Stewarts Lane 'Electric Loco. Shed'

Shedmaster

Hi IC125,

Thanks for checking in to my latest thread.

You'll see that I'm not giving up on getting this right and have re-started too many times to mention.

Now though, I have got up to the final paint stage for the building floor as I'm more than happy with the finished item.

This is the latest photo available of progress, specifically, a detail shot of the site of the 'Wheel Truing Machine'...

post-7088-0-50441600-1407003894_thumb.jpg

There is always plenty going on here for the project. Alongside the floor work, a yellow 'Weltrol MX' wagon has been made up to represent ADB901018, which has been a Stewarts Lane resident ever since I can remember ! This is looking fantastic and just awaiting decal work as I type.

Even I have made up a wagon for the project, an internal user bogie bolster 'wreck', #960000, used for holding and transporting heavy items around the site...

post-7088-0-57730600-1407004207.jpg

I've made this as a cut and shut from a Bachmann bogie bolster wagon, changing the bogies and chopping off the buffers at one end, still a long way to go such as painting before it's ready to show off !

Finally, the promise of a new-spec Class 73 from Dapol and the Class 59 and 71 from DJM, is really keeping me motivated, really 'chuffed' that these items are being released as they are most definately must haves for this project.

Thanks for following,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just a test posting from my mobile device to include a name change for the topic.

Nothing to worry about as the layout is progressing well here although I know it's about time I posted a proper update....I'm hoping to do this very soon with a few supporting pictures.

The name change is just to clarify what the focus of the project actually is, and that is the supporting workshops of the VSOE British Pullman company, based at Stewarts Lane. The rolling stock in use here will be the main focus, such as the active VSOE Pullman fleet and internal user/stored items, with any Loco. activity purely on a visiting basis as per the early years of my career.

That's all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Happy Christmas Eve to you and your families !

Just a quick update with some pictures to show that progress is continuing with my model of Stewarts Lane.

Firstly, the newest version of the baseboards have been made up. One of these has been done to accommodate one Electric Loco. Shed building - in the same format as that done on 'Worcester Road', whereby the shed building interior is the focal point of the scene. The internal framing structure will be removed and replaced with square bracing to which the floor piece will be securely screwed in place !

The actual site of the building will be a little farther in from the edge, todays work was to prepare for final positioning and fixing and also, track alignment work. By mid 2015 I may actually have some track down!!!

post-7088-0-27052500-1419427359_thumb.jpg

The front of the building will be mainly open so that the working interior can be seen. Although the layout scope has been greatly reduced, the fact is that I want to concentrate on the main building here and its occupants !

There are two baseboards, the second one 'with' the ply topping, is the main yard area :

post-7088-0-49712500-1419427382_thumb.jpg

This enables us to actually have a working diorama with two photographic stages, interior and exterior !

Finally, our latest arrivals here on 'The Lane' are new Hornby 'Royal' Class 67's, 67005 and 67006.

post-7088-0-56255000-1419427399_thumb.jpg

Okay, so still needing some workshop time to fix nameplates and stuff on but as usual I'm just out of time again and on that note will have to disappear back into family life now, as after all, its Christmas Eve again and I've still got things to wrap ! 

Hope you all have a good one,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 10

Hi,

Happy Christmas Eve to you and your families !

Just a quick update with some pictures to show that progress is continuing with my model of Stewarts Lane.

Firstly, the newest version of the baseboards have been made up. One of these has been done to accommodate one Electric Loco. Shed building - in the same format as that done on 'Worcester Road', whereby the shed building interior is the focal point of the scene. The internal framing structure will be removed and replaced with square bracing to which the floor piece will be securely screwed in place !

The actual site of the building will be a little farther in from the edge, todays work was to prepare for final positioning and fixing and also, track alignment work. By mid 2015 I may actually have some track down!!!

attachicon.gifDSCF0993.JPG

The front of the building will be mainly open so that the working interior can be seen. Although the layout scope has been greatly reduced, the fact is that I want to concentrate on the main building here and its occupants !

There are two baseboards, the second one 'with' the ply topping, is the main yard area :

attachicon.gifDSCF0994.JPG

This enables us to actually have a working diorama with two photographic stages, interior and exterior !

