The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Just Thinking

edcayton

I have been pontificating about the almighty mess my generation has, or will have, left to the next. Huge debts, unaffordable housing, and the probability of having to work until they drop to keep us into what is predicted to be a ripe old age. I am very lucky because both my sons at least have jobs.

Is it maybe time to stop spending a fortune on new models (tempting though it is) as I've got loads to build, restore/re-vamp and play with, and on yet more lovely railway books when I haven't actually READ (as opposed to look at pictures and captions) most of those I've got?

Don't know what to do with the money though. My shares have already lost their value. Can't afford property and anyway there must surely be a crash. Put it into accounts that earn less than 1% (or will after the honeymoon period)?

Maybe take a punt and buy some vintage Hornby/Dublo, or another old MG? Any thoughts?

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Maybe take a punt and buy some vintage Hornby/Dublo, or another old MG? Any thoughts?

Nah - just get a limited edition model and bang it on ebay next week............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

China - but make sure you buy the right stuff in order to hold value.

Some antiques are back in fashion but the market swings and changes so it isn't really a safe bet.

Wine?? (and you can always drown your sorrows if you make the wrong choice)

Vintage Hornby Dublo has picked up a bit in price lately so perhaps not currently a good bet? Wrenn holds its price very well but is not cheap. Some 1950s/60s accessory ranges are starting to edge up in price - provided they're in original boxes or packaging - probably a good bet at present but it won't take much cash compared with other areas.

I'm not sure about woodlands or other land as some will simply hold their value rather than provide good appreciation but woodland which can be 'worked' (coppicing etc) is probably not too bad a bet and you could always rent it out for paintballing games.

Archived