Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

I forgot to mention, the new layout is already on paper and it will be based on a station built on a specially built 'direct' line from Bradford to the main Leeds Kings Cross line at Wrenthorpe Junction just north of Wakefield Westgate, the station serves an off stage junction for a direct line to Halifax from which through coaches arrive and depart. These through coaches are added to direct Bradford - Kings Cross trains at the station which is also the terminus for local trains from east of Wakefield, because the station was built specifically for the interchange of coaches / passengers local traffic is incidental and although a small town /village has developed in the area very few goods facilities are provided. I don't want to fill the scene with railway lines and urban development unlike Tetleys Mills, I want the buildings to be more low key but although Grand Victorian municipal buildings will not feature I may not resist some land grabbing if I see a West Riding scene crying out to be modelled  in years to come.

Now all I need is some sunshine to inspire me to occupy the railway room and a bit more energy, I'm setting up a turbo cycle trainer in our garden room so hopefully I can soon work on regaining my fitness.

Dave

Good to hear further news from you. I must apologise for referring to you in the past as a "nice man" as I realise what offence this must cause to someone born in Yorkshire, but I rest my case.

Power to your elbow!

Terry (from somewhere much further west)

Terry

There's no shame in being born west of the Pennines not everybody can be perfect! Actually I'm a life long supporter (Pre Munich 58) of United and I've actually lived in Lincolnshire a lot longer than Yorkshire and consider I'm almost a Yellow Belly but you never forget your roots.

The turbo trainer is now in use three times a day and I'm gradually increasing my training regime, I've gained a kilo or more this last fortnight so hopefully I can regain my muscle tone and overall fitness.

The sunshine has arrived here in Lincolnshire although it's still cool so my south facing railway room is a much more attractive venue and I'm on my way there shortly spurred on by Mrs Shakespeare who want's to see some progress on the new layout!

On that note I shall do as I'm told and make a start on re-positioning the baseboards.

Hen pecked of Ancaster

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Given your original prognosis I would say “henpecked” is a very happy state of affairs.  :mosking:  Like Mrs Shakespeare I am looking forward to progress in the railway room.

Chris

The first baseboard has been dismantled, it didn't give in without a struggle, I made it just too well but then I wasn't expecting to move it back in the autumn. I shall now work my way round the various modules and re-position them ready for the new smaller layout, energy levels restrict the amount of work but I'll just keep nibbling away and before we know it I'll be ready to start track laying.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think you should challenge Gordon S to a race Dave, he has got a head start on you but he keeps going off to ruin a walk each day nearly. Given a fair wind you could complete before him. For readers like me two advantages one you have plenty to write about and Gordon's competitive nature will get him moving.All the best. Mick 

I think you should challenge Gordon S to a race Dave, he has got a head start on you but he keeps going off to ruin a walk each day nearly. Given a fair wind you could complete before him. For readers like me two advantages one you have plenty to write about and Gordon's competitive nature will get him moving.All the best. Mick 

I don't mind competing with Gordon S on the 'dismantle and re-jig' the model railway front but there's no way I'm taking up golf, haven't I suffered enough recently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a morning free so I'll grab 15 minutes on the turbo trainer, if the chemo hadn't robbed me of my hair I could have been well on my way to growing a set of WIGGO Bradley Wiggins /Noddy Holder sideburns by now, after that I'll be back in the railway room with crow bar and hammerit's a pity to have to dismantle a completed set of baseboards but it will all be justified in due course.

'Wrecker' Shakespeare of Ancaster.

• RMweb Premium

I'm just glad to read that you're able to swing a hammer Dave - hopefully you'll be back to constructing before too long.

All the very best!

• RMweb Premium

In my defence I must stress at no point did I suggest a race to the tip, completion of the layout is the goal. As for golf it is only the fact that Gordon is a thoroughly decent human being that stops a rant about golf its players and their clubs.... I would no more advocate taking up golf than I would Herod's birth control technique.

In my defence I must stress at no point did I suggest a race to the tip, completion of the layout is the goal. As for golf it is only the fact that Gordon is a thoroughly decent human being that stops a rant about golf its players and their clubs.... I would no more advocate taking up golf than I would Herod's birth control technique.

