Tetleys Mills 3

tetleys

The title of this topic is a bit of a misnomer since my new layout will NOT be called Tetleys Mills although it will still be West Riding steam and early diesel 1958-1963 ish.

Our new house only requires a few more days work by the carpenter to fix,doors, skirting and architrave and then it is ready for occupation although we shall not be moving in for some months but I now need to start work on our existing house and prepare it for sale. The existing railway room come garden room will become a new family lounge so the railway is being demolished and here are a few images of the devestation.

post-372-0-86403800-1329932390_thumb.jpg

[post-372-0-54702900-1329932459_thumb.jpg

post-372-0-78641200-1329932703_thumb.jpg

I have obviously removed, dusted down and packed away all locomotives and rolling stock although I've kept a rake of four BR suburban coaches and a couple of Ratio Midland coaches back to sell. Likewise all my buildings which I made removeable for occasional cleaning, usually before a photo shoot, I only lost a couple of old Linka plaster buildings and I'll 'cherry pick' from my collection for the new layout.

I don't understand Bloggs, although I've included one in the new cloakroom and three in the bathrooms, Twitter is what I assume budgies do and although I've got a Facebook account it was set up by my son to post pictures of the new house build. Therefore I'll keep those who might be interested in the new layout up to speed through this post on RMWeb.

• RMweb Premium

I am (was?) a big fan of Tetley Mills and as I am in the process of creating a grotty Northern mill town based layout, I will be watching this with interest, especially if / when you come to build and paint any new buildings.

Dave,

Good to hear from you again. However, I must admit that having seen the original, these pics just bring tears to my eyes. I trust that what replaces it will do justice. Oh for the "dark, satanic mills". Life as it REALLY was !!!!

regards,

gresley

• RMweb Premium

Seeing those photos is like watching the demolition of an old friend!

It was TM1 in Model Rail issue 1 that got me back into the hobby in 1997.

No doubt your new project will be even better, Dave. Good luck with the sale and new development!

Jeff

Seeing those photos is like watching the demolition of an old friend!

It was TM1 in Model Rail issue 1 that got me back into the hobby in 1997.

No doubt your new project will be even better, Dave. Good luck with the sale and new development!

Jeff

If Tetleys Mills inspired you to return to the hobby or indeed others to take up the hobby then it has been worthwhile but everybody can be assured the new layout will be as much a step forward as the recently demolished one was over that original that appeared in Model Rail issue 1 back in 1997 although the original was very much admired by team of woodworm.

My wife Julie and I have been totally wrapped up in our self build for the last two years since we are doing virtually all the work so, apart from the odd day off to eat Great Northern's bacon butties and check on his Peterborough North project I heven't had much time for modelling and even less to log into RMWeb.Now the house is finished I can ease up a little although come Spring I'll be 'back on the trowel' to build a six feet by 25m garden wall and there is a large area of drive and patio to pave. In the meantime I hope to get back into both modelling and RMWeb through this topic so I welcome input and questions.

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to believe it was 15 years ago, but TM1 had the desired effect of "kicking ass" and getting me re-started "playing trains".

I think that many of us remember the woodworm and the variants as the years went by. I must have at least 3 DVDs with Tetleys on - those "dark satanic mills".

Enjoy the bricklaying, and we await regular updates as your next Yorkshire masterpiece rises from the ashes!!

Jeff

Blimey Dave; it looks like a set from 28 Days Later. Give it a couple of days and it'll all be sorted at your rate of progress!

Andy,

Thanks for your show of confidence but 28 days might just be enough to dismantle the baseboards and recover any useable wire etc.I've salvage all but two turnouts and the un-ballasted code 100 track from the storage sidings, work below baseboard level is proving far more demanding than I recall from building it! Although I'm used to physical building work now I'm nearly 62 so crawling about and laying on my back whilst recovering point motors is very uncomfortable but at least our wood burning stove is keeping us warm with bits of baseboard while I type this.

