The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Olympics 2012-What do You Really Think?

edcayton

Guest Max Stafford

Am I the only one who thinks the London 2012 logo appears to portray an indecent act?

Dave.

Am I the only one who thinks the London 2012 logo appears to portray an indecent act?

Dave.

Depends if you watch The Simpsons ........

As to the Olympics I dont care one way or the other - As Gary Lineker once said of Wimbledon FC "If they held it on my lawn, I'd shut the curtains"

But I know a lot of people really do like that sort of thing, so its good for the spirit - take up of sports increases after such events, so its good for the body too

That gives it about an 8/10 from me :)

True, but Stratford had under/un-used land readily available which wouldn't have been the case with Dalston unless it had received that nuking ;) The transport potential is better too.

Yes, Stratford only used to have a big railway depot and one of the largest marshalling yards, community housing and shops. Who needs any of that when you can have empty stadia, elite housing and Westfield?

Also, being already one of the busiest transport hubs, there is very little "potential" for increased volumes.

Dave.

It's possibly my evil imagination, but it suggests a range of possibilities depending on one's viewpoint.

Now, had the OP been what mark would you give the cartoon mascots out of ten, the hideous and inane Mandeville and Wenlock would have scored well into the minus values.

Likewise the range that official tat partner Hornby is hawking for the season. I've never seen such cynical overpriced junk churned out of such fully depreciated tooling in my life.

Disclaimer: this contribution may contain liberally altered facts for emphatic effect. The Scalextric Velodrome tooling won't be fully depreciated yet, even if the Corgi taxi most definitely is.

Guest Belgian

I just think all talk about the Olympics (except Titanic of course) should be banned from RMweb - they have nothing to do with railway modelling!

JE

I just think all talk about the Olympics (except Titanic of course) should be banned from RMweb - they have nothing to do with railway modelling!

Nor does anything else in Wheeltappers - that's what it's for!

• RMweb Premium

I was in John Lewis at Westfield the other week looking for the sports department; I ended up in the Olympic merchandise section on the top floor which contained the most hideous load of overpriced garbage in a huge room which was completely deserted!! The proper sports stuff had been moved to the opposite side of the store, which is where I found people interested in equipment and clothing for real sporting events...

Yes, Stratford only used to have a big railway depot and one of the largest marshalling yards, community housing and shops.

Most of the railway activity you mention had long gone before the project started, so i'm not sure how misty eyed you should get over derelict land and factories getting cleared for the project. The majority of the Olympic site was ex-industrial wasteland sandwiched between the various railway lines. The land that Westfield stands on was some engineers sidings which I suspect had been out of use since privatisation. The only active bit of railway shut for it I think was the carriage sidings, which have been relocated a short distance away?

You can also counter that with a large chunk of infrastructure being added which is being used by an active and growing railway and which would have been a lot harder to acheive without the impetus of the 'limpics to make it happen...new goods loops, new platforms, an expanded Bow goods, a new aggregates terminal to the North, the untangling and refurb of the NLL...

Pretty sure Stratford still features a fair amount of community housing and shops too.

If the Westfield mall is anything like it's counterpart on the other side of London then i'm not sure the local shops in Stratford should have too much to worry about, my impression is that if you're shopping for Gucci handbags then it's perfect, for anything else you might as well be somewhere else...

Also, being already one of the busiest transport hubs, there is very little "potential" for increased volumes.

Maybe, maybe not.

The normal commuter rush is into Liverpool St in the AM and out in the PM, 'Limpic passengers will likely be doing the opposite so I think that increase is plausible - that's if they aren't using the extended trains on the DLR, or the brand new DLR route, or the other bits which probably increase volume a bit...Okay not much you can do about the Central line but you can't have everything. We'll find out for sure in a few months anyhow.

Guest Natalie Graham

JE

Modelmaking was an event in the earliest of modern olympics. Maybe we should campaign for its re-instatement.

Dave.

The organisers obviously think so. Bart has gradually shrunk in size since it first appeared and is now only just taller than Lisa. The two mascots have a somewhat dubious appearance too...

All the money wasted on this commercial farce would have paid for a good chunk of HS2.

0/10 Wasn't twice already enough for London to host the games?

• RMweb Premium

If they were running the 100m in my back garden, they'd be going round in circles a lot, that or running on the spot! :jester:

As for the Olympics themselves, as a resident of the area since 2004, I've been living in building site hell for the last six years. It certainly hasn't been a pleasant experience. I see the stadium and various other parts of the site almost every day when I go for exercise walks along the canal and to be brutally honest I've seen enough already. I'll be keeping out of the way of it all as best I can. I can see that the regeneration of the site itself and the surrounding brown fields will ultimately be good for the area, culminating in the Crossrail completion in 2016-17 or whenever it's supposed to start running. But if I could get out now I would, it's just not an area that's worth living in and I wish I'd never come here. D*mn this bl**dy recession.

• RMweb Gold

At the moment I'm probably mildly negative about all the Olympic stuff but as with holidays (I don't enjoy all the planning) I'm sure I'll enjoy it more at the time. My wife works in Stratford and this year has to take 2 weeks of her annual leave while the Olympics are taking place. We would have liked the last two weeks for family reasons (accompany son to Canada) but all this means is that we will probably be a long way from any of the Olympic venues (including the mountain bike event being held locally).

For some reason all I can remember watching from the last Olympics was rowing, something I probably haven't watched before or since!

Having lived through the horror show in Atlanta in 1996 of the same name, I'd strongly suggest anyone anywhere near any venue pack up and head for a nice far-distant location for the duration. (I trust that your organizers have not hired the same ticket agents that the '96 Committee did-specifcally those who thought that the state of New Mexico was in Central America).

Best Wishes--Carl

Archived