I'm pretty sure there's the makings of a joke about golf, birth control and a hole-in-one in there somewhere Mick...

The circular baseboard has been sacrificed to The Rivet Counting God, it attracted no takers which I understand but I could wait and need the space, tomorrow is penned in for some more hammer work and dismantling of baseboard modules after which I can start to re-position and consider buying the necessary timber to raise the working height and finalise the track layout.

My fitness levels are improving but I expect a dip next week so I must make hay or is it forewood while the sun shines?

Dave

There's no shame in being born west of the Pennines not everybody can be perfect! Actually I'm a life long supporter (Pre Munich 58) of United .

Top modeller and a guy of impeccable taste too  :D

As someone who has inspired me in my quest for 'Northern Grot' I'd just like to say all the best with everything that's going on.

Cheers,

Mark.

There's northern grot and northern grot. Personally I draw the line at Lancashire grot and brick buildings but always found something attractive and nostalgic about West Riding of Yorkshire grot and stone structures. I look forward to seeing Tetley Mills Mk.III develop. Has a decision been made on the make of track yet?

There's northern grot and northern grot. Personally I draw the line at Lancashire grot and brick buildings but always found something attractive and nostalgic about West Riding of Yorkshire grot and stone structures. I look forward to seeing Tetley Mills Mk.III develop. Has a decision been made on the make of track yet?

Coachman,

I admire the brickwork, especially (I think) the Accrington semi engineering bricks that make up Lancarshire railway and municiple buildings as much as the stone found in parts of Yorkshire and my new layout will be based in the Batley area rather than nearer Dewsbury and although I need to make a journey to the area for a recce I suspect brickwork will be used a little more although my viaducts will remain in stone. I already have one and the other bridge /viaduct will use modules already cast and in stock. I've said I don't want too many items from Tetleys Mills on show but I want the layout up and running sooner rather than later and viaducts do take some making.

As for track. Since Gilbert has built his Peterborough North of which I have been privy to from the planning stage I have come to realise that since my next layout will probably be my last (not for any sinister reasons but I cannot see us moving from this new house) there should be no compromises so I hope to employ the same track standards as peterborough North. I intend to contact Norman Saunders and ask him to build my turnouts although I will lay them and use SMP plain track in the scenic areas. My storage tracks of which there will be 17 through loops plus some dead end spures for DMU / loco storage will use Peco, both code 75 and 100 because I have salvaged turnouts and plain track from Tetleys Mills 3 and it's cheaper and more robust than alternatives. My point motors in the storage area will be mounted above board for ease of instalation and servicing, I don't have to utilise every square inch of available space since my train formations will be more modest than Gilbert's ECML recreation. Like Gilbert I will have two way running on all loops so up trains will be used as return down workings and therefore be more realistic and more economical of stock.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Dave it was good of you to be so 'gentle' with Coach considering he mentioned 'T' :cry: I think your :spiteful:  mix and match 'T' plans are excellent  and very much the way forward. Having 'struggled' with EM for ages I have decided that when I eventually get round to doing some sort of 'trains in the landscape roundy, roundy'  it will be OO FS so thanks for the inspiration alongside PN and others.

Meanwhile I will retain my small EM diesel (oh, I do apologise :angry:  ) DCC sound exhibition set up as it is fun and creates a wonderful art installation in the Conservatory when stored :fie: .

Quick.

Mallard,

I joined the EM gauge society many years ago and it was worth the subscription fee for the excellent information sheets they supplied, I think if I was modelling modern image diesles from scratch and was prepared to make or have made turnoits I might consider the better and more realistic track width. Messing about with valve gear on steam locos is a step too far and I certainly wouldn't dispose of my OO stuff to go EM, I know you view Gilbert's Peterborough North and his track is reallistic enough in  OO as makes no difference.

Mallard

I make jokes about rivet counters but I admire anybody who can model to ultra fine standards, Tony Wright refers to my modelling as "The broad brush approach" and I'm not at all offended (he's a good friend anyway) and I totally agree with him. Birmingham New Street and Liverpool Lime Street are both outstanding none OO layouts built to ultra fine standards way beyond my abilities and I could spend an age trying and failing to match them so I take a different approach especially as I can't see ultra fine detail from 3' away normal viewing distance. If the overall effect looks right it is acceptable there's room out there for OO, EM and P4 oh, and HO as long as it looks realistic I'll admire it.

