The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Olympics 2012-What do You Really Think?

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

.... (I trust that your organizers have not hired the same ticket agents that the '96 Committee did-specifcally those who thought that the state of New Mexico was in Central America).

I was wondering if anyone trying to stay near the stadium has booked into the other Stratford.

Less than chuffed about it all really, it will just reinforce the London bias for world class sport going forward. For example, currently any world class cycling or swimming takes place in Manchester, Sheffield or Glasgow, but they will want to get their money's worth out of the London venues, so it will be goodbye to any events in the provinces.

Guest Max Stafford

One thing that bugs me about all the largesse applied to this project;A fraction of the cost would have given the Borderers a decent railway again that connected them with both Edinburgh and Carlisle that could have been well on the way to completion by now.

Just sayin'...

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I was wondering if anyone trying to stay near the stadium has booked into the other Stratford.

I did have one foreign (I think they were Spanish but I can't remember for sure) couple who came up to me one day and wanted to know where William Shakespeare's house was. I had to break the news to them that they were a hundred or so miles too far East :scratchhead:

To be honest I do wonder about the urge to release sentiments of negativity towards this (you can add in topics about reality TV, contemporary music, royal weddings blah blah). Ok, some may not be looking forward to it, feel negative about the financial aspects etc but I think it's also important to recognise that this is part of history in the making. Every Olympics produce stories and memories and for once it's closer to home, the penalty for that is we see the over-exposure but beneath that is that it is a date in history and who knows what stories may come from it. Sure it's over-(initial)budget and not convenient for everyone but I'd like to think it'll show that the UK isn't as down and out as some other nations may feel at the moment and that we can actually have some pride in the event, the sports-people who've fought to be on the world's biggest stage and say "we were there", even if it was only in front of the TV.

After that we can change to being miserable about something else. ;)

Yes, the money could have been spent on this, that, and the other, but the vast amount of corporate sponsorship which is underlining much of the event's total cost wouldn't have come from anywhere else. The total cost spent on the Olympics isn't indicative of the money being poured into it from sources who otherwise wouldn't put the money forward.

I'm just hoping as much of the Fencing is on the telly as is humanly possible (but if anyone has any fencing tickets they don't want...!!!

Well, as much as I am skeptical about the Olympics (winter OR summer), anywhere. I do enjoy watching some of the events. I don't know who is masterminding the broadcasts (the Beeb perhaps?), but I do hope the coverage is well distributed and fair I remember one Olympic games held in the US, where the US broadcaster would break away from a championship duel between (say) the Russian and Ukrainian contenders in a major event to focus on an American contestant in an opening heat of a "minor" sport... Very uneven and biased coverage.

Understandably, many were unhappy as one of the highlights of the Olympics is watching the best of the best fight to the finish.

I also wonder about the timing of the events, will they start late in the day so that it's convenient for foreign broadcasters (and their advertising revenue)?

F

• RMweb Premium

I am a bit ambivalent about this, I want it to go right for all those people who have put their heart and soul into it contestants, officials, coaches, referees and the rest involved in it as an event. I will not watch synchronised swimming or diving willingly but other than that most sports are watchable. The big fear I have is the ceremonies will be overdone or not ring true in some way. The other problem is the politicians who will try and extract kudos from any British sucess while still allowing building over sports fields.

Archived