Finally, our latest arrivals here on 'The Lane' are new Hornby 'Royal' Class 67's, 67005 and 67006.

attachicon.gifDSCF0995.JPG

Okay, so still needing some workshop time to fix nameplates and stuff on but as usual I'm just out of time again and on that note will have to disappear back into family life now, as after all, its Christmas Eve again and I've still got things to wrap !

Hope you all have a good one,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Great stuff, really coming on now - I admire your perseverance

Can't wait to see this progress.

Mr Shedmaster, it is good to see that you are making progress and sound happy. Which at the end of the day is what it is all about.

Looking good Sir, your 60s will look very nice indeed sat on your board.

Merry Christmas.

Hi Mr Grimley,

Unfortunately I have a confession to make...I've had a major cull of my loco's here to concentrate on building up an accurate VSOE Pullman fleet - I'm DOWN to just four 60's now, 001/019/036 & 042 !

With more new 'Pullmans' arriving from Margate at some point, there are very few vehicles that I can't model for Stew. Lane, simply because some of the prototype's are still in original as built condition and I don't need them up to modern standards i.e the Brighton Belle Driving Cars.

I think the new 'OO' 73's are the next thing in my sights here......I hope to have track down and working by the time they hit the shops.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

p.s

Just to add to the post above, this page on my website contains a full listing of the VSOE 'Pullman' fleet that I'm working with here, so most of these vehicles will I hope appear on the layout at some point.

A large handful have already been modelled.......although, only a few will be seen together at a time.

http://www.stewartslanedepot.co.uk/Stewarts%20Lane%20Rolling%20Stock.html

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 3

p.s

Just to add to the post above, this page on my website contains a full listing of the VSOE 'Pullman' fleet that I'm working with here, so most of these vehicles will I hope appear on the layout at some point.

A large handful have already been modelled.......although, only a few will be seen together at a time.

http://www.stewartslanedepot.co.uk/Stewarts%20Lane%20Rolling%20Stock.html

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I like the idea of modelling the depot for maintaining the Pullmans - that is different.

Will there be a two tone green Deltic occasionally?

I like the idea of modelling the depot for maintaining the Pullmans - that is different.

Will there be a two tone green Deltic occasionally?

Hi,

I do plan to have something 'green' appearing occasionally, however, it won't be 'Deltic' shaped. My plan is to have at least the NRM 71 based here, in tatty condition, as per when I first started going into 'The Lane' as a guard at the beginning of my career.

I'm just sick at how little notice I took in those days and how many photo's I could have amassed and didn't.

Luckily, with two new models due out, I can have a 71 as a fitting tribute thing.....maybe ?

Regarding the 'Deltic' :

Back in 'Manor Lane' day's, when my stock used to be 'active' on the exhibition circuit, I had D9000 and a rake of seven Virgin Mk2's, replicating the Ramsgate runs with my colleagues driving, as it was a HG job. These were later stored o/o/u and then sold due to issues with the club membership finding the couplings a 'difficult' and 'challenging' activity ! Since exhibiting at Warley 2004, this set was stored and sold off and so there are no plans to replace it.

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Now Mr Shedmaster, what is going on? Did I just read that you have had a cull of the class 60 fleet? Surely you were joking? You were right?!!

I am a little disappointed but if needs must. They could have been transferred, I know a place where they could have resided?!!!

Look forward to seeing more progress in 2015.

Now that is what I like to see from a diesel depot layout,

Looking forward to seeing more of the stock. Almost makes me want to get my vsoe project out....

Thanks for the support....I would love to see more VSOE projects as this seems to only have a limited following? Or does the bespoke nature of the coaches deter people from being interested?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Thanks for the support....I would love to see more VSOE projects as this seems to only have a limited following? Or does the bespoke nature of the coaches deter people from being interested?

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Being an ex-Norwood driver that knows the Lane well, I've had the privilege of working the VSOE stock empty to and from Victoria back in the late 80s, so of course this is of great interest to me. Don't forget that quality modelling of any kind deserves a following and this is, without doubt, top quality modelling... I'd still be captivated if I knew nothing of the subject.

• Like 2

Good Morning,

Would anyone be able to advise me on my best options for obtaining models of the following buffer stops please in 'OO' scale ?

