RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

Now as EWS is absorbed into the European wide DBS empire, it seems odd that they would send up to 40 UK based 66s to Poland as couldnt DBS supply traction for Poland from another country it operates in,a country closer to Poland like Germany for example. Having said that UK freight traffic was hit hard from the recent recession and there hasnt exactly been plenty of work for DBS UKs 66s, according to WNXX.com 12 66s have been stored on Dec 23rd,so I suppose It would make sense to redeploy these modern assets elsewhere. Although another option would be to send some of the stored 90s/92s to work on Polish electrified lines to partially solve the traction problem??

DB Schenker isn't over-endowed with modern diesels in Germany. Voith is starting to deliver Gravita heavy shunters and there's a tender out for mainline diesels, but much of the fleet is pretty long-in-the-tooth. Also, 66s already have approval to operate in Poland so the EWS locos would be ready to go with only a few minor modifications (interesting to note that Freightliner is also shipping some 66s out to Poland, according to WNXX). Sending 90s or 92s to Poland would involve going through the convoluted type approval process, and in contrast with the diesel situation, DB is not short of modern electric power at the moment.

Anyway, fewer 66s has to be good news for enthusiasts B)

Hi

Its been a while since I last had a look on this thread,nice videos Beast66606 ;). Its good to see the remaining 60s limp on into 2011. There is some new pictures on fotopic showing 60007 being shunted at Toton,looks like its overhaul is well underway. Now as EWS is absorbed into the European wide DBS empire, it seems odd that they would send up to 40 UK based 66s to Poland as couldnt DBS supply traction for Poland from another country it operates in,a country closer to Poland like Germany for example. Having said that UK freight traffic was hit hard from the recent recession and there hasnt exactly been plenty of work for DBS UKs 66s, according to WNXX.com 12 66s have been stored on Dec 23rd,so I suppose It would make sense to redeploy these modern assets elsewhere. Although another option would be to send some of the stored 90s/92s to work on Polish electrified lines to partially solve the traction problem??

Regards

Lewis

Lewis - I think you'll find that Poland is an odd voltage for electric locos.

I think it is a DC system similar to that used by the DC systems in the Czech and Slovak republics.

That is why indigenous British electric locos could only find use in Hungary and Bulgaria and maybe Romania, as well as parts of France. The German/Austrian/Swiss system is 15kv AC

• RMweb Premium

just thought I would add this shot of 60084 passing Plumley box on a late running

6H03 taken 1st December 10. 60039 which was a regular performer on these trains is now over at Toton,

hopefully it will return in the New Year.

Andy

post-7052-0-84418200-1293805453_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My last tug of 2010.

31 December 2010

Edge Lane Junction, Edge Hill, Liverpool

60045, The Permanent Way Institution, on 6F78, 11:30, Fiddlers Ferry Power Station - Liverpool Bulk Terminal empty HTAs

post-6662-0-69145100-1293819733_thumb.jpg

My last tug of 2010.

31 December 2010

Edge Lane Junction, Edge Hill, Liverpool

60045, The Permanent Way Institution, on 6F78, 11:30, Fiddlers Ferry Power Station - Liverpool Bulk Terminal empty HTAs

And is now OJO to Toton after working 6F88 FF-WOJ later...

Type 5 power for shunting duties?

What on earth are they shunting at Eastleigh! :D

Its quite common.

From recent memory 60's have been used on the Sandiacre shunt job and also at Scunthorpe.

freightliner did it with 47's - there was one of the ex FGW duffs at Dagenham used for shunting. IIRC it had a few TM's isolated.

I have a question. Why do I sometimes see a class 60 on the Ipswich line coming through Bury on what looks to be gravel wagons but may be coal. The past couple of times I have been too far away to get a number or a good look at the wagons. Both 60's I have seen have been ews liveried ones but I have also seen many Sheds with rmc wagons.

any help would be nice?

Lukasz

There is a rail served cement works just outside Norwich - not sure if it is still rail served, but the tracks are in place. It's been a while since gone that way. That might explain the RMC branded wagons.

There is also a small yard within the the immediate area of Norwich station which handles some form of raw material - I recall seeing Cemex lorries in the area. I've often seen a 66 shunting wagons here - the consist is split in two as the siding isn't long enough. This train heads towards Ely via Thetford. I often see it go through Attleborough around 3pm.

60040 looks set to replace 60045 on the LBT coal circuit.

Both 60040 & 60045 worked the LBT to Fiddlers Ferry circuit today.

post-8699-0-24623600-1294072774_thumb.jpg

60040 at Winwick Junction on 3rd January 2010 working 6F74 1211 Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Fiddlers Ferry.

post-8699-0-08626700-1294072845_thumb.jpg

60045 at Warrington Latchford on 3rd January 2010 working 6F78 1130 Fiddlers Ferry to Liverpool Bulk Terminal

More pictures from today at http://www.mark5812.fotopic.net/c1929220.html

Mark

http://www.mark5811.fotopic.net

http://www.mark5812.fotopic.net

http://www.mark5814.fotopic.net

There is a "virtual quarry" actually in Norwich station on the left as you come in but yes there is also Cemex yard on the right as you come in from Ely way. The thing is this is on the Ipswich line. So anything would have to be that way. The train is usually Ews 66 coming through Bury St Edmunds about 4pmish on weekdays.

I will try to get a better look when I'm there in the week.

Lukasz

• RMweb Gold

Both 60040 & 60045 worked the LBT to Fiddlers Ferry circuit today.

60040 at Winwick Junction on 3rd January 2010 working 6F74 1211 Liverpool Bulk Terminal to Fiddlers Ferry.

60045 at Warrington Latchford on 3rd January 2010 working 6F78 1130 Fiddlers Ferry to Liverpool Bulk Terminal

Mark

I got those two - and 60010 off to Crewe light engine B) - I will post photos when I get them sorted out. (I was at Walton Old)

Something pale blue rumbled past my southbound train between Bromsgrove and Ashchurch with a train of tankers at about 1.30pm today. Would that be 60074 heading for Lindsey?

074 was booked on V98 so possibly yes!

• RMweb Premium

Here a shot of 60040 being removed from 6F89 at Warrington bank Quay. 66020 removed the 60 after

its train was propelled into the sidings. I ve also attached a shot of 60015 on the Oakleigh-Tunstead empties

this morning.

post-7052-0-96959900-1294158088_thumb.jpg

post-7052-0-26064300-1294158370_thumb.jpg

• Like 1