If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello

Tin Turtle

Hi everyone, i'm Rob - had a model railway as a child (who didn't!), aspired to have a layout for years but never really got around to it. One of my main interests is the Great War, and so of course have an interest in the War Department Light Railway's, the 2 foot narrow gauge system used on the western front as well as other theatres. Thanks to Barry of WD Models, i'm more aware of what stuff is out there, and also have acquired thanks to him a BK Modelcraft Simplex 20hp, and currently also have the Simplex 40hp 'Tin Turtle' and also a Baldwin 4-6-0T on the way as well as various rolling stock. I'm hoping to motorise the Tin Turtle and the Baldwin and have a short railway layout set on the western front, which also means i'll be able to use my various military vehicle models at the same time.

I also still have an interest in the 'big railway', especially the GWR due to my interest in Brunel and anything painted green

• RMweb Gold

Hello, welcome to the community that is RMweb.

As I have practically no knowledge about narrow gauge but am building a layout inspired by Calshot, i'm interested to see your project as it unfolds. I'd quite like to buy a 40hp Simplex 'Tin Turtle' too as it will suit my needs, but they seem to be both elusive and expensive! I was thinking about scratchbuilding with a N gauge 0-4-0 chassis but we shall see.

Anyway, take your time to look around and join in, we're a friendly bunch...

Jam :D

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Jam, although it says 'out of production', I got mine from here

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/Loco_Body_Kits__White_Metal_.html

Haven't started building it yet as I need to find a suitable chassis for it - Nigel Lawton does one (as well as a running 20hp Simplex), but to be honest, after looking at the instructions it's scared me off!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob. Just found this site:

http://www.bagofbits.com/tinturtle/

Which shows a body kit for a Tin Turtle made by Meridian Models and states: "requires Eggerbahn Decauville 0-4-0 Steam Tank Chassis or similar."

Like I said, i have very limited knowledge on narrow gauge models but there are always more knowledgable people on here!

Hi Jam, that's the same kit - the armoured and protected Simplex are the same kit too. You can also use the Nigel Lawton specially designed chassis, I haven't acquired a chassis for it yet as I can't find the Decauville one, and the Nigel Lawton one's instructions terrify me, and don't really want to pay ??75 for a chassis.

Cheers, Rob

Archived