Being on a ground floor the layout was built out of major bits of timber and able to withstand a minor thermo-nuclear blast and having been built piecemeal I used a lot of odd bits of wood, ply and a truck load of screws so dismantling it all is very time consuming. I do not intend to copy current construction methods but I may re-mill some of the timber for baseboard supports.I'll post another reply setting out my intended construction for the new layout.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I first came to this layout when Barden Road was on the cover of Model Rail 54 in April 2003, and it served as sufficient inspiration to subscribe to the magazine and get on with some proper modelling!!

That last pic is actually the first time I've seen an "aerial shot" of the whole layout as I've only ever seen the wonderful close-up or carefully-angled shots in the various magazines; very sad to think I won't get to see it as was...

Very much looking forward to the new layout though; strapped in and ready for the ride :locomotive:

Always sad seeing a layout come down, but as you say, the new layout will be just as much a step forward, although your original is the kind of standard I hope to maybe achieve.

Looking forward to watching this one develop! :)

Cheers

Tom

Its enough to make a grown man cry :bye: :cry:

What he said!

Seriously though, it'll be good to see the new one develop Dave. I know how theraputic dismantling an old layout and breathing new life into it really is, but it's a long old slog!

I remember right back in 1996 when Model Rail issue 1 came out and it got me seriously thinking about what I wanted to do, so I do hope this new one (whatever you decide to name it) keeps us all going!

Cheers,

Tim

I think it's an opportune time to send the old girl off with some snaps from just under 3 years ago.

TMviaductbkgrnd.jpg

Well done Dave, it's a layout that figures in many people's thoughts. Here's to #3!

Andy,

Thanks for posting those iconic images, I'm just logging on while I enjoy my breakfast cuppa and 'hopefully' await the joiner, he's working on the ground floor but soon I hope to see the new railway room completed with skirting, architrave and a 'locking door' (forget Taliban and 'Billy Burglar' we've got six grandkids!) I have the birch ply on site and soon the serious job of constructing baseboards will begin.

Although I built the railway room with joists 25% deeper, 50% wider and spaced at 400mm instead of 600mm centres I want to keep point weight to a minimum so I will use a ply sandwich for the majority of the work and probably solid but minimal cross section timber supports although I will ensure strength, rigidity and stability will not be compromised.I've just watched the Lotus Mega factory on tele so I now know all there is to know about such matters.

The process of demolishing the old layout is certainly bringing home the fact that we cannot stop the ageing process and I am planning added features and construction methods that will hopefully make work easier, even if additional cost is incurred. I cannot consider DCC because of the number of locos in my fleet but I know from visiting Great Northern over the years that even DCC doesn't work with only two wires so wiring every point, section and isolating break will entail a lot of kneeling and stooping. Access and pre-machined holes in the sub-base will be a priority.

I have lots of ideas but I want to keep each reply relatively short and readable so I'll drip feed what I've been working on these past two years whilst my brain would otherwise

have been in neautral during boring jobs.

Dave

P.S. No sign of the joiner, now you know why Julie and I choose to undertake most of the building ourselves.

No pressure at all but do you have a track plan for the new dark satanic mills?

I do not have Templot although I know a couple of friends who have but such technology would be lost on us here at 'Neanderthal City' however since Lidls were selling school kid's supplies I invested in some pretty coloured pens and I dug out my 'O'Level maths compass set and a set of cheap French Curves from Rapid to create this recipe for 'Spag Bol'.

Hang on, where's the stuff on the bottom of the screen that lets me add an image????????????

Well Dave I am almost in tears, :stinker: It really is sad to see such a quality layout reduced to rubble just like the real thing, but a big thanks to Andy Y for posting some images I have not seen before. I have most Mag articles as insperation and I am looking forward to the next chapter in this Shakesperian trillogy. So I guess the new one wont be running by Easter then? :no: All the best and thanks again for such great insperation, Andy.

Archived