Yorks  YO18 8NA (about 90 mins across the moors from me)

Just a bit more info. Mathewsons (Bangers and Cash on the telly) has another site in Pickering the postcode of which is YO18 7NA , more or less next door. Coincidence ??

Regards, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Starting to list some books on Ebay - and decided to try out the AI description generator - an example is below - what utter rubbish. I can see that auto generated descriptions will provide this thread with no end of fun. The worrying part is the comment made earlier (on anecdotal evidence) that using AI descriptions had the effect of increasing the sale value.....     For my own sanity I will be sticking to simple factual descriptions.

For "Profile of the Duchesses"

Discover the world of the Duchesses with this captivating book by David Jenkinson. Published in 2005, this hardcover edition is a valuable addition to any book collection. The book features 128 pages of detailed information on the lives of the Duchesses, their influence, and their impact on society. The book is written in English and measures 280mm x 210mm, making it easy to read and handle. It is a perfect choice for anyone interested in railway history, as it explores the topic in depth. The book has been published by opc, one of the leading publishers in the industry. Get your hands on this fascinating book and delve into the world of the Duchesses.

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Classic Hatton's overpriced carp in a good box.  They'll possibly have a complete, running, example for less but without a good box.  I used to browse Hats' 2h listings, but not any more; there are much better ways of wasting my life!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, ted633 said:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1495618/hornby_r3842_po05_class_w1_hush_hush_4_6_4_10000_in_lner_apple_green_pre_owned_sold_as_seen_non/stockdetail

Not sure what you're supposed to salvage from this for £150, but at least it's got a good box

Looks like someone drove 10000 into the buffers at Kings Cross.   The affair was all very hush hush.....

🤪

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Innerhome said:

Starting to list some books on Ebay - and decided to try out the AI description generator - an example is below - what utter rubbish. I can see that auto generated descriptions will provide this thread with no end of fun. The worrying part is the comment made earlier (on anecdotal evidence) that using AI descriptions had the effect of increasing the sale value.....     For my own sanity I will be sticking to simple factual descriptions.

Discover the world of the Duchesses with this captivating book by David Jenkinson. Published in 2005, this hardcover edition is a valuable addition to any book collection. The book features 128 pages of detailed information on the lives of the Duchesses, their influence, and their impact on society. The book is written in English and measures 280mm x 210mm, making it easy to read and handle. It is a perfect choice for anyone interested in railway history, as it explores the topic in depth. The book has been published by opc, one of the leading publishers in the industry. Get your hands on this fascinating book and delve into the world of the Duchesses.

I think there is scope for a whole new raft of bullsh!t bingo cards here!

Mike.

• Agree 8

7 hours ago, Innerhome said:

Be careful!

"The Book of the Duchess" was also one of Chaucers early works...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Duchess

🙃

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

Follow up to my previous post…

I contacted the seller to point out their major omission in their description to discover I had previously contacted them…

Originally, this was listed as a Heljan model, so I pointed out that Heljan have never produced a Class 71. They replied that this is a class 71 body on a Heljan chassis, and they would update the listing to correct the error. 👍

The thing is, I’m sure last time I saw it that it had things at each of its four corners that allowed it to actually move under its own power. 🫢

The only way it might move right now is vertically, if dropped from a height.

Steve S

UPDATE

It has wheels after all! Having written to them, they have got back to me and upon peering VERY hard at a much enlarged photo the wheels are JUST visible …

Which means I doubt they are to scale!

In any care case, a pristine version can be had for 50p more than the atrocity available from RAILS!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected a pointless previous autocorrection
  • Funny 2

I think the decimal point is out by one place for this listing…

LIMA LMS GUV van

That, or P K Rail Model Railway is yet another mendacious chiseller? 

Maybe check out the NEAR identical item on sale from pwd100 before you make your mind up…

LIMA BR GUV van

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Fixed post further to error pointed out
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Wow.

Just … wow!

£60??

Metcalfe Municipal Building

I mean, okay, someone is building them and selling them ready made, but does that include improving the appearance of bare cardboard edges or simply gluing them together as per kit instructions?

The rest of the items this seller has on offer are also thus priced.

Think I’ll buy the kits and take my chances building them myself!

Steve S

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Wow.

Just … wow!

£60??

Metcalfe Municipal Building

I mean, okay, someone is building them and selling them ready made, but does that include improving the appearance of bare cardboard edges or simply gluing them together as per kit instructions?

The rest of the items this seller has on offer are also thus priced.

Think I’ll buy the kits and take my chances building them myself!

Steve S

Built to order in five days. Reliable shipping by Yodel £2.99

My inner cynic says it will have been returned to kit form in the post!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I think the decimal point is out by one place for this listing…

LIMA LMS GUV van

That, or P K Rail Model Railway is yet another mendacious chiseller? 

Maybe check out the identical item on sale from pwd100 before you make your mind up…

LIMA LMS GUV van

Steve S

What has happened to model railway pricing online? It seems to have gone nuts? I went to the Swansea Model Railway Show in September and the face-to-face traders present seemed very fair.

• Like 2