Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Fall & Rise of the 60's ( was The End of the Tugs?)

I would assume that overhauling is part of the process. Why go to the expense of paint and vinyls on a loco destinded for store? As several 66's are to be done as well i assume they are E or F exam booked.

Ill see him again next week so will give them a nudge and see if i can get some numbers, or better still a trip around toton (i almost managed that today)

Was '011 overhauled - I didn't think so ?

The 37s were painted because they had a number of railtours to do and, presumably, DBS were not happy for numerous photos to appear of their locos in knackered/faded EWS red.

I am surprised they are not overhauling a handful of 37s for routes that have the lower RA. Basically giving up on doing an engineering trains on these routes entirely - I guess the maths didn't add up.

DB are overhauling some clss 60's as some of the 66's may be going to Poland.Class 59 will be used on the Robeston Theale.Westerleigh turns. 6B13 6A11.Tests are being done this week with a class 66 on standby.

66011 has been painted but you need to get the bit between the cabs working right first :lol:

It failed recently after a speed probe fault.well it lasted a few weeks anyway

The class 60 will out pull a 66 so are great for the heavy trains.

The class 66's are good but are showing their age now.

well the 66s are almost a decade younger than the 60s.

I would think DBS are overhauling 60s more because they need something reliable on the heaviest trains, rather than because some 66s are heading to poland.

DBS will in future to hire in DRS 37/4s for engineering trains which cant be operated by 66s. It works out cheaper to hire in DRS tractors on an 'as when needed' basis than keeping operational a small fleet of their own 37/4s. DRS could use this to their advantage to charge higher fees for hiring their 37s ;)

I would have thought the 59/2s would need an overhaul as they are 14/15 years old and havent been given any major attention since EWS bought the National Power operations in 1998.

If I may be so bold and chip in,

The National Power 59s was very very well looked after by the engineers at Ferrybridge Depot and the diagrams these loco's worked was not as punishing as the ones operated by the Mendip Pool in contrast the trains the National Power loco's worked was quite light in comparison and every weekend until they was send down south the loco's had a 'B' exam.

I don't know what work now gets carried out on the loco's at Whatley but yeah they must be due an overhaul I know when I was on the North East loco desk at EWS it was very rare for any of these loco's to have isolated traction motors unlike the class 60s and 56/58 that often had at least one isolated.

The super tug programme basically involves overhauling up to 21 locos, and while there will be some reliability mods there has been no mention of re-engining. 60007 is the first to be treated, the coat of paint slapped on 011 hides a very tired loco, though no doubt it'll be overhauled if 007 proves successful.

You are dead right about 011 :lol: . It has had some engine work done to it and it worked ok on the 6B13 for a while.There is talk of exam work on the 59's being done at Margam wagon shop.Wonder if there is an improvement in them after the last trial.

Canton should never have been shut as it was very experienced at 60 work. The class 66's are doing ok but need a bit more tlc than they are getting with very few maintenance facilities in the UK.

Your right about there being few UK DBS owned maintenance facilities with Toton, Doncaster and Eastleigh being some of the few capable of major work/overhauls since the mass closure of TMDs such as Crewe Diesel, Thornaby, Canton, Margam etc. Does anyone know when 60007 will be completed?

You would have thought 37419 and 670 got full overhauls before they were repainted, they didnt and less than 2 years later DBS has sold both of them!

With 419 not working harly any revenue earning trains at all.

670 was taken straight off the scrap line at Margam!

There appears to be a P.O.T.O.S thing going on at DB.......

Im sure with all the demic tugs at Toytown the DB can cobble together some 1/2 decent beasts!

Tug 24 appeared in Teesside today, a refreshing change to the 66 monopoly.... and then it failed! Towed by 66143 to Aldwarke

Mike Wiltshire

Failed at Cargo Fleet while running light to Tees Dock this morning. 60096 is now at Tees.

Nice shots Andy - looks even better now it's a bit grubby. The unpainted metal cab air vents are a nice touch to match the handrails

Now that the red one has moved up north, I finally managed to get a shot of Tata Tug 60099 in decent light the other day:

post-6899-0-21817100-1297454168_thumb.jpg

Tata - DB Schenker branded 60099 passing Hall End near Wickwar with 6E41 Westerleigh - Lindsey 8/2/11

cheers

jo

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

lewis,

60071 has joined 60084 back on the Liverpool coals , after something fell on it!.unsure.gif 60011 is on the Oakleigh-Tunsteads and 60045

made a trip to Hope st, Salford earlier. Thats the 60 news I know in Merseyside/cheshire.

HTH

Andy