looking for a challenge

hi chaps,

looking for a challenge, but not brighton!

anything southern considered, suitable to run most of the current Hornby SR stock, esp pacifics

around 1955 ish

size will be 18' X 4', could squeeze to 5', will probably have to be broken down during the week, but track, and foundation buildings will remain on board, so big gradients are probably out

preferably with a shed, cattle docks, and the more lines the better

so far hastings, seems to tick most of the boxes

any one else got any ideas?

what would you do?

:no:

ahhh :(

we have:

5 pacifics mostly early crest

2 arthurs early crest

3 schools 2 black early, one later

3 M7s one early southern, 2 black early

2 Q1s black (lol)

a N1 black early crest

a P not sure

a G6 southern

a A1x southern

a T9 southern

loads of pre war maunsells in olive green, and later maunsells in both green and red and cream, 10 pullmans and 10 Br mk 1s, so a good range of rolling stock, just need a good location to get it it all on.

something that will get the best out of the locos, without looking too busy.

looking into lots of plans, where i can find them, and drawing up ideas

• RMweb Gold

How about something like Tonbridge? Pacifics on the boat trains including the Golden Arrow, King Arthurs on trains to Dover whilst the Schools can take the trains down the Hastings line. There were always lots of Q1s at Tonbridge too, plus M7s coming in from Tunbridge Wells. The N1 was also specificially designed for the Tonbridge-Hastings line.

hiya chaps, ,

hmmm, they're all superb suggestions.

dont think i can do bournemouth, just not enough room, i would rather get evrything in, or not at all... and the bournemouth platforms are huuuuuggge!

tonbridge looks particularly good, i've got a map of around the right era, and more than likely will fit in the space i have, as i have for dorchester, not sure the width of dorchester would fit in the width i have available at 4-5 feet.?

but guildford...that looks a challenge indeed, seen some awesome pics on flicker, just abbout every class of loco i can imagine, esp the Q's and Q1's, and plenty of N's

even that ugly USA 0-6-0 T .

cant seem to get a track plan for guildford though, so unsure if it will width ways, its got evrything else though, including the southern round house, sweet :)

anyone got a track plan for guildford?

great suggestions guys, will be looking into all of these

thank you

• RMweb Gold

Though I like the idea of Dorchester the shed was a bit empty by 1955 and very very derelict. I remember, vaguely, watching it being demolished.

OFF TOPIC!

Thanks for that Kenton, because you have filled in a gap for me. I used to share an office with a chap who'd been Shedmaster at Dorchester - but I had no idea the place had closed a decade before steam's demise on the route. He and I should have talked more of those days!

• RMweb Gold

OFF TOPIC!

Thanks for that Kenton, because you have filled in a gap for me. I used to share an office with a chap who'd been Shedmaster at Dorchester - but I had no idea the place had closed a decade before steam's demise on the route. He and I should have talked more of those days!

Still O/T but that was a mistake you were not alone in making with some of our predecessors

OFF TOPIC!

and still :offtopic: Dorchester's "lean to" wooden shed extension on the south side had all but collapsed by 1955 the asbestos roof a shambles. By 1957 the lot came down. Really too young [8] to remember much in detail my father having worked many years before in the Dorchester West signal box had an affection for the place so we had a ringside seat in the coal yard. I really only remember it as being very dusty (coal, dirt, asbestos?).

thats pretty useful kenton, i got a hard copy of the shed area, can work out the station platforms, but...jesus there is a LOT of stuff further north, according to the '31 map, that i had no idea was there

....hmmmm maybe, with a 5' baseboard, i think i may be hard pushed to get any of it in...i'll give it go with anyrail, and see what happens.

station master, what you got in mind?, as i've thought about both of those you've mentioned....

ok, have had a quick play about with any rail

pretty close, considering i'm using the peco code 75, needs tweaking...but very quickly running out of spaceGUILDFORD.jpg

so far this is the southern end of the map that i've got available, so its the shed, and below that the southern lines, to the right, there is a road going across, and beyond that the stataion proper, which i haven't got plans for :(

Not a Southern fan myself (though I have a couple of Southern pacifics - nice looking locos), but if I was I would model Barnstaple Jcn & / or Ilfracombe. Was there in 1963, aged 11, before beeching "got to it". 4 routes out of town back then, busy place too.