No work on the railway today, plumbers called this morning to sort out a couple of minor problems then phone calls to make but Mrs S. wants another bonfire so this weekend should see me demolishing and re-vamping the old baseboards if my scheduled lumber punctures tomorrow don't lay me low for a couple of days.

Pin cushion of Ancaster.

I forgot to mention, the new layout is already on paper and it will be based on a station built on a specially built 'direct' line from Bradford to the main Leeds Kings Cross line at Wrenthorpe Junction just north of Wakefield Westgate, the station serves an off stage junction for a direct line to Halifax from which through coaches arrive and depart. These through coaches are added to direct Bradford - Kings Cross trains at the station which is also the terminus for local trains from east of Wakefield, because the station was built specifically for the interchange of coaches / passengers local traffic is incidental and although a small town /village has developed in the area very few goods facilities are provided. I don't want to fill the scene with railway lines and urban development unlike Tetleys Mills, I want the buildings to be more low key but although Grand Victorian municipal buildings will not feature I may not resist some land grabbing if I see a West Riding scene crying out to be modelled  in years to come.

Now all I need is some sunshine to inspire me to occupy the railway room and a bit more energy, I'm setting up a turbo cycle trainer in our garden room so hopefully I can soon work on regaining my fitness.

Dave

This echoes an idea for a layout I had a while back which would have been a secondary line to Leeds/Bradford cutting across from Wrenthorpe and northwest near Kirkhamgate. There's a handily placed valley there just begging for a large village/small town.

Good luck with it all and I'm sure it'll be as inspirational as Tetley Mills.

Is the lumbar puncture going to give you a flat baseboard?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I hear they can leave you dizzy and with a headache, so I hope it goes well and doesn't. I've been enjoying your thread and look forward to further progress and your return to full health. Alan)

• RMweb Premium

Dave,

I'm glad you have put your decision about track standards and sources in writing, as I feared that you were having second thoughts, which I'm sure you would have regretted. Even with Peco track the last version of Tetley's Mills was amazing, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the combination of Norman's pointwork, better track and your inspired buildings and scenic work. And have no fear, I will help you to fill that fiddle yard. :yes: :devil: .......to overflowing. :D

Lumber puncture went OK, but along with all the other holes from blood tests I've been told not to swim for a while! No headaches and I managed to drive home since Julie twisted here ankle stepping off a Kerb,(she could have driven if I'd been crock).

I keep promising to do more work on the layout but we keep getting welcome but distracing visits from friends which takes priority over hammer work but Mrs. S. is champing at the bit for another bonfire so I really must crack on especially since Great Northern has promised to access his retirement fund to fill my storage tracks!

To AJ427.

As nippers we used to refer to Kirkhamgate as 'Kirkamplonk' but interesting to note there is a valley that might have attracted another route to Bradford.

Dave S.

Not really directly relevant to this thread but am going to post anyway.  Had a friend over last night and we dug out the BRM Video of Tetley Mills to watch.  Thoroughly enjoyed it even though it is the third or even perhaps the fourth time i have seen it.   Always manage to find something that I missed before, this time it was the "rusted" upper tender back end of a WD 2-8-0.  It is a really nice job and one which i can picture in my minds eye from the dim and distant past.  Looking forward to seeing the new layout.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to dismantle another couple of baseboards but the trouble is when I build something it's meant to last, and some of the screws just will not release without drilling them out and then there is the odd area where wood glue has fixed things together but

but I'm slowly getting there.

Mrs S. and I managed to get out yesterday afternoon and we made a visit to Tony and Mo Wright so I got a large dose of east

coast main line inspiration, Tony was kind enough to run some super main line trains through his Little Bytham master piece

and some M&GNR trains across the bridge to and from Bourne. I was even more pleased to note he has an Ivatt 2-6-0 that I re-numbered and weathered that he obtained from a mutual friend. An enjoyable afternoon and a reminder to use hand made turnouts on my own scenic areas.

I've now got to fix a puncture in the rear wheel of my road bike, not a problem normally but how did I get a puncture on a static bike secured on a turbo trainer indoors?

Deflated of Ancaster

Archived