They are of a Southern Region design and currently in use at Stewarts Lane Depot in London.

The design is very 'short' in length and fairly basic, but with plates and bolts to keep the things together, for light depot use. I wouldn't be wanting to shunt an aggregates train of any weight up against these too hard!

post-7088-0-86532000-1419939859.jpg

post-7088-0-81009800-1419939897.jpg

post-7088-0-06407700-1419939918_thumb.jp

post-7088-0-64777600-1419939936_thumb.jp

I need three of these and do have a similar PHD kit, however, my detail soldering and kit making skills aren't quite there yet and I would like to know if there is an easier way to get hold of these, and with the plates and bolt detail already provided.

If I could find a kit, I would then be looking for somebody to ask nicely to build them up too.

Any help would be very much appreciated......

Thank You,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

As you've mentioned, PH Designs do a couple of etched buffer stops, although neither are an exact match for those at Stewarts Lane:

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/

I've used both Fleischmann and Roco buffer stops in the past which, again are close... Try typing "Roco buffer stop" and "Fleischmann buffer stop" into Google Images and have a look. I think for an exact match, you'll certainly need to modify. Likewise, my ability to solder fine detail is a bit lacking, so I found the Fleischmann and Roco items to be a good starting point!

Edited by Pete 75C

As you've mentioned, PH Designs do a couple of etched buffer stops, although neither are an exact match for those at Stewarts Lane:

http://www.phd-design-etchings.co.uk/

I've used both Fleischmann and Roco buffer stops in the past which, again are close... Try typing "Roco buffer stop" and "Fleischmann buffer stop" into Google Images and have a look. I think for an exact match, you'll certainly need to modify. Likewise, my ability to solder fine detail is a bit lacking, so I found the Fleischmann and Roco items to be a good starting point!

Hi Pete 75C,

Many Thanks for your help with this. I had looked at these previously and since forgotten them.

I'll be revisiting this idea as a suitable compromise, with some mods.

I think after cutting away the bracings, buffers and roundel, then painting, they will be okay...probably !

Your 'ability to solder fine detail is a bit lacking' comment, was exactly how I meant to put it.....I just haven't honed my detail skills yet - I've been too busy faffing about with the floor for as long as I can remember.

Anyways, Thank You again,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

I think it's down to the complexity of modelling the formation and the length of the VSOE set that puts people off.

I really must get on and get a couple of Brighten Bell coaches to put away for future conversion for my set circa 1998. Though I also need to start my research from scratch again as I had originally researched it circa 2006...

Hi there

I used to sleep and work in this shed around 1999 when I used to volunteer with D9000 ltd. We had this shed to ourselves and just two deltics and a class 50.

Happy days

Very cool recreation and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

• Like 1

I think it's down to the complexity of modelling the formation and the length of the VSOE set that puts people off.

I really must get on and get a couple of Brighten Bell coaches to put away for future conversion for my set circa 1998. Though I also need to start my research from scratch again as I had originally researched it circa 2006...

Mr Fatadder,

I make you exactly right now you mention it, the full length of the train is probably a bit much for many layouts - but in reality, it doesn't have to be that way. I speak of course from personal experience......

For example, when I did my 'ED' training, we used to do a regular transit move from Stew. Lane to Ilford and back with just one Class 73 and one Pullman - to have its tyres turned, and then a different Pullman back out again after tyre turning and back home to 'The Lane'.

The odd thing was always the wooden battens pinned around the end corridor holding bright blue sheets of plastic to keep the weather out during transit.

Another ad-hoc move would sometimes be to come out of 'The Lane' with an 'ED' and two or three Pullmans and turn them - by running down via Lewisham and then back up towards London via Sidcup !

With regards to research........good luck with that!

I have found that the VSOE fleet are very much a continual process thing, things are changing all the time. For example my generator car 6313........the second the EWS paint had dried, VSOE painted their one into Pullman house colours almost right away. Then there was the Mk1 baggage car, 99538. The second our model was released from works, VSOE replaced the real one with 99545 which although a Mk1, had a different window layout altogether !

Anyways, as for my project, 2015 is off to an excellent start...........as I just need to sort some woodwork out to mount my floor to and then it will be track laying time !

Happy New Year indeed !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 4