Wiring for DCC

North Star

I have wired previous N Gauge layouts using computer/telephone multi cored cable. This has always been ok for 1amp use. I am concerned that using DCC the feed is higher typically 3 to 6 amp being recommended. As I am looking to dual wire my layout so I can both run DCC and non DCC locomotives I will need to run separate wiring to conventional DC supply. I therefore want to use multi core wire once again. Is there anyone that can advise what minimum wire I can use

Maybe for short droppers from the bus to individual pieces of rail, but no way for the main DCC power bus.

You need a cable rated quite a bit higher than the rating of your command station. The quoted current rating of a cable is to do with avoiding overheating but with DCC voltage drop is much more of an issue. Too much voltage drop and the command station will fail to cut out if there is a short circuit, leading to risk of things melting or catching fire.

Cable size depends to some extent on the size of your layout but 16/0.2 is an absolute minimum for a small layout in a small gauge and for a larger layout you should be looking at 32/0.2 or thicker. When you have done the wiring you need to check that the short circuit protection is working, usually done by shorting out each section with a coin across the rails.

If you don't need the full 5A of current then get a command station or a DCC circuit breaker that trips out at a lower current.

Wiring for DCC is no different than for DC. Wire them the same as a heavy duty bus and equipment wire droppers then add section switches to create the DC isolation. Keep CAT cables for what they were intended.

• RMweb Gold

I use 2.5mm twin and earth (6242Y for the sparkies out there) conductors stripped from the grey sheath for the bus wires. I then use CAT5 cable, again stripped from the sheath for the droppers. Conveniently it comes with blue and brown twisted pairs to match the mains wiring conductors and I use the green pairs for frog feeds (frogs are green after all).

• RMweb Premium

I use 2.5mm twin and earth (6242Y for the sparkies out there) conductors stripped from the grey sheath for the bus wires. I then use CAT5 cable, again stripped from the sheath for the droppers. Conveniently it comes with blue and brown twisted pairs to match the mains wiring conductors and I use the green pairs for frog feeds (frogs are green after all).

I've used 2.5mm T&E as well (but red and black recovered from our house re-wire) for the main bus, linked with 30A choc blocks, 1.5 or 1.0 T&E (same) for feeds to/from occupancy detectors to 15A choc blocks below the track then 16/0.2 to the tracks and 7.0/2 for frog switching. Have I committed overkill?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

2 considerations:

Your power bus needs to acommodate all your locos.You can probably get by allowing 1/2 amp apiece.

A short will momentarily take the full output of the power supply. I was told that smaller scales should not go above 5 amps because the larger units had the possibility of welding wheels and tracks together.

Thinner grade cable will also cause issues for the short circuit protection in the DCC command station. The increased resistance may restrict current flow and the device will not operate.

I use Car speaker wire. Cheap as chips, easy to work with and easy to get hold of.

• RMweb Premium

CAT5 cable will work but it's far from ideal. Much better to use something a bit heavier like speaker cable.

Personally I'd also avoid using mains cable if only to avoid the risk of accidently getting wires mixed up and feeding the layout with 240V. Getting decent cable in more suitable colours isn't difficult and makes wiring the layout much clearer.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Personally I'd also avoid using mains cable if only to avoid the risk of accidently getting wires mixed up and feeding the layout with 240V. Getting decent cable in more suitable colours isn't difficult and makes wiring the layout much clearer.

The point is that you do not use "mains cable", you use the individual conductors with the outer sheath stripped off. These are no different to any other single wires.

Otherwise you have ruled out ever using red, black, brown or blue at a stroke.

Anyone connecting mains up to individual conductors on a layout, whatever the colours, doesn't know what they are doing, and should not be anywhere near wiring of any sort. The first draft of that comment was much more forthright :no:

Andrew

Archived