Quite a bit of your stock wouldn't be right here, though the pacifics, M7, T9 & pullmans etc should be OK. You can run a bit of GWR stuff as well.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Eastbourne? Crikey - where did you find that? 45 years ago, many were rocked on their heels when Mrs Vivien Thompson produced a superb OO model of Pre-Grouping Eastbourne, fiddly station roof, signalbox, the lot. If you can match her work then you will have "arrived"!

hiya dudders, cant remmember where i got it exactly, being saving berzillions of images to work from various locations, and its got cob webbed away somewhere....did manage to get a similar layout for charing and brighton. The biggest problem with this though, is there is no scale, so no real base line to work....

EASTBOURNE.jpg

have started to do a plan from what i had, but already running into problems,

1, there are 3, i think double slips, in the central throat area, look easy enough until you start to interpret them, then it goes a bit skewwiff.

2, the siding at the bottom of the diagram, sort of fissles out, idont know where it goes to, same the goods yard at the top left, and a line that comes off the turntable to the right 3, the plan is obviuosly lbsc, so is about 30 years previous to what i want, so i have no idea how the plans may have expanded or contracted

4, my internet is playing up....arggggghh,

and finally 5, i think there may of been a shed...but, its not marked on the above map , and i dont know what it looked like, how big it was, i got a feeling it may have been a half round, got a picture from around 1908, it says eastbourne, but i've got no reference point for it

1, there are 3, i think double slips, in the central throat area, look easy enough until you start to interpret them, then it goes a bit skewwiff.

2, the siding at the bottom of the diagram, sort of fissles out,  idont know where it goes to, same the goods yard at the top left, and a line that comes off the turntable to the right 3, the plan is obviuosly lbsc, so is about 30 years previous to what i want, so i have no idea how the plans may have expanded or contracted

4, my internet is playing up....arggggghh,

and finally 5, i think there may of been a shed...but, its not marked on the above map , and  i dont know what it looked like, how big it was, i got a feeling it may have been a half round, got a picture from around 1908, it says eastbourne, but i've got no reference point for it

1. Double slips are unlikely - expensive and harder to maintain - though not ruled out

2. the unsignalled areas - like for example in the goods yard - will not be on a signal diagram ?

3. Once again try to find an OS map of sufficient scale. for around the chosen date. I suspect you are correct in thinking that many changes were made between 1930's and 1950's.

5.The history of Eastbourne shed is quite interesting, however by 1955 just about everything had been demolished and the turntable removed. A lot can happen in 30 years. BTW you need the diagram from the West Box to complete the picture with the shed in place at the time, no I don't have it.

theoldmansminion,

You can see a glimpse of the northern end of guildford here http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/srn/R121.htm ; the signalling record society has an huge archive of this stuff.

If you do get to build a model of guildford, methinks you will need about a dozen people to operate it. Somewhere, there is an excellent SR publicity photo, showing three simultaneous electric departures to Waterloo, one via each route, and there was probably a down passenger and a couple of goods trains on the move too.

Regards, OS

• 2 months later...

Hi

Have only just found this thread and would like to add that in Guildford Museum, in Quarry Street, there is a layout of Guildford station (looks to be in OO) which has ben donated to them. I'm not sure what era it is but it shows the shed and the coaling station and all the station buildings. It certainly jogs the memory of old when I used to use the trains to go to school.

I hope this is of some use.

Regards

ahhh :(

we have:

5 pacifics mostly early crest

2 arthurs early crest

3 schools 2 black early, one later

3 M7s one early southern, 2 black early

2 Q1s black (lol)

a N1 black early crest

a P not sure

a G6 southern

a A1x southern

a T9 southern

loads of pre war maunsells in olive green, and later maunsells in both green and red and cream, 10 pullmans and 10 Br mk 1s, so a good range of rolling stock, just need a good location to get it it all on.

something that will get the best out of the locos, without looking too busy.

looking into lots of plans, where i can find them, and drawing up ideas

Have a look at Corfe castle in Dorset. Only the Arthurs I think did not run there at sometime. I am sure I have seen S15's so you could make up the story. There were always summer Saturday seaside specials.

There is also a small goods yard with shed and cattle dock. As a passing staion there is always a good excuse for 2 trains in the station at once.

• 1 year later...

Archived