The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

I think there is about 36 active 47s so no there isnt more 60s than 47s-they should be though!

Why does DBS keep trying to switch between 59 and 60 haulage on the LBT-FFPS diagram when 60s are just as suited if not better for this job?

Keep the 59/2s where they belong - on South West aggregate trains! :lol:

60096 failed on Tuesday morning on 6A11 Robeston - Theale. It was dragged most of the way by a 66, and returned today (6B33) nearly a day late. Not sure what the state of the tug is, or what will be happening with 6B33 tomorrow, well today now.

A happier tug moment on Tuesday (2nd Nov) saw 60063 with 6B13 Robeston - Westerleigh, rolling along the single line leading to the terminal

post-6899-082741700 1288829733_thumb.jpg

An alternative angle, with the train coming over the foot crossing is here http://joalder.fotopic.net/p67964008.html

The developments with 60007 sound very interesting, here's hoping it's a success and leads to a squadron overhaul (albeit only part of the fleet) as planned

cheers

jo

• RMweb Premium

Is it the 'end of the tugs' after all? :P

That's exactly what I was thinking reading this lot - perhaps the thread should be renamed "Tugs Reborn" as it looks as if there's going to be a few around for a while more.

Oddly, this tug chasing reminds me a lot of Black 5 chasing in 1967!

• RMweb Gold

As Stu says - and he knows - 60s fail as well.

Good news that the LBT needs 3 locos for the diagram, with the freightliner stuff too the guys at Strand Road will be working their socks off

The JMAs (ex NP hoppers) arrived on 24 January 2001, 60004 worked the first rake around Fiddlers, I was working in Warrington and was given permission to leave work to get it ! 60095 worked later the same day to the LBT as 6P50, 15:05, FFPS - LBT, first visit to the LBT. 60033 worked the first scheduled service on 11/06/2001 (the others were trials), I was lucky enough to catch this too - heading to work I noticed a signal at clear at Arpley Junction and parked up, and 60033 came round the corner ! - again work gave me permission to go in late so I waited for it to run round and got more shots as it worked 7F89, LBT - FFPS.

I first photographed HTAs on the circuit on 17/06/2002 when 66225 took 6F89, 05:16, LBT - FFPS, this was one of the first workings but not the first, back in those days I had a permit to photograph in Liverpool docks and used to visit frequently so I got very friendly with the shunters who helped with tip offs

The HAAs (and variations) fell out of favour around 2008 but Stu will probably know better, it passed me by as my permit was withdrawn many years ago due to American pressure after 9/11 :(

Heads up for those in this neck of the woods - 60010 is currently at Appleford. It should work back to Whatley this afternoon via Swindon, Chippenham and Westbury. Normally 15.00 - 15.30 at Chippenham

cheers

jo

As Stu says - and he knows - 60s fail as well.

Good news that the LBT needs 3 locos for the diagram, with the freightliner stuff too the guys at Strand Road will be working their socks off

The JMAs (ex NP hoppers) arrived on 24 January 2001, 60004 worked the first rake around Fiddlers, I was working in Warrington and was given permission to leave work to get it ! 60095 worked later the same day to the LBT as 6P50, 15:05, FFPS - LBT, first visit to the LBT. 60033 worked the first scheduled service on 11/06/2001 (the others were trials), I was lucky enough to catch this too - heading to work I noticed a signal at clear at Arpley Junction and parked up, and 60033 came round the corner ! - again work gave me permission to go in late so I waited for it to run round and got more shots as it worked 7F89, LBT - FFPS.

I first photographed HTAs on the circuit on 17/06/2002 when 66225 took 6F89, 05:16, LBT - FFPS, this was one of the first workings but not the first, back in those days I had a permit to photograph in Liverpool docks and used to visit frequently so I got very friendly with the shunters who helped with tip offs

The HAAs (and variations) fell out of favour around 2008 but Stu will probably know better, it passed me by as my permit was withdrawn many years ago due to American pressure after 9/11 :(

A very informative response B)

What type of permit did you have,could you go around Arpley yard?

How about DBS red?

Cheers,

Mick

Sounds nice Mick, and here's hoping it's more than just the one that ends up getting done. Nothing in this game is certain until it's happened :lol:

Here's tug 10 in the rain today on 6C48 Appleford - Whatley, passing Langley Burrell near Chippenham. Whilst the 59s are nice (a real local landmark) a tug is top in my book!

post-6899-077544500 1288998168_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

60019 and 60059 at Arpley this morning. 60013 passes by with 6F74 Liverpool Bulk Terminal - Fidlers Ferry.

Nice one! Three tugs in one shot - and it's not at Toton :lol: All different liveries too. Here's hoping the 60 becomes mundane again - in a good way.

Today 60074 worked a local engineers train, from Westbury to the worksite on the single line to Thingley, then to Swindon for a run round and then back to Westbury. Due to early running I missed the outward shot by seconds, but here it is returning near Lacock, a couple of hundred metres north of the worksite. The portable floodlights parked against the lineside fence are from this work, and a pair of road rail excavators were parked up out of shot too. It'd be an interesting scene to model, along with the discarded food and wrappers present.

post-6899-064781400 1289163061_thumb.jpg

cheers

jo

• Like 1

Here we are again. Same loco, same strectch of line, just a mile or so further north :lol:

post-6899-092238600 1289333187_thumb.jpg

60074 is seen at Thingley Junction with 7C54 Oxford Banbury Road - Whatley quarry empty stone 9/11/10. It was cold and dull, but the loco sounded ace and was powering well. For the wagon fans, this is the same set 60010 used last Friday on the Appleford stone, formed of VTG green ex Railtrack JNA boxes (34xx), Mendip Rail JNAs (39xx) and Yeoman O&K JYAs (32xx/33xx)

I've noticed 60074 has lost Shaun from the front handrail since my photo of it at the end of September - he hung on for a few weeks though!

cheers

jo