Rother Valley Railway

roythebus

With so much in the news about the Bluebell extension (good work there chaps), very little has been mentioned here about the RVR.

I keep up to date with their progress via the KESR staff website, but have found a link to the RVR blogspot:http://12rvrnews.blogspot.com/

It seems so far they have, as already reported, relaid the track from the junction with the KESR west of Bodiam to junction road; rebuilt 4 bridges between Robertsbridge and have remade the track foundation on most of the original course. Tracklaying is due to commence soon. The bridges were purchased from NR when they were replaced by new structures on the Ashford main line and stored in someone's garden for a few years!

The whole project is spearheaded by Mike Hart who also helped manage the WHR reconstruction.

When completed, this will enable trains to run from Robertsbridge to Tenterden again.

I've noticed Robertsbridge high street being closed at the bottom end to facilitate this work, & seen the trucks coming in carrying the bridge sections.. The temporary station at Junction Road looks nice amongst the trees, though you don't get to see much when driving past in the car.. (& it's a bit narrow there to stop & gawp...) I'm almost looking forward to the day I get held up at one of the new level crossings.......

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see they're making progress. In some ways the amount of visible activity at Robertsbridge appears to have receded, which must be frustrating as it could be a good advert for those passing on the mainline, but its understandable why they're doing it the way they are. Have they figured out how to cross the A21 yet?

Probably by level crossing, should be fun on a summer Saturday! Otherwise the Highways authority will have to build a bridge to carry the road over the railway. the railway can't tunnel under the road due to the surrounding water level.

Maybe its just me being a bear of little brain, but I found the blog confusing and the website quite out of date ... how far have they got? Where are these bridges going?

And how come they are doing all this seperately from the KESR? Please tell me its not kent's answer to "that welsh railway problem"???

Why is it separate? the KESR had financial problems about 10 years ago and could not possibly afford the extension. As is common business practice, a separate company was formed to re-open the extension to Robertsbridge. I gather a few benefactors have donated what must be large sums of money to finance the project. when it is complete, it will be given to the KESR to manage and operate.

The bridges are going between Robertsbridge and Junction Road as all but one of the original bridges were either not there or beyond further use.

I am not a member of the RVR, so can't really comment further, but I get frequent updates from the KESR members only site.

• RMweb Premium

Probably by level crossing, should be fun on a summer Saturday! Otherwise the Highways authority will have to build a bridge to carry the road over the railway. the railway can't tunnel under the road due to the surrounding water level.

I think you will find its the railway that will have to stump up for the bridge - not the highway authorities. In basic terms its down to who got there first. Railway or cannal reopenings cannot retrospectivley demand someone else to pay for something that was not forseen at the time Thus railways and canals had to pay for (and maintain) bridges over / under pre existing roads and in turn when motorways were built over railways / canals, it is the highways authority who have to pay for and then maintain them. In the case of the Robertsbridge by-pass, the railway was closed before it was built otherwise it would have been down to the road authorities to fund a bridge at the time of its construction. Obviously the costs of a bridge would be enormous for the Rother Valley and so I can well imagine they are trying to get some sort of level crossing instead

• RMweb Gold

The A21 is mega, mega, mega busy on the very days the KESR/RVR would want to operate - Summer Sundays and Bank Holidays - because everyone, his wife and his idiot brother and their ghastly bambini are all headed for the delightful vulgarity of Hastings. I will be delighted beyond belief if this all works, but I would not want to be responsible for the traffic tailbacks for miles - back to Flimwell lights? - while a train gets the right to cross. The KESR is a smashing line - I just cannot suspend disbelief to this extent.

Incidentally a well-known Sector Director's brother - also a senior railwayman - used to live in Northbridge Street.

The Cambrian Railways operation (when it starts) from Llynclys to Oswestry will cross the A483 on the level south of Oswestry and if they extend north to Gobowen will cross the A5 also on the level; neither road could be said to be under used. Both crossings were built when the Oswestry by-pass was constructed as the line was in use for freight only by BR at the time. This may provide a precedent for the Rother Valley Railway.

"all headed for the delightful vulgarity of Hastings" :haha: And one of the best reasons to be travelling in the opposite direction during the summer months.... If the crossing work is done pretty smartly, it shouldn't be too bad;- They're not likely to be running an intensive service, after all... (& it's only the grocks that are going to be really inconvenienced, & they're a pain when they get here anyway....)

This lifted from the KESR staff website:

Pleased to say the four ex Staplehurst bridge spans are back from refurbishment at contractor Brunswick Engineering and are currently at Beevers of Lamberhurst who have applied the finish top coat paint and a thick water proof 'rubberised' mastic to the trough deck. They will now be craned into position and handrail/walkways fitted. Once installed that will then allow access to get a mini excavator to the east side on Bridge No 1 to dig out and concrete its abutment caps. New Bridge No. 1 steel span is also now built and will shortly be assembled adjacent to the bridge site ready to crane in as soon as the abutment tops are ready.

Sufficient concrete sleepered 113lb flat bottom track panels for Northbridge Street straight plus the three points that will be installed on the curve into Robertsbridge station arrive second half of February - about the the time the formation from Northbridge Street to about three quarters of the way round the curve into the station is finished in preparation for track laying.

Mike Hart

Link here to google photos https://plus.google.com/photos/105660130473876538813/album/5704283234607462225?gpinv=AMIXal_JM-ktYrGDLqTb1Sdybbe6U7EeLKROw420LgOAnk5UAe7jg5dU2wDaoCy0pCBxyWukw7Gl2BgVIlce3g0mdsWpmLIUujEY8KBxryWyDmfDL3g-B1Y&hl=en_US#photos/105660130473876538813/albums/5704283234607462225

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New Rolvenden Carriage Shed handed over to the RVR, see the RVR website and blog for details. My computer refuses to let me add the link! 

Also on their latest blog there's news of the connection to Network Rail; work is in progress clearing the vegetation and other associated works.

www.rvr.org  go to "progress" then there's a list of blogs.

Through trains from the Bluebell to Tenterden will be a possibility in the not too distant future!